Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412012 Posts in 69461 Topics- by 58492 Members - Latest Member: Gods Of Fire

July 03, 2024, 10:54:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBob the Archaeologist 2 - Platformer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Bob the Archaeologist 2 - Platformer  (Read 931 times)
galdon
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2014, 03:19:07 PM »

The Original Bob the Archaeologist game <-- For reference, This is the original game that I had made in 2012.

I originally made Bob the Archaeologist when I was extremely new to game design, and as such it was not really very good at all. Now that I am more skilled, I wanted to go back and add to it using what I've learned to make an overall better experience.

The game it's self is going to be a platformer, and will continue to have a focus on finding (and Bob misidentifying) numerous artifacts during your exploration. Rather than interrupting the game for walls of text between each level, you go directly to the next level, and have a journal which will serve as a hub for the level select screen, and a diary which will update as you collect new treasures. Clicking on the journal on the top left corner of the screen will bring you there.

I am hoping to be able to make this a much better game than the original, so any feedback on this game as I get further along in it, or on the original would be helpful.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 11:38:22 AM by galdon » Logged

galdon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 08:08:36 PM »

Still making progress on the game. Made a GIF of a short bit of gameplay and put it into the OP. As well, I've decided on a purpose for the 'coins' (in game referred to as pebbles). Each level has a certain number of coins, some being harder to get to. Your highest collection in each level adds up to a total that will unlock bonus journal entries. So, the player can optionally take harder routes and fully explore levels to unlock all the journal entries, or just play straight through.

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 08:13:22 PM »

Looks cool. You could really go wild with that art style!

galdon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 11:37:14 AM »

Thanks, I figured if the best I can reliably draw is stick figures, I might as well go all the way on it. xD

I've been making some steady progress so far, though its gotten pretty slow making new levels due to wanting to keep levels short enough that death won't be a major setback, while still being able to be difficult. I am thinking of stopping at 15, then making a large level for the ending that is unlocked when you collect all the coins in the previous levels.

Savick
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 12:53:08 PM »

The handwritten looking font you're using in the second image could be more clear to the eye. So, maybe try out a couple different ones besides what you've got now. At a glance right now I see a typical platformer. However, with the pen and paper aesthetic you're using you could build a world of depth into it. Have the player go/flip between pages or something that. Use the atmosphere of the game in a logical way. Since the player is an archaeologist what about having them discover the history of paper or written word itself? There's a lot you can play around with here and I'm sure you'll make progress.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic