Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 04:38:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBattle Brothers - gritty turn based strategy
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Battle Brothers - gritty turn based strategy  (Read 63730 times)
EdFarage
Level 2

I can upload avatars

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 20, 2015, 03:26:26 AM »

i like this
i like this a lot
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: April 20, 2015, 03:36:42 AM »

We did some mockups to see where we want to go with the environments for tactical combat next. These things are not actually in the game yet and will need quite a bit more work before they make their way in, but it does give a good idea of what we're aiming for in the long run.

/paged

Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 20, 2015, 03:45:41 AM »

This is one of my favorte project so far. It looks like so much fun and I'm getting a strong "Warhammer" vibe from it which is cool.

Jaysen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: April 21, 2015, 01:14:01 PM »

Great news:

Battle Brothers will launch to Early Access on April 27th

Finally! We’re all giggly and excited to get the game out there and see what you guys come up with, how you’ll play it, what you’ll think about it and which ideas and feedback you’ll have!

Battle Brothers will launch on Steam and will also be available on the Humble Store and our very own website. We’ll look into other platforms for selling the game as well.

The game will be offered in three different editions.

Basic Edition
This includes the game in its current Early Access version and all future updates up to and including the full game release. It comes at a cost of 19.99$ - depending on region, your price may vary slightly.

Deluxe Edition
The deluxe edition includes the game in its current Early Access version and all future updates up to and including the full game release. Additionally, all buyers will receive the complete Battle Brothers soundtrack as a digital download once it is finished and released. The difference in price to the basic edition will go directly to the fine musicians who are creating all the music for Battle Brothers. It comes at a cost of 24.99$ - depending on region, your price may vary slightly.

Supporter Edition
For those of you who really want to support us in the future development of Battle Brothers we also offer the Supporter Edition. Like the Deluxe Edition, this includes both the game itself and the soundtrack. In addition, you’ll get a digital lore book with a lot of background info about the world and its inhabitants, as well as our very first legendary item in the game, complete with a look of its own and a unique background story: Fangshire.

The Supporter Edition comes at 39.99$ - keep in mind this price is not about the additional content you get, but a chance for you to support further development of Battle Brothers if this is a project you truly believe in.

For all editions, please take note that both the soundtrack and the lore book are not yet done and will only be delivered once they’ve been finalized. You can expect them to be done at around the time the game leaves Early Access.

What’s in the Early Access?
The game is very much playable and stable with all core mechanics in place. It features several scenarios and an open world campaign mode with 20+ different enemies, 80+ items, 42 character perks and thousands of procedurally generated mercenaries for hire. Campaign gameplay is more sandboxy than the final game will be as the overarching story and endgame, along with more content and other features adding to the depth of the game, will be added as the Early Access progresses. The UI is not skinned yet, there will be bugs and the game balance may need some tweaking based on your feedback.

Here are the key features:
  • Procedurally generated worldmap, tactical combat maps and mercenaries.
  • Open and dynamic world simulation that is not scripted - your actions can actually alter the balance of the world.
  • All characters come with their own background stories and traits. Want a stuttering ratcatcher, a greedy witchhunter or a drunkard disowned noble?
  • Permadeath. All characters that die in combat will stay dead - unless they return as the undead.
  • Field up to 12 Battle Brothers on large and varied tactical combat maps with different terrain and multiple height levels.
  • Character development without a restrictive class-system. Each Battle Brother gains experience through combat, can level up and acquire powerful perks.
  • Equipment that matters. Different weapons grant unique skills – split shields with axes, stun enemies with maces, form a spearwall with spears or crush armor with a warhammer.
  • Diverse enemy roster. All enemies have unique equipment, skills and AI behavior.
  • One full hour of orchestral soundtrack with more on the way.

What’s coming next?
Battle Brothers already offers the chance to experience great tales of heroic battle, triumphs against all odds and devastating losses. We have the ambition to take it way further. Here is a list of major features we have planned for the full release of the game:
  • Worldmap story and progression mechanic.
  • Non-combat characters for your mercenary company.
  • Scavenger-hunts for legendary artifacts.
  • A dynamic event system with atmospheric encounters and tough decisions outside of combat.
  • Indoor tactical combat environments, such as dungeons.
  • A fully skinned UI.
  • More content: More enemies, terrain types, items, contracts, character backgrounds and at least one additional major enemy faction acting in the world.

Battle Brothers - A gritty turn based RPG
- Developers Blog - Facebook- Twitter
Jaysen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: April 27, 2015, 12:35:54 PM »

Battle Brothers released to Early Access!

Finally! After all that waiting you can now experience for yourself how it feels to get your men slaughtered and, in some rare cases, even emerge victorious in a game of Battle Brothers. We hope you enjoy playing the game as much as we enjoyed designing it!

Please keep in mind that this game was just released into Early Access and is far from finished. We consider it a solid foundation upon which we can now build a truly great game over the course of the next year.

Where to get it
The best place for buying the game is at our very own website. You’ll receive a Steam key with which you can start playing right away. In addition, you may leave a tip to further support us if you want.

You can also get the game on Steam itself, especially if you want the Deluxe Edition or Supporter Edition.

Feedback and Bugs Reports
Head over to our forums at http://battlebrothersgame.com/forums/forum/game-discussion/ to share your opinion, tell us of your ideas and experiences, and give us feedback.

It’s pretty much inevitable that once all of you play the game a pile of bugs and glitches will turn up that we never experienced before. We’ll do our very best to fix any issues in a timely manner, but we also need your help.

Please report any bugs at our forums at http://battlebrothersgame.com/forums/forum/bugreports/ and try to follow the guide in the sticky post.

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 27, 2015, 05:12:44 PM »

Just bought a copy. Best of luck on your Early Access launch.

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 04, 2015, 06:00:26 AM »

So I gave this a spin over the weekend and ended up dropping about 5 hours into the game. Which (if you know me) is a big deal. Most of the games in my library have a playtime of about 15-45 minutes. This game is really hard, but I really enjoyed myself and found it very addictive.

Looks like you guys are off to a pretty decent start sales wise and those user reviews are great. I'm not at all surprised, hope the success continues to move your way. You guys have a great game here. At some point I will get around to dropping (yet another) positive review on Steam.

Jaysen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: May 04, 2015, 07:07:27 AM »

Thanks a lot!
Always happy to get some positive feedback. You do the best you can but before actually hitting that "publish" button on steam you have no idea how it will be received. Now its a lot of bug fixing and then on to implementing new features.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: May 04, 2015, 07:15:39 AM »

98% positive reviews
2% negative reviews
wow  Shocked

and to think i was happy with our ratio on warlocks vs shadows

82% positive reviews
18% negative reviews
Shrug

congratz!

anyways, i have to buy this when i have some money
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 07:22:15 AM by ANtY » Logged

Jaysen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: May 04, 2015, 09:59:17 PM »

Yeah, we are really happy about the reviews!

It is a bit tricky going into Early Access because the game has to work as is - thats what most people base their reviews on. They do not really care for the grand plan or a feature that will be implemented in 4 months. Still, i think a big factor for the positive reviews is to engage as much as possible with the community and take their suggestions and ideas seriously and make them part of the development (we wont put feautures up for vote though as someone suggested).

Jaysen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: May 07, 2015, 01:03:46 AM »

We have just more than a week of Early Access behind us so here is a quick recap and outlook on the next step!

Recap: One week of Early Access

Battle Brothers launched into Early Access just about a week ago and so far it has been quite a ride!

First of all, a big thank you to all who have supported us by buying the game, giving feedback and suggestions, and reporting bugs! Please keep it up and keep spreading the word and help us getting people to know about Battle Brothers!

It’s now possible to upgrade your game to the Supporter Edition directly on Steam if you’ve enjoyed yourself playing the game and want to further support the development of Battle Brothers.

During the past week we were busy mainly with answering questions and fixing the most urgent of bugs. Nevertheless, we managed to squeeze in some smaller balancing changes and quality-of-life improvements based on your requests. Now that the dust of the launch is slowly settling we’ll soon change our focus again on adding new features to the game.

What’s next on the list?

We’ll soon start working on our first new feature: The event system.

While traveling the world a lot of unforeseen things can happen and surprise you. These events can occur anytime and anyplace and will force you to make tough decisions outside combat. Just to give you random example of what might be; if there is a Battle Brother with a criminal background in your mercenary company, a passing guard patrol might recognize that character and demand you hand him over as a prisoner or face the consequences. Similarly, individual characters in your group might interact depending on their backgrounds and traits - will the adventurous noble get along with the lazy sluggard beggar?

Events like this will not be entirely random but depend on what happens in the world and which characters are in your company. Their outcomes will be partially randomized for the sake of replayability. The possibilities for creating interesting, challenging and morally ambiguous events are limitless.

The event system is also much more than just the events themselves. It lays the foundation for a dialogue system that allows the player to interact with all parties on the worldmap like caravans or patrols. This will open up a lot of opportunities to create interesting encounters and make the player feel a lot more like a part of the world. Depending on how the event system works out, the whole contract system may also see a complete overhaul in the future to make for something more engaging than the current wall of text.

At this point it’s difficult to estimate how long it will take to get the event system into the game so we won’t give an ETA here. Make sure to follow our developer’s blog to always get the latest updates and we will tell you about our weekly progress.

deab
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 07, 2015, 01:15:05 AM »

Great write up on RPS, look forward to trying this when I have more time.
Jaysen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: May 24, 2015, 04:21:40 AM »

We will be working full-time on Battle Brothers in the future! You can get some more details on this and the roadmap of development in our small progress update:

Dev Blog #42: Progress Update - Going Full Time and A Small Roadmap

Time for some good news!

It’s been more than three weeks now since Battle Brothers released into Early Access and so far it has been pretty successful. The game was well received and we got a lot of helpful feedback from all of you, much of which we’ll incorporate into the game over the course of the next year. There is a lot still left to do, of course, but things are looking bright.

The game has also been a financial success for us. As you may be aware, Battle Brothers was developed by a core team of just 3 people over the course of nearly 2 years in their spare time while also working day jobs. The recent success now allows us to quit our day jobs and start working fulltime on Battle Brothers. That’s right, we’re about to have a lot more time we can put into the game and should be able to make progress much faster than before!

The downside for now is that quitting our day jobs and going full time is not something we can do over night. As you may know from experience yourselves, changing jobs always comes with a lot of organizational hurdles. Getting legal stuff out of the way, setting up new workplaces, doing a clean handover for you former job, existing contractual obligations, and so on. We are looking at a transitional period  that will keep us pretty busy over the next couple of weeks.

During these next weeks we won’t be able to make much progress on the game itself and provide you with updates as frequently as before. It’s all worth it, however, because once things are settled, the game should progress at a much faster pace than in the 2 years before, and we’re already looking forward to really get going!

A big thank you to all of you who made this, our dream of working on our very own game, possible! And an extra big thank you to those of you who supported us even more by getting the Supporter Edition!

A Small Roadmap

To give you a better idea of our immediate plans, once we have settled into working full time on Battle Brothers, we also want to share a small roadmap with you.

1) Event System
As explained in our last blog post, our next immediate goal is the addition of the event system to add interesting encounters and tough decisions outside of combat, as well as laying the foundations for dialog and a future rework of the contract system. Because a lot of events will change depending on what backgrounds or traits your Battle Brothers have, it'll also add a layer of complexity to character backgrounds beyond just their different stats.

2) Goblins
Next up are Goblins. Those are the green skinned cousins of the orcs that have an entirely different fighting style. While orcs rely on physical prowess and brute-forcing their way through your ranks, goblins lack the physical power to do so. In fact, they’re quite fragile individually, more so than your average Battle Brother. In battle they rely on their wits and dirty tricks instead, preferring to fight at range. Goblins come with their own arsenal of unique weaponry and skills - throwing nets to incapacitate their enemies, arrows with terrible poison and long jagged pikes. Goblins should add an entirely new challenge to combat in Battle Brothers and are also meant to be a missing piece of the puzzle that is game balance by making ranged combat more important. No longer is the nimble swordmaster safe from all danger!

3) Rework of the Worldmap

The third and by far largest step on our immediate roadmap is a rework of the worldmap as a whole. It’s quite clear that the world simulation, as it is now, is not satisfactory. With the resources available to us now and the lessons learned so far, we’re going to design new gameplay around commandeering a mercenary company in a low-fantasy medieval world. We already have a solid concept for this, and we’ll update you once things are further along. Yes, there will be multiple human factions working against each other. And yes, we’ll make contracts a lot more interesting and dynamic.

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 24, 2015, 06:14:40 AM »

Congratulations on the success you guys have had so far. You guys seem to be doing really well sales wise, especially for an early access game. But as someone who has played the game for 10+ hours, I'm not in the least bit surprised. Looking forward to where you guys take this game.

Jaysen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: May 25, 2015, 12:51:32 AM »

Thanks a lot!
I just whish someone would take all that organizational stuff of my shoulders so we could straight jump into development. But thats the way the world turns Wink

Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: May 25, 2015, 03:32:01 AM »

Congratulations on being able to work full-time! Battle Brothers seems like a game that needs a lot of careful balancing and attention (and being able to work full-time will probably give you a bigger focus). I think I'll get the game when it's out of EA since I'm a fan of dark and gritty fantasy.

Regarding positive reviews I've seen that on quite a few Early Access games as of late, I think the key is to meet the consumer's expectation. What you see is what you get, sort of. I think you've done a good job there by delivering a solid experience and also marketing it as such.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 06:12:01 AM by Greipur » Logged

Jaysen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: May 25, 2015, 11:17:31 PM »

We didnt want to go the "just promise what the people want to hear" route so we decided against doing a kickstarter. We wanted to present the real deal so people could actually see what the game will be like before getting it. Although this made things really hard for us in the past I think it was the right choice in hindsight.

Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: May 26, 2015, 01:09:14 AM »

We didnt want to go the "just promise what the people want to hear"

Yeah, I think this is the heart of the problem with crowdfunding and early access. You shouldn't oversell something, but if you don't you might not inspire anyone to buy an unfinished game. It's hard to find the golden path in that conflict. But I'm happy you found another way that you feel have been worth it.

Jaysen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: June 26, 2015, 04:33:51 AM »

Hey there, time for another update!

We now added the event-system to the game to add some more flavor to the worldmap gameplay. Read more about it below:

Dev Blog #43: Introducing the Event System

Time sure flies by fast! It’s been a full month now since we announced that we’d go full time and needed some weeks to get everything sorted out. While we took care of business and set up our new workspaces, we were also featured on the Steam Summer Sale for a day. Yay!

We’re happy to let you know that we’re now back in the saddle again. Both Christof (the programmer) and Jan (the manager) have moved to work full time on Battle Brothers. The last of the bunch, Paul (the artist), will join us mid-July. Development pace should now pick up again.

As previously announced, the first item on our roadmap is the introduction of an event system for the game. Today’s update to the game adds just that, so let’s take a closer look...

The Event System

Managing a mercenary company is not an easy thing. Not only do you need to command your men in battle, now your leadership skills are tested outside of combat as well. It’s easy to forget at times that the little guys you control are supposed to be humans. As humans, they sometimes have their own agenda, they have strengths and weaknesses in character, they may change with time, they may quarrel or bond with each other, and they’ll come to you with requests. While traveling on the worldmap, a lot can happen, much of which we can now convey to you with events.

To kick things off, we’ve added 47 events to the game. These include things that you can just stumble upon while traveling the world, some things that require you to be at certain places, as well as things that require characters of certain backgrounds or traits in your party. Some backgrounds may not play well together, and some may have advantages or disadvantages also outside of combat. What choices you have available at events may depend on what characters you have, and the outcome of your choices may differ as well.

Those 47 events are pretty much a vertical slice of what we want to ultimately achieve with the events, showing a bit of everything. Some events are comprised of only a single scene, some are quite complex and contain a dozen different scenes. It’s not nearly enough events yet to cover everything, of course, but we intend to add a lot more as we go along to make for a varied and reactive experience. Keep in mind that as everything else in this game, the event system is in Early Access too, and not finished. Once we add additional mechanics in the future, such as player reputation in the world, we’ll also weave this into the event system to trigger different events depending on your reputation, and to allow for events to change the reputation you have.

Note that you do not have to start a new campaign to have events in your game, your old save should load just fine. However, you’ll get the most out of the events with a new campaign.

Character Moods

Together with the events we also implemented a ‘mood system’ that tracks a mercenary’s current mood on an individual level. This was necessary as many events potentially influence how your mercs feel and how motivated they are. We model this by a scale ranging from ‘euphoric’ all the way down to ‘angry’. A character in good spirits receives a bonus to his resolve while a disgruntled character will probably be more reluctant to risk his neck for you.

For example, a highborn noble gets into a fight with a lowborn servant - depending on how you, as the leader, decide to handle the situation there might be people upset or satisfied in the end. The effect on your mercenaries’ moods adds another layer of consequence to your decisions during events and makes them more meaningful and impactful. Getting all the different characters in your mercenary company to work together can be a challenge in itself.

New Weapons

While we were at it, we also added a few more weapons to the game.

From left to right: Wooden Flail and Reinforced Wooden Flail - agricultural tools turned weapon, these are lower tier variants of the Flail. Woodcutter’s Axe - a two-handed axe meant to fell trees, but will fell men just as well. Warbrand - a hybrid between a one-handed and a two-handed sword.

What’s next?

We’ll keep a close eye on the changes we’ve just introduced and will likely provide smaller but more frequent updates for a while to iron out any issues and make minor content additions. Once things are looking good, we’ll target the next item on our roadmap - the Goblin faction. This will be the largest update to date and come together with a lot of other changes, such as to AI and the leveling system. We want to do as many of these changes as we can in one go, because unfortunately that update will then have to break compatibility with save games from previous versions of the game.

Changelog

Added new event mechanic on the worldmap with 47 different events to start with. We'll continually add new events from now on.
Added two new combat music tracks exclusive to fighting bandits and beasts, respectively.
Added a limit to the amount of food, ammo, tools and medicine that can be carried at once. Previously, the player could haul giant stockpiles of everything around the countryside, essentially removing these resources as a consideration and additional means to pay upkeep. This change should make them stay relevant.
Added Warbrand as a two-handed sword variant.
Added Woodcutter's Axe as a lower tier two-handed axe.
Added Wooden Flail and Reinforced Wooden Flail as lower tier flails.
Added Masterwork Bow.
Added ability to pause the game on the worldmap also using the 'Pause' key. Makes sense.
Changed Skeleton Guards to have 8 AP (up from 6) to bring them in line with other skeletons and enable them to stick to the bulk of the fighting force.
Changed fatigue costs for movement to be double across the board. Movement hardly factored into fatigue before and this should provide another drawback for using heavy armor, especially when fighting more skirmish-oriented opponents, such as the upcoming Goblins.
Changed Athletic and Clubfooted traits to have double the effect on fatigue costs for movement.
Changed Taunt skill to be more effective.
Changed crossbows to be reloaded automatically after combat ends.
Changed amount of crowns the player receives from selling loot to be lower.
Fixed flipping the map during an AI turn potentially preventing the game from proceeding.
Fixed game refusing to continue during an AI turn under specific conditions.
Fixed laggy UI after changing character name and confirming with return key.
Fixed Gravedigger background incorrectly using text of the Graverobber background.
Fixed incorrect icon for Impale skill of the pitchfork.
Fixed Berserk perk sometimes not working correctly.
Fixed inaccurate sell prices shown on items in the shop interface.

Jaysen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: July 02, 2015, 07:23:20 AM »

Now we are picking up speed, we have a new update for you. This time we added a mechanic that allows enemies to retreat from the battle:

Dev Blog #44: Retreating Enemies

This week’s update adds a new feature to the game - enemies can now retreat from battle! Also, we’ve added a new weapon, a new armor, and a bunch of new events. Existing events have been tweaked a bit for more balanced outcomes and trigger conditions, and the bugs that surfaced after last week’s larger update have been fixed.

Retreating Enemies

Chasing that last surviving bandit marksman on a forest map isn’t always that fun, so non-undead enemies now have the ability to retreat from the battlefield should they perceive there to be no chance of winning the encounter. Just like the player, the AI has to reach the map border in order to retreat safely, giving you the chance to intercept them if you want to let noone escape, or get all the loot.

Whether an AI combatant retreats or not depends on a few factors, such as how many of his allies are still with him, how many have already fallen, and how many men the player still has. For the time being, the AI will not attempt to flee a battle from the beginning, even if they’re outnumbered. The option of retreat is meant for the last few scattered survivors. The actual thresholds for when individual combatants make use of it may still need some numbers tweaking.

We know that this doesn’t solve the issue of chasing enemy archers across the map in its entirety, but it is a good step in the right direction that makes sense in the context of the game world. We’ll eventually introduce a few more tools that will enable the player to better handle such situations.

New Weapon

This week we introduce the Butcher’s Cleaver, a tool used for hacking through meat and bone. It is a low tier variant of the older Military Cleaver and a possible starting item for characters with the butcher background.

Changelog

Added ability for non-undead enemies to retreat from battle should they perceive there to be no chance of winning.
Added 8 new events.
Added Butcher's Cleaver as a lower tier variant of the Military Cleaver and a possible starting item for characters with the butcher background.
Added Werewolf Hide Armor.

Changed some events for more balanced outcomes and trigger conditions.
Changed out mood icons for better readable ones.
Changed Pathfinder perk to now also reduce the fatigue cost for movement to half.
Changed Necromancer to walk at a slightly less brisk pace across the battlefield.

Fixed quickload/quicksave unintentionally being disabled.
Fixed bug that had militia spawned with the Woodcutter's Axe show as unarmed and unable to take their turn in combat.
Fixed issue with savegames not loading correctly when the player has a Masterwork Bow. The savegames in question should now load correctly again.
Fixed time not pausing correctly when switching tasks.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic