Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:34:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum Issuesfile size limit in "GIF's of games being worked on"
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: file size limit in "GIF's of games being worked on"  (Read 5781 times)
Ant
« on: January 29, 2014, 03:14:12 AM »

some people are posting 40MB gifs in here which craps out chrome - can we get an acceptable limit pls?

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=32077.msg989273#msg989273

"b-but stay out of the thread then-n!"

nice try but they show up in the recent posts page too (i.e. i have no choice)
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 04:40:40 AM »

I second "stay out of the thread then-n!"

Ant
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 04:45:58 AM »

I second "stay out of the thread then-n!"

booo
Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 06:01:38 AM »

I actually feel guilty about this since I have trouble creating/editing my gifs.

What would be considered an acceptable size range?

I do try to reduce size by rendering to small resolutions (my project uses 320x200, which I scale up), but then the animation looks blurry when upscaled on the browser.

herror
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 10:12:55 AM »

some people are posting 40MB gifs in here which craps out chrome - can we get an acceptable limit pls?

Firefox here, same shit.
Please Beg

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 10:40:35 AM »

as an alternative, i'd recommend you just don't use that stupid feature where it shows replies to threads you've posted in, that feature doesn't even work right anyway (since apparently you can't remove a thread from it). just use the email system like i do; get email notifications for the first reply since your last reply in a thread, and read tigsource through email

Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 12:27:51 PM »

For reference, what is an acceptable gif size?  I would like to try to play nice with older computers; not sure where the line is though.  (I've never tried anything close to 40 mb, that is pretty crazy huge.)

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 03:58:15 PM »

if you made a crazy huge gif it might be nicer to do something like

http://www.hedfiles.net/cobraguns.gif (40MB)

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
rnlf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 12:48:33 AM »

Also some people have to use mobile connections with limited traffic. 40 Meg is about 2 percent of my monthly free traffic and I guess I am not the only one with that problem. Linking with a hint on the file's size would really help!
Ant
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 01:45:42 AM »

Yeah I like the link idea - also maybe this should be a global rule too since everybody is now treating their devlogs as a GIF log.

I would consider a 5MB limit as generous, though I only seem to get noticeable problems when GIFs encroach on the 10MB mark.
Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 04:16:38 AM »

On some forums I've seen the spoiler tag used to hide big images... But I suspect the image is loaded anyway even if not shown.

I, for example, have set my browser to never load flash content until I click on it, so I avoid massive slowdowns on some pages.

Can the forum software do something similar (a tag or something that doesn't load until clicked)? I'm guessing not...

Then again, and sorry to jump into the "don't browse those threads" camp for a bit, but mobile users should really steer away from such threads. Even if they only have static images, they will be a massive resource hog.

Another forum I used to visit would have a "56k Unfriendly" tag on image threads. It was for obvious historical reasons, but kept around just for users to know a thread was heavy loading.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 06:10:06 AM »

but people will post this shit in every thread anyway, even in the introduce yourself thread

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Bennehh
Level 0

(^:

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 06:42:09 AM »

if you made a crazy huge gif it might be nicer to do something like

http://www.hedfiles.net/cobraguns.gif (40MB)

I agree, especially being someone who browses this forum during work breaks with a crappy old XP computer.

Or hide it in spoiler tags, if that works.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 06:49:12 AM »

but people will post this shit in every thread anyway, even in the introduce yourself thread
but the discussion is about one thread in particular

Deraj
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 08:04:50 PM »

I hate to whine, but after my most recent experience (a thread with lots of animated GIFs actually crashed my phone--didn't realize that was even possible), I'm almost afraid to click on some dev logs for fear of there being so many animated GIFs that my (meager) computer (or phone) will slow to a near halt.

Granted, I'm a noob (so I'm probably just rehashing a discussion that's happened 1,000 times), but I feel like I might not be the only one who thinks the animated GIFs are getting out of hand Smiley

Not to mention that 256 colors and lossless compression weren't really meant to be used for videos on the web... but that's more of a technical argument and as a complainypants whiny baby, I feel it is my duty to appeal to emotion/fear instead Wink

Try my HTML5 games: SIC-1, Chromium JSU
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic