Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:48:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLet's Go Camping! = LowPoly3D + Camping + Dungeons
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Let's Go Camping! = LowPoly3D + Camping + Dungeons  (Read 21655 times)
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2014, 02:12:21 AM »

Liking the look of this. How are you planning on approaching the transition from overworld to the dungeons?

mickmaus
Level 1

walkying waylking

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2014, 09:37:49 AM »

Apply the texture and then decimate/optimize the shit out of it. Go as low as you can until you hit that fine line between lowpoly and unplayable mess. This adds some random splits and interesting texture tears that look cool in lowpoly. Next I export it to Unity for the final bits of magic.

The best kind of magic

Buddy_DoQ
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2014, 12:27:49 PM »

Liking the look of this. How are you planning on approaching the transition from overworld to the dungeons?

Thanks!

We're doing a full scene load for each dungeon/cave/temple. Pretty much exactly like Skyrim/Oblivion or a Zelda game handles it. The load is near-instant with an empty medium sized pre-made dungeon, and we'll do our best to keep it fast. Obviously, loading back into the overworld will take a bit longer, but it is still really fast.

Buddy_DoQ
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2014, 09:38:48 PM »

Greetings Lil' Campers!

It's March 31st, and I promised you a kickstarter announcement, so here it is:

Monday April 7th to Friday May 2nd

Got some new screenshots and details to reveal after we go live. I'll update the top post here with all the new goodness once we're all set. Same for the website and IndieDB entry.

Most of the work the past week or two has been completing the first pass on the Globs, so we can take video of basic combat, and adding juice everywhere.

Camps now spring up when placed, and the new bow has some more life to the animations. I finally got the scrollwheel working on camp placement closer to how I envisioned, so no more click-menus to pick the next gear item. Hold the camp button to create a placement ghost, scroll till you find the gear you need, and let go of camp button to place it.

One of the goals for us is to create a nice big deck of tents, campfires, and chairs for you to place. Allow the player to customize the appearance of their camp with a multitude of styles, from modern contemporary dome tents, all the way to dark-age war tents. Same with fire pits, chairs, archery targets (for practice), and more.

That's all the updates I have for now, so here's some fresh pine:

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2014, 12:25:18 PM »

this rules. following.

kraed
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2014, 06:07:51 AM »

Greetings Lil' Campers!

It's March 31st, and I promised you a kickstarter announcement, so here it is:

Monday April 7th to Friday May 2nd

I'm hoping to see a sneakpeek or small preview of the other climates/stages. *fingers crossed*
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 06:48:16 AM by kraed » Logged

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2014, 06:19:16 AM »

you know what? youre right. *lets* go camping

Buddy_DoQ
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2014, 08:10:52 PM »

Let's Go Crane Shots!

Huge week for me this week. Turned another year older and my first little indie game, Cannon Ballers, was one the launch title games on the new Kindle FireTV. How'd I swing that, you ask? I have no idea! Just make games and don't say no when someone asks you if you want to do something for a secret project, and their email has amazon.com in it.

Let's Go Camping! has been approved for kickstarting, so that's a real thing that's happening on Monday the 7th as planned. Like most folks, I would wager, I hate the sound of my own voice, therefore the video took many multiple, and often painful revisions, but we got it done! There's some new concept art as well as new footage and screenshots. There's even a short glimpse at some early dungeon art, which is still in super heavy WIP.

Oh, and a map of the planned overworld, which came out AMAZING thanks to my good buddy Mike. (Did you know Mike and I did machinima growing up, before both landing jobs at BioWare to work on SWTOR?)

But you probably just want to know how much cash you need to pledge to get a copy of the game when it's released, right? $10.

Check back here on Monday for that Kickstarter link!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2014, 12:01:15 AM »

Congratulations3!

Nice crane should, although I would have made that a jojo-ing gif instead of one that jumps, it's pretty jarring Tongue
Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2014, 12:10:29 AM »

Oh my god, I absolutely fucking love low-poly and camping.

Looking forward to the Kickstarter. Good luck.

Buddy_DoQ
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2014, 06:49:13 AM »

Congratulations3!

Nice crane should, although I would have made that a jojo-ing gif instead of one that jumps, it's pretty jarring Tongue

Thank you!

And quite right you are, quite right! How's this one then?

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2014, 06:51:03 AM »

Much easier on the eyes Smiley
Buddy_DoQ
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2014, 07:15:12 AM »

Gooooood Morning Campers!

We're now going door to door selling cookies and popcorn to fund our summer 2015 world-wide Alpha/Beta camping jamboree!

By door to door of course I mean, we're now Kickstarting the game!

Here's a handy link you can share: http://kck.st/1oGKB6u

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2014, 07:44:09 AM »

Good luck guys! Credit cardless European here, so I'll buy it when it comes out, or the paypal option is unlocked after the game hits its target.
Buddy_DoQ
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2014, 08:04:16 AM »

Good luck guys! Credit cardless European here, so I'll buy it when it comes out, or the paypal option is unlocked after the game hits its target.

Thank you! I've got a paypal system on standby in the wings in case everything works on. We'll probably run it for 2 weeks beyond the kickstarter date.

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2014, 09:02:42 AM »

Congrats + Good luck on your KS campaign!

If I can give a piece of advice, I'd say the video-pitch is a bit... bland?

Man, put more excitement into your pitch, also try and give out a good idea about what you're trying to achieve with the game, how it will play like, what's cool about the project, etc.

I mean, the prototype looks brilliant, but you should really try and make people who watch the vid as excited about the game as possible. Tell people about how the player will have to hike,  climb and survive in the wilderness and look for the dungeons scattered throughout the game world.

Other than that everything seems pretty much in its right place.

Buddy_DoQ
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2014, 10:46:36 AM »

Congrats + Good luck on your KS campaign!

If I can give a piece of advice, I'd say the video-pitch is a bit... bland?

Man, put more excitement into your pitch, also try and give out a good idea about what you're trying to achieve with the game, how it will play like, what's cool about the project, etc.

I mean, the prototype looks brilliant, but you should really try and make people who watch the vid as excited about the game as possible. Tell people about how the player will have to hike,  climb and survive in the wilderness and look for the dungeons scattered throughout the game world.

Other than that everything seems pretty much in its right place.

Thanks for the feedback Bandreus! Good stuff; I'm putting up a more in-depth gameplay video to accompany the introduction, as part of an update (probably in the 1st or 2nd update, depending on feedback we get). The attempt for the lead video was to introduce the game and its developers without going over the 2 minute mark. Good things (hopefully) about the overall project, without bogging folks down with too much information.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2014, 12:39:19 PM »

This is probably going to come across as negative, but I mean it is an honest opinion. I think you maybe should have waited a bit longer before launching the Kickstarter. As an avid reader of the devlogs here, I know all about the project and have been following it, but to the average person who might come across the game? There's isn't much shown compared to the ideas and concept art on the page. I personally think the game would have benefited if the page had shown the different kinds of arrows, models of the more absurd enemies instead of art and descriptions, early unfinished footage of dungeon crawling showing off basic combat and survival mechanics; stuff like that

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Buddy_DoQ
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2014, 01:43:51 PM »

This is probably going to come across as negative, but I mean it is an honest opinion. I think you maybe should have waited a bit longer before launching the Kickstarter. As an avid reader of the devlogs here, I know all about the project and have been following it, but to the average person who might come across the game? There's isn't much shown compared to the ideas and concept art on the page. I personally think the game would have benefited if the page had shown the different kinds of arrows, models of the more absurd enemies instead of art and descriptions, early unfinished footage of dungeon crawling showing off basic combat and survival mechanics; stuff like that

Hey, thanks for the feedback! Not negative at all, and in a lot of ways I agree with you. Every project has a point to where it's simply time to put it out there, and for ours that is now. I'll see what we can to show more of those kinds of details without over saturating the page with too much information. (Such a fine line, really)

Reilly
Level 2

14/f/tx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2014, 02:42:41 PM »

Yeah, sorry I had the same reaction. Seems underdeveloped for a Kickstarter campaign.
Love the concept, best of luck!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic