Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:06:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsButton Up! - Android and iOS - latest release: 13th March 2015
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20
Print
Author Topic: Button Up! - Android and iOS - latest release: 13th March 2015  (Read 48489 times)
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #360 on: March 18, 2015, 05:40:15 AM »

Today I'm grateful for Lord Mountbutton, he's so easy to just drop into the game, this is the new ending sequence, all of 8 lines of code...

So all the levels are done, lots of new audio, new graphics etc. which means it's time to submit another chapter for review and release!

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #361 on: March 18, 2015, 07:44:05 AM »

Also being used for the "out of lives" sequence

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 18, 2015, 08:58:54 AM »

He's great. Could use a bit more banter options though, I see him repeat the same jokes a bit often.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 19, 2015, 05:44:40 AM »

So I noticed this discussion on reddit/r/colorblind about puzzle games based on colour, and then I realised that you only put in the dots to help me out early on as your main but colour-blind playtester, which indirectly planted the seed for jumping from molecules to sewing.

In other words: you got this improved theme because you thought of the colour blind early on!

I don't believe in karma, but I think this is a nice example of why thinking of those among us with limitations during design leads to solutions that benefit everyone. Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #364 on: March 19, 2015, 08:19:46 AM »

Right, that's v0.9.6 submitted for review! KNOCKING EM DOWN!

He's great. Could use a bit more banter options though, I see him repeat the same jokes a bit often.

I've put that as my first item for the next release; to allow Gavin and Simon to modify LMB's speech, that is to say, de-couple the text from the code into external language files. Which will pave the way for translations too, I think the game is getting mature enough to start on this path without too much fear of things changing...

So I noticed this discussion on reddit/r/colorblind about puzzle games based on colour, and then I realised that you only put in the dots to help me out early on as your main but colour-blind playtester, which indirectly planted the seed for jumping from molecules to sewing.

In other words: you got this improved theme because you thought of the colour blind early on!

I don't believe in karma, but I think this is a nice example of why thinking of those among us with limitations during design leads to solutions that benefit everyone. Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley

We owe you bigtime for all your feedback! You've been super influential in how I've approached game development and prioritising ideas. In fact, I've just added you to the "Beers Owed" spreadsheet...

Kurtis Beaulac
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 19, 2015, 12:24:15 PM »

Have you enjoyed playing?

Yeah, it's very playable mechanic, i like it! Hand Thumbs Up Left
But methinks this game requires some simplification. For example, you can make intro-tutorial easier, because your gameplay is intuitive Wink At the same time, it can be individually
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 25, 2015, 03:06:19 AM »

Also being used for the "out of lives" sequence

150 minutes?

Edit: Ah, i get it, 5 * 30, right? (I only read the left gif.)
Is it possible to wait only 30 minutes to play again with one heart?
Seaport
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #367 on: March 30, 2015, 11:38:34 PM »

You had me when Lord Mountbutton used the word 'gumption'  Smiley
Looks like a really a stylish,well put together and interesting game, I'm going to download it once I get home and give it a go   

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 31, 2015, 02:06:33 AM »

Latest version appears broken on my girlfriend's iPad Air - when entering a level the game freezes before the level overlay ("3 perfect patterns", etc) even appears.
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #369 on: March 31, 2015, 02:11:37 AM »

Just back from a weeks skiing holiday and playing catchup, lots going on in camp oodavid...

Latest version appears broken on my girlfriend's iPad Air - when entering a level the game freezes before the level overlay ("3 perfect patterns", etc) even appears.

Good spot dude! We fixed that bug yesterday and sent it off for expedited review, got the confirmation that it's live but I think it takes a day or so to propagate - the fixed version is 0.9.7

You had me when Lord Mountbutton used the word 'gumption'  Smiley
Looks like a really a stylish,well put together and interesting game, I'm going to download it once I get home and give it a go   

Cheers Seaport! Hope you like it, give me all the feedback - be brutal if you want to Smiley

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #370 on: March 31, 2015, 05:45:52 AM »

I got around to playing this.
I liked it once the depth of mechanics became evident but the first few stages masked the code of the game with their over-simplification.
It's probably unavoidable due to the all-ages / 'lowest common denominator' thing which is more important on the mobile platform
I guess I should have skipped the tutorial if I wanted the game to be harder

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #371 on: April 03, 2015, 06:59:34 AM »

@Mittens - thanks for giving it a go, I keep coming back to the tutorial levels and wondering the same thing, now that the scoring / star-rating logic has been vastly simplified the whole game feels a lot more straight forward so i think you're right about getting a bit more information in there...

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 19, 2015, 03:27:09 AM »

Is this project still alive?
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #373 on: May 19, 2015, 03:52:46 AM »

Hey Job! Indeed it is!

My wife has just had surgery for a cochlear implant and is off work for a few weeks, I'm taking the opportunity to spend time with her. Since I'm still freelancing the game is taking a bit of a back-seat.

A super brief rundown of happenings:

• We've started experimenting with Facebook Ads
  • I want to integrate Facebook analytics as it can feed into the Facebook Ads platform (and in itself is pretty powerful)
  • Seeing success in non-english speaking countries means internationalisation / localisation is on the cards
  • Money is starting to trickle in
  • We're going to give the first-time-user-experience another work-over (yes, for the nth time, it's important!)
  • We've got a physical marketing strategy brewing: posters and flyers have been designed, just looking at budgets etc.
  • There's a new chapter designed: "The Caves", we just need to balance the levels
  • I'm optimising the map for speed and to not "look shit" on iOS

Of that ^ list I think the Facebook Ads / Analytics is the most interesting, I'll try to make time to update this thread with my findings Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 19, 2015, 04:40:10 AM »

My wife has just had surgery for a cochlear implant and is off work for a few weeks, I'm taking the opportunity to spend time with her. Since I'm still freelancing the game is taking a bit of a back-seat.
Figured it was something in your personal life - at least this sounds like something positive! Smiley

Hope you also have some monetization plans for those of us who hate ads on principle? (like me)
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #375 on: May 19, 2015, 04:59:56 AM »

Figured it was something in your personal life - at least this sounds like something positive! Smiley

Hope you also have some monetization plans for those of us who hate ads on principle? (like me)

Yeah all good!!

Tis the other way round, we're running ads on facebook to get new players, ie:

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 19, 2015, 06:55:40 AM »

Ah, like that. Well, I'm already a fan, so that doesn't matter Tongue
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #377 on: May 19, 2015, 08:18:21 AM »

Facebook Advertising

I went to a talk by a developer at leaf.fm on their experiences with Facebook Ads to drive up app-installs, with a budget of £300 ($465) per month for 8 months they managed to get to 140,000 installs, not bad for £2,400! ($3,700). Their process was pretty logical and because this was their first foray into Facebook Ads they were learning as they went and their insights were in recent memory. V. handy!

To sum up their knowledge:

• Your goal is to create as many ads as you can, variations of imagery, text, call-to-action etc.
  • Facebook automatically optimises the ads that are the most effective (thus cheap)
  • For £300 / month you should be looking to have 10 campaigns with a budget of £1 per-day
  • Try to target an audience that is small(ish), maybe 500,000 users; that way you can try to saturate niche groups, then move on
  • Localise your text for foreign markets, even just the advert and preview images in the app-store is enough to drive conversions
  • Use the analytics as part of a feedback cycle in creating more ads...

• Have a successful campaign? Modify the others to follow suit
    • Are certain ad variations more effective? Try variations along those lines

Our Experience So Far

Well, we've only been doing this for a few weeks and the results have been promising, by investing the £60 ($90) of In-App-Purchases into Facebook Ads we've managed to double the amount of new and returning players, which is great! Hopefully this will lead to a nice cycle of growth.

On top of re-investing all the app-related revenue I'm going to put in £300 / month for ads; I liked the numbers leaf.fm were throwing around, it all adds up nicely. And to be fair, I want to make a success of this, and I'm fortunate in that I can afford the outlay.

^ We have a campaign running in the Philippines and have got the cost-per-install down to about 5p, with tweaking we should be able to get lower, maybe 3p or 2p. Even with the higher cost that will still see 600 new players per month. Multiply that by the 10 campaigns and we'll be looking at 6,000 new players per month. After a year; 72,000 players.

slarti88
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 19, 2015, 11:16:55 AM »

Just tried it out... the game looks and plays beautifully! Congratulations on that!

Also quite interested in seeing your experiments at making the game a financial success. All the best!

Working on 'The Light Inside Us'
Twitter - http://twitter.com/slarti
Devlog - http://bit.ly/1JPumh4
Dewfreak83
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #379 on: May 19, 2015, 07:27:58 PM »

Great to see how this progressed over time! I love the marketing info - can you share what your plans are for the physical marketing campaign?

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic