Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:27:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsXenoRaptor (A game about a robot dragon fighting space chainsaws)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: XenoRaptor (A game about a robot dragon fighting space chainsaws)  (Read 36358 times)
DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2014, 03:55:43 AM »

New weapon: Tactical Nukes.

Somehow it's even more fun to use than I was expecting, not sure how thats physically possible.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 04:15:29 AM by DarthBenedict » Logged

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2014, 06:57:21 AM »

Because it's a nuke that you use tactically? Fun doesn't get more simple than that.
But the nuke seems like it needs to be more powerful. Bigger area of effect, more powerful shockwave

Fallout 3's Fatman felt really good to use:

« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 07:31:52 AM by Christian » Logged

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
matriax
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2014, 08:16:23 AM »

Wow! the game looks great! congratulations Wink

DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2014, 08:35:50 PM »

Because it's a nuke that you use tactically? Fun doesn't get more simple than that.
But the nuke seems like it needs to be more powerful. Bigger area of effect, more powerful shockwave

Fallout 3's Fatman felt really good to use:

My explosion effect doesn't look that good when I make it much bigger, will have to make a new one for the screen filling apocalyptic blasts. Until then, here's a nuclear missile which shoots laser beams.

DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2014, 03:48:17 PM »

Now you can shoot crazy bullet patterns (like a boss).

Also added a sound, flash and distortion wave when you block an attack with the shield. This makes it feel a lot more like action game blocking.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2014, 07:04:15 PM »

Nice, the bullet hell spray looks cool

And saw the glitch-turned-feature on Tumblr. New engine type?

Side question: as someone who's fascinated and intrigued by the behind the scenes of game development, I'd love to hear how the process went about, like how you had a glitch and then realized it would be a great feature. Not really the technical side, more of the creative process of it

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2014, 07:13:42 PM »

I was adjusting how the shield works to make that impact effect on it a bit more efficient, and accidentally broke the part that made it ignore collisions with your ship. So what happened is that the shield orb spawned, pushed your ship out of the way(forward), then jumped back to your ships position next frame and pushed it out of the way again. Repeat every frame for crazy speed.

The current one just sets your velocity rather than messing around with colliders, but the end result is pretty much the same. Still doing a bit of balance tweaking, it's pretty overpowered at the moment.

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2014, 09:33:42 PM »

I've never felt anything for these types of games, but I can't wait to give this a try  Smiley

DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2014, 04:51:11 PM »

Finished tweaking the new engine type:

Also improved the gravity flamethrower effect:

Right now I'm working on getting the new object spawning system to work in coop. Unless something goes horribly wrong there should be a new beta build up by Sunday.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2014, 05:59:21 PM »

So engine powers are
- Dash
- Rocket thrusters
- Teleport
- Hyperdrive

Am I missing any?
---
Idea for gravity weapons: The gravity field warps bullets paths, so flying head-on at projectile-spewing enemies would be your best tactics while wielding one since the bullets would fly around you. Skilled players could use the effect to their advantage to direct bullets into enemies behind them

DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2014, 06:17:16 PM »

There's also a shield, a different kind of teleporter(one teleports a short distance in the direction you're moving, the other goes to the crosshair) and one which leaves a trail of radioactive gas while you boost.

The gravity warping bullets thing would be really awkward as the bullets don't actually have colliders or any real physics. Thats part of what lets me have lots of players all firing 120 rounds per second at once.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2014, 06:24:08 PM »

There's also a shield, a different kind of teleporter(one teleports a short distance in the direction you're moving, the other goes to the crosshair) and one which leaves a trail of radioactive gas while you boost.

The gravity warping bullets thing would be really awkward as the bullets don't actually have colliders or any real physics. Thats part of what lets me have lots of players all firing 120 rounds per second at once.
I see. Either way, the new ability and effects look great!

I think I mentioned it before, but what about time slow engine? You wouldn't have any special movement ability, but instead would slow time for a period (as long as you hold the button) at the expense of overheating or something so the ability couldn't be overused.

DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2014, 06:30:12 PM »

Yeah, will definitely experiment with one. If it's too annoying in multiplayer it might not end up going in, though.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2014, 06:36:12 PM »

Yeah, will definitely experiment with one. If it's too annoying in multiplayer it might not end up going in, though.
Max Payne 3 made slow mo work in MP by making only it affect players in your line of sight and you could break out of it by rolling, while it worked like the usual slo-mo in the single player.

Line of sight would probably be difficult here due to the hectic gameplay, although there could be some smart strategy and close calls in using asteroids fields to break sight lines.

DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2014, 06:13:06 AM »

Added a spiral trail to the railgun.

DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2014, 05:35:32 PM »

New Demo/Build is up, download here.

Patch changelog
Twice as many enemies.
Player ship is faster and more agile.
Major performance optimization.
New weapons: Tactical nuke, spiral nemesis cannon, laser guided shotgun shells.
New engine: Hyperdrive. Flies towards the crosshair at ridiculous speed.
Many projectiles have sparkly trails.
Railguns have a spiral trail.
Some enemies now shoot drill bullets, which penetrate obstacles.
More varied enemy projectile appearance.
Improved appearance for flamethrower and missiles.
Improved some explosions.
Pilots being mauled by bears now fly less smoothly.
Tweaked locking system.
Larger minimap and improved health/fuel/heat bars.
Bombs are now launched slightly further away.
Crosshair now has a heat indicator on it.
Several bosses/enemies now have health indicators.

If you’re interested in winning a free copy of the game, get a top 10 score on any demo map and post a screenshot in this thread before 3/3/2014.

Greenlight is at 85% now, for anyone who was curious.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 05:55:23 PM by DarthBenedict » Logged

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2014, 10:13:13 AM »

Hope this gets Greenlit soon. What would your plan be, if you've thought about that yet? Release on Steam when finished, or go the Early Access route?

Anyway, on the update:
Don't know what subtle tweaks you did for more agility, but I've found I can evade more easily and dodge better. The hordes of enemies are great, makes the rail gun even more satisfying. The new mini-map/health/energy display is much sleeker and easier to keep track of, really like the look of it. Haven't tried the new weapons yet

And, well I hope this doesn't sound too negative, but the menus seem kind of..bland, I guess? They're perfectly functional, but it would be cool if the finished game had a more stylish menu structure rather than everything kind of crammed onto one screen.

Edit: Here's a better link to my impressions for the presskit:
http://indiegameenthusiast.blogspot.com/2014/02/pc-spotlight-74-xenoraptor.html
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 09:12:00 PM by Christian » Logged

DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2014, 02:30:58 PM »

Progress: Lasers are now sparkly.

Hope this gets Greenlit soon. What would your plan be, if you've thought about that yet? Release on Steam when finished, or go the Early Access route?
I'll probably do early access since the current build is fun.

Anyway, on the update:
Don't know what subtle tweaks you did for more agility, but I've found I can evade more easily and dodge better. The hordes of enemies are great, makes the rail gun even more satisfying. The new mini-map/health/energy display is much sleeker and easier to keep track of, really like the look of it. Haven't tried the new weapons yet

And, well I hope this doesn't sound too negative, but the menus seem kind of..bland, I guess? They're perfectly functional, but it would be cool if the finished game had a more stylish menu structure rather than everything kind of crammed onto one screen.

I'm not really happy with the menus either, not sure how to improve them yet unfortunately.

Edit: Here's a better link to my impressions for the presskit:
http://indiegameenthusiast.blogspot.com/2014/02/pc-spotlight-74-xenoraptor.html

Thanks, will update it now.

siskavard
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2014, 02:41:59 PM »

WHOA

this looks fun

I love the effects
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2014, 03:26:23 PM »

Love the new effect, looks so powerful

As for menu ideas, that GIF got me thinking. How about for a title screen, you have the cyberdragon on the side, and it "blasts" the title onto the screen? (Like laser blast, and as the effect fades away, the title remains or something like that)

I mean, the title already has a similar color and style of the beam
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 04:29:01 PM by Christian » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic