Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:06:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLet's Go Camping! = LowPoly3D + Camping + Dungeons
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Let's Go Camping! = LowPoly3D + Camping + Dungeons  (Read 21525 times)
Buddy_DoQ
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 28, 2014, 10:01:03 PM »

Let’s Go Camping!

A FPS roguelike(lite) dungeon crawler, whereby dungeons are reached by hiking, camping, and surviving a vast overworld wilderness.

The art style is LowPoly Flatshaded 3D because I love it, and it's time, people. It's time.

Let's Go Camping! Website

More Screenshots!

Go Camping

Hike out into the great unknown; explore the cool, the strange, the weird. Hunt for food, keep yourself alive, and set up camp when you want a new base of operations. Build a fire to keep your exposure levels in check, and pitch a tent to save your progress. Fun and relaxing! To start, there will be 3 fine parks for you to camp: a Temperate Forest, a Rain Shadowed Desert, and an Arctic Tundra.

Deadly Dungeons

In Let's Go Camping!, caves, dungeons, and temples are everywhere. Most are randomly generated, full of monsters, death traps, and shiny loot. Temples will offer you a hand-crafted thinking man’s challenge, while the smaller caves and such will require fast feet and even faster arrows. Dungeons will be absolutely unforgiving, and only sharp reflexes and wit will keep you alive.

Epic Loot

Find unique items that change the way you play. Unlock hidden treasures that lead you to more hidden treasures! Enhance your camping gear with fresh new forms and functions with stuff that previous campers, uh, might have left behind. Or perhaps a shiny monster-slaying magic weapon is more your brand?Bow and ArrowsStart your hike off right with an archery kit as the main and default weapon. How far back you draw is how far you shoot! Arrows stick and stay where you shoot them. Shoot anything that moves, or looks at you funny. I mean, it’s your bow and arrows, so you can shoot whatever you want, whenever you want (we’re not the boss of you!) Heads up though, some monsters don’t notice if you shoot them with just any ol’ arrow, they may require something with a little more… fire. (or ice, or poison, or magic, or whatever other crazy thing we might come up with!)

Interactive, Gender Agnostic, Subjective Storytelling

Things happen out there, and you caused it. Shoot trees, chase rabbits, and mess around with everything you find. You never know what will happen until you push all the buttons, pull all the levers, open up all the treasure chests, and destroy all the meanie head monsters. Unlock the mysteries of long-lost civilizations with a narrative told between the lines. Just fuzzy enough for you to draw your own conclusions. There’s no pre-determined player character archetype or backstory, you are who you say you are, with no references to age, sex, race, or religion. Just you and your imagination.

Flatshaded Lowpoly 3D

High fidelity flatshaded 3D graphics with modern bloom, occlusion, and global illumination techniques that make you feel part of the world! In an effort to cram as much charm and polish into our game, we've elected to go with a minimalist lowpoly style. With hand crafted animations and stylings, this game will be a living, breathing work of neo-retro 3D art; and you’re invited to go camping right inside of it.

Straight-up Crazy

One of the things you’ll quickly discover while camping is how silly things can get out there. One day you’re face to face with a typical green slimy Glob mob, and the next you're being chased across the tundra by an elite Polar Bear Warrior with dual popsicle swords! There’s a place for everything, and everything has its place. Just sometimes the place is a bit... off...

Steamburger Studios
@SteamburgerStud on twitter
steamburger-studios on Tumblr
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 11:19:31 AM by Buddy_DoQ » Logged

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 01:44:44 AM »

A really interesting approach to the roguelike genre.

How will the survival part work? I see there's a campfire; can the player horde resources here / carry things around? Ooh, will the UI for your gear be a rucksack?

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
Buddy_DoQ
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 10:07:07 AM »

A really interesting approach to the roguelike genre.

How will the survival part work? I see there's a campfire; can the player horde resources here / carry things around? Ooh, will the UI for your gear be a rucksack?

Thanks! I just hope it works out to be fun!

Survival is still pen&paper for now, but the basic idea is hunting, gathering, and setting up camp. The more in-world we can make all of this, the better IMHO. First iteration will likely be scroll wheel + a modifier button for selecting items in your inventory, and RMB to set camp items in the world. It may be that you cannot eat until you have a fully setup camp, but know that we are not looking to turn this into chopping down everything that might have a resource and spending hours collecting enough wood, coal, meat, etc.

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 07:08:34 PM »

Saw you on screenshot saturday. Love the concept!

Buddy_DoQ
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 07:49:20 AM »

Saw you on screenshot saturday. Love the concept!

Awesome! Thanks!  Gentleman

Slapped up this quick 'official' page here, it has all the important info (and some placeholder stuff for the inevitable greenlight) for anyone who wants to share: http://www.steamburgerstudios.com/LetsGoCamping/

Did a ton of marketing this week, and we released the Ouya edition of our first game, Cannon Ballers yesterday.

Let's Go Camping was featured in this weeks Indie Games in GIFS at IndieGames.com, and I started our IndieDB entry as well. Already up to 7 followers there, and the pre-alpha video has a lot more views in 3 days than most other stuff I've ever done after many months. So I'm pretty extremely happy with how well received this concept has been, and excited to jump back into development full-time next week.

I'll be looking into expanding the camping side of the game first, starting with tents and other placeable gear.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 10:12:33 AM »

Just saw this on IndieGames, love the art style and the idea is awesome. Probably too early to ask but do you have different kinds of environments planned?

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Buddy_DoQ
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 10:54:11 AM »

Just saw this on IndieGames, love the art style and the idea is awesome. Probably too early to ask but do you have different kinds of environments planned?

Thanks! Environment themes have been discussed with our concept artist; he's got some killer ideas for winter-theme mobs/dungeons, and I'm itchy with anticipation to see how that turns out. There are some pretty wild things planned, but I don't want to speak out of turn. Suffice to say, the major environmental tropes will be represented in some way or another.

AullenVerch
Level 0

The univertse is vast!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 11:01:57 PM »

I reeeally like the art style.  Wizard

I'm working on a low-poly game as well. I've seen you at /r/low_poly.
I'll be following this, keep up the good work!

And a suggestion. I feel like giving the leaves and flames
less smooth curves would help suit to your style more. 
AullenVerch
Level 0

The univertse is vast!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 04:49:31 AM »

where are those giant bunnies I saw on /r/low_poly!??  Shocked
Buddy_DoQ
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 11:13:34 AM »

where are those giant bunnies I saw on /r/low_poly!??  Shocked

Soooon! Cheesy I'm busy hooking them all up as interactive objects that do interesting things, so that I can make a new video!

But here's the GIF so everyone here knows what's up (and that they are loved)

and bonus close-up of our first in-game mob... that currently has no animation or AI... but soooon!

Buddy_DoQ
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 01:39:12 PM »

Good Morning Campers!

A professional animator has joined me as my co-dev! We worked pretty closely as part of the cinematic team at Trion San Diego before it closed last year, so it's super awesome to be teaming up again. It's like coming back from vacation to start the next crunch cycle. Heh.

Toast Right Toast Left

Nailed down the approximate size of the game, and how many "zones/climates" we will be working on for release. These are Temperate, Winter/Tundra, and Cowboy Desert. Each zone will have a set of unique dungeons, creatures, and items. Two additional zones are getting concept art for possible post-release update(s).

Around the first of March we are headed to Greenlight and Kickstarter in an attempt to cross-promote and secure some funding for full-time development and things we will need, but don't currently have. Should funding go well, I'll be in the perfect position to slam on the accelerator and start hammering out content until we can start alpha testing and iteration. More details and links for this coming soon!

Dungeon Slime!

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 02:16:10 PM »

Yet another Kickstarter to support?! A college student can only spare so much

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Buddy_DoQ
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 02:22:30 PM »

Please don't starve! Secure your monthly beef jerky and ramen noodle rations before backing any game, even ours!  Hand Fork Left

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 02:39:11 PM »

Please don't starve! Secure your monthly beef jerky and ramen noodle rations before backing any game, even ours!  Hand Fork Left
Lol
I'm budgeting $50, $25 for Path of Shadows, $25 for something else. I was thinking Witchmarsh, but man, I love my minimalist art styles, survival, exploration, and roguelikes
Too many promising games, not enough $$ for all of them
---
Okay, back to Let's Go Camping: what kind of weapons are you planning on having in the game? Looking at the screenshots and style of the bow, the hunting aspect, I get a more contemporary vibe and think muskets, hunting rifles, the like. But dungeons and monsters seem to imply swords and more medieval style weapons

Buddy_DoQ
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 03:51:19 PM »

---
Okay, back to Let's Go Camping: what kind of weapons are you planning on having in the game? Looking at the screenshots and style of the bow, the hunting aspect, I get a more contemporary vibe and think muskets, hunting rifles, the like. But dungeons and monsters seem to imply swords and more medieval style weapons

Great question!

So, with Let's Go Camping! the bow is your primary killing tool. There will be a variety of arrow types, conditions (lighting a normal arrow on fire) and even bow types to help you with the various types of killing that needs doing. We're currently working out our wants and desires for other weapons and items right now, so I do not want to say yes or no to guns or swords or magic wands, etc at this time.

One of the goals for developing Let's Go Camping! is to take a sort of light-hearted whimsical approach to all the things. So an un-dead skeleton wizard is just as likely as an angry park ranger chasing you around with a shotgun.

_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 08:14:18 PM »

I love this style; low poly, yet very high-quality lighting and effects, and also no textures. Really cool!  Smiley

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 02:46:10 AM »

I hope you have arrow ricochet! And permanence (stuck to walls forever)

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 03:00:07 AM »

Me like what me see! Gomez

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 03:09:52 AM »

I really dig this, great art style, looks fun, keep it up!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 05:36:22 AM »

The art style is LowPoly Flatshaded 3D because I love it, and it's time, people. It's time.
Within a few years it will probably be as overused as pixel art is now, but good god do I agree with this statement.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic