Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 27, 2024, 04:06:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsXenoRaptor (A game about a robot dragon fighting space chainsaws)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: XenoRaptor (A game about a robot dragon fighting space chainsaws)  (Read 36659 times)
DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2014, 09:24:08 PM »

Yeah, think I will make it wave 5 next build. There's a fair few items you can only get by doing wave 10 (particularly if you want to get things to level 5), so there's plenty of reason to get there.

DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2014, 04:24:32 PM »

A new build is up, it's wave 5 (first boss) to unlock the next level now. Completing all of them will give the level gold text on the campaign menu.

There's also hitsounds and a whole lot of bugfixes in this build.

The locking system got some more improvement too.

DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2014, 08:30:58 PM »

Made the bosses bigger.

Now you can actually see the chainguns spin when they shoot:

DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2014, 06:02:09 PM »

The build with the huge bosses is up, also you can mind control them now.

Download Link.

ARRD-ART
« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2014, 06:03:33 PM »

Love those visuals!
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2014, 06:15:23 PM »

Bigger bosses! You're crazy Wink

It's great. Very intimidating that the teeth on the chainsaw bosses are bigger than my little cyberdragon.

Really liking the sense of progression now that I need to unlock areas and it's been set to defeaing the Wave 5 boss. The progressions feels right.

And nice, you cleaned up the menu a bit. Looks better now

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: March 19, 2014, 10:03:48 AM »

Those bosses look awesome

DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2014, 02:47:31 PM »

I recolored the chainsaw and improved the texture a bit to make it a bit more obvious what it is. Previously a few players only realized they were chainsaws once they started chopping.

DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 19, 2014, 11:40:50 PM »

Bigger bosses! You're crazy Wink

It's great. Very intimidating that the teeth on the chainsaw bosses are bigger than my little cyberdragon.

Really liking the sense of progression now that I need to unlock areas and it's been set to defeaing the Wave 5 boss. The progressions feels right.

And nice, you cleaned up the menu a bit. Looks better now

Did some more work on the menu, now it uses your most recently played level as the background:

Also most of the way through getting it to work with a controller, so you won't have to switch back to the mouse every time you want to start a new level or change some settings.

DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 20, 2014, 10:05:32 PM »

Uploaded a small update so you can try out the new menus. Also added a bit of transparency to them.

Here's what this thing looks like with the new chainsaw textures:

Cakeypigdog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: March 21, 2014, 12:22:55 AM »

this is looking VERY exciting!
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: March 21, 2014, 07:35:41 AM »

Saw the latest update on Tumblr. Was actually hoping you'd add a feature like that. I was thinking more of collecting health while full would give a temporary boost in health, but the way you structured it sounds even better.

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 21, 2014, 03:11:11 PM »

Saw the latest update on Tumblr. Was actually hoping you'd add a feature like that. I was thinking more of collecting health while full would give a temporary boost in health, but the way you structured it sounds even better.

Just did the same thing with coolant, you can now cool down to -200% heat by picking it up when your weapon is already cooled. You get a blue heat bar when your heat is negative.

Greg Game Man
Level 5

i have to return some videotapes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: March 21, 2014, 03:13:35 PM »

game is pro as fuck (check scoreboard, im: buildanshootanDev)

think it could use a little love in the pacing department.. hotline miami was good like that, giving you little breaks inbetween the carnage

DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 21, 2014, 03:23:29 PM »

Would increasing the gap between waves be enough, or do you mean something more involved?

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: March 21, 2014, 03:55:05 PM »

game is pro as fuck (check scoreboard, im: buildanshootanDev)

think it could use a little love in the pacing department.. hotline miami was good like that, giving you little breaks inbetween the carnage
idk, downtime doesn't seem like it's necessary in shmup/bullet hell shooters. Look at Assault Android Cactus or Luftrausers; both games are pretty much non-stop action throughout the entire playtime.

DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 21, 2014, 08:43:12 PM »

Got a new turret mesh for rocket artillery done:

Plus made photon ammo compatible with the chaingun, howitzer, flak cannon, scattergun and missiles. When used on one of those weapons it gives you very fast projectile speed, average accuracy/damage and high heat buildup, here's how it looks on the howitzer:

And the bullet spiral weapon now summons a few ghostly skulls with gatling guns:

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: March 21, 2014, 10:29:31 PM »

Keep up the good work, man! Love the new(?) signature by the way. It'll definitely make people want to look more into the game.

Arcalane
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 25, 2014, 05:19:48 AM »

Some idle thoughts from playing the demo and reading the thread;

The effects of item grade/mark are somewhat intangible or hard to gauge. Perhaps list the base stat, followed by the mark boost either as a % or flat number.

For example;

Blast Radius: 198 (180+10%)

Quote from: Christian
Is there a dual wielding modifier? Like I could equip chainguns in both slots, and fire both simultaneously or as an extra powerful chaingun, at the expense of overheating faster?

Similar to Skyrim, where you could equip the same spell in each hand to perform a more powerful version of that spell

Weapons could either have a Twin barrel option, or perhaps some kind of Accessory slot that adds additional effects.

Twin barrel/accessory would more or less double ROF, but reduce attack power by ~33%. Heat generation would be equally reduced. This includes blast radius for things like explosive weapons. Ultimately you have a tradeoff between DPS/heatgen/DPH; if the target has some kind of flat damage reduction effect, Twin Chaingun's not going to do you a whole lot of good, so you'll want a powerful secondary to punch 'em down.

The main tradeoff would be shots not being dead-center any more. Not a big deal for inherently inaccurate weapons (twin chaingun, again) but less desirable for twin howitzer/railgun and such.

For slower-firing weapons I'd make it alternate between the two barrels to allow for finer control. With faster-firing weapons, both could run at once with little issue.

Also Skyrim's dualcasting was terrible without mods, most of the time at least. But that's another kettle of fish entirely.

Accessory slot would allow for some decoupling of effects/projectile types even if it's not used for twin guns, or allow for combining others. Incendiary Gyrojet, for instance.

That aside, pretty slick work. Will definitely be keeping tabs on this, supported on Greenlight, etc. etc.

Rolling Rocket Boosters 2 + two Explosive Railguns + standard Rockets, for the time being. Pretty mean combo.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 05:28:50 AM by Arcalane » Logged
DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 26, 2014, 01:09:46 AM »

Arcalane: Will do the item grade thing. The other suggestions would be really awkward to implement with some of the spaghetti code in the weapon system, unfortunately.

Now for some recent progress, the hangar has been improved and also now works with a controller:

The inferno field now has a fireball vortex graphical effect:

There's now a boss health bar in the HUD:

And the campaign map also got some work:

Also note the new boss rush map on there.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic