Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411274 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:38:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsXenoRaptor (A game about a robot dragon fighting space chainsaws)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: XenoRaptor (A game about a robot dragon fighting space chainsaws)  (Read 36348 times)
DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2014, 08:06:36 PM »

Scripted particle motion to get a vortex effect while charging weapons.

As for menu ideas, that GIF got me thinking. How about for a title screen, you have the cyberdragon on the side, and it "blasts" the title onto the screen? (Like laser blast, and as the effect fades away, the title remains or something like that)

That'd be something I'd do pretty late, more interested in making stuff you use often like the hangar look nice at the moment.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2014, 09:33:40 PM »

That'd be something I'd do pretty late, more interested in making stuff you use often like the hangar look nice at the moment.
I think one of the main things that would make the menus look cleaner would be getting configure keybindings, audio, etc. all under a single Options menu. Then you can cut down menus down to just Single Player, Multiplayer, and Options.

As for the hangar, what about putting the cyberdragon front and center and rather than having long scrolling menus, instead having something like this?

So scrolling over an area of the dragon would bring up the options in a more visual fashion, kind of like how Crysis has it set up. Also I think you'd need to make it visually clear that you can interact with and click on the part of the dragon to swap parts. Maybe labeled nodes on each areas, kind of how Y, X, A are in the image (but labeled hull, engine, etc.)?

Just food for thought
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 09:40:42 PM by Christian » Logged

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2014, 08:29:11 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions on the UI, will start working on it soonish (I want to do the objectives first).

Also, I just added some tangent velocity to the chargeup particles to get a spiral vortex effect:

DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2014, 05:04:44 PM »

New Demo/Build is up, download here. This one adds the new beam/charge effects, gives some bosses more HP and fixes some scoreboard glitches.

DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2014, 06:35:06 PM »

Just found out that no weapon runs are possible except for bosses.

soryy708
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2014, 09:40:39 PM »

Woah, I'm drooling over this. Not really.
The controls are tight, the combat feels great, and the polish is excellent.
This is awesome!
Reilly
Level 2

14/f/tx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2014, 09:58:29 PM »

Played this the other day and had a lot of fun!

One small criticism... The small skull chainsaw guys can sometimes seem a bit phallic.

Sorry!  Tongue

Keep up the awesome work!

tuglaw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2014, 04:35:36 AM »

One small criticism... The small skull chainsaw guys can sometimes seem a bit phallic.

Sorry!  Tongue

Well, they are kind of dicks. :D

DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2014, 11:22:22 PM »

This map has had a visual overhaul, plus you can now detonate the radioactive crystals by shooting them:

Sorry!  Tongue

Well, they are kind of dicks. :D

Yup.

Ruxar
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2014, 04:55:32 AM »

Top work, really enjoyed the pace of it. I found myself just boosting away and shooting back at the enemies, seemed to be the safest strat but wasn't as fun as getting in the thick of it. 

DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 05, 2014, 02:43:29 PM »

Top work, really enjoyed the pace of it. I found myself just boosting away and shooting back at the enemies, seemed to be the safest strat but wasn't as fun as getting in the thick of it. 

The idea was to use the powerup drops (they don't last all that long) as incentive to get stuck in. If you pick up coolant at the right times, you can keep firing most weapons forever. Not really sure how well it's working, it usually takes players a fair while to see that it's possible, but on the other hand it feels great when you figure out there's a whole new layer of tactics you didn't see at first.

yaomon17
Level 1

https://twitter.com/YaomonKS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: March 05, 2014, 03:16:13 PM »

The concepts shown in the game shows enormous potential. I hope the large amount of weapon variety will be able to carry this game. Good work!

Savick
« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2014, 04:42:55 PM »

The grainy cloud filter you have going on constantly makes me not want to play this. It just looks like it shouldn't be there. I mean this is in space right? How do you have clouds or fog in space? Maybe make it an option to have it off at least. 
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2014, 04:47:01 PM »

The grainy cloud filter you have going on constantly makes me not want to play this. It just looks like it shouldn't be there. I mean this is in space right? How do you have clouds or fog in space? Maybe make it an option to have it off at least.  

...gas and dust.

Savick
« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2014, 04:50:44 PM »

...gas and dust.

In the entirety of space... like all the time? Like the entire universe of the game has a layer of gas and dust everywhere you go? It doesn't make any sense to me, but I'm just one guy. Harumph.
DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2014, 05:39:15 PM »

Need something like it to convey movement, otherwise it feels like you're staying still no matter how fast your ship goes. Would be open to suggestions for a better way of doing it.

Also, it can already be turned off (Background Particles in graphics options).

DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 08, 2014, 07:25:21 PM »

New build is up, Download Here.

Changelog:
-Less overheating
-More enemies
-Player is faster
-Enemies are better at flanking
-Rebalanced some weapons and enemies
-Locking on for bear teleporter/homing missiles works much better
-You now have to finish levels to progress through the game (or just type 'warp' as a cheat, I delete my save all the time to test stuff with a fresh one and didn't want to have to replay all the levels every time)
-You can now detonate the crystals on radioactive asteroids.
-You can no longer teleport inside the final boss and kill it from inside (Although you can still send cyborg attack bears to do that for you).

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: March 08, 2014, 09:06:19 PM »

How do we beat a level? Is it defeating the boss or completing wave 10? I assumed it was beating the boss, but then I died on Earth Wave 7 and Mars was still locked.

Also if the condition to win is to reach Wave 10, I think you should give the player the option to continue with their current loadout or go to the hangar between defeating the boss and continuing to Wave 6.

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 08, 2014, 09:12:09 PM »

It's currently done by beating wave 10, might change it to wave 5 depending on feedback.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: March 08, 2014, 09:16:49 PM »

It's currently done by beating wave 10, might change it to wave 5 depending on feedback.
The way I thought it worked till now is how a lot of tower defense games work: you need to survive until a certain objective is met (here being defeating the boss) and then you can finish or you can continue for extra rewards.

Reaching Wave 5 is pretty hard by itself on some of the areas; personally I think defeating the boss should be the way to complete an area.

Also it wouldn't added any time soon, but a boss rush mode would be awesome
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 09:41:53 PM by Christian » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic