Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:41:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCrossing Souls
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Crossing Souls  (Read 34465 times)
deWiTTERS
Level 1

deWiTTERS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 01:41:33 PM »

Can't wait to see some gameplay footage!

sephi_6
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2014, 03:03:10 AM »

Finally, it's the turn of our last and youngest main character Kevin. He’s Chris’s little brother and he only wants to be like him. He’s never been afraid of anybody! But he always causes problems to his friends.

We've already shown him in our last picture of all the group, but he deserves a better presentation.

We've updated our first message with all the new information. We also public our game on IndieDB and GreenLight (as a concept).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 04:20:55 AM by sephi_6 » Logged

sephi_6
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 04:40:45 AM »

A little progress of our trailer. It’s far from finished yet, but it’s getting its shape. Hope you like it guys

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2014, 05:01:18 AM »

Ooooooh.

It's going to be done in pixel art style of full animation???

juavazmor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2014, 05:10:58 AM »

Ooooooh.

It's going to be done in pixel art style of full animation???

Hey Juan! Since we want to stick to 80s style as much as possible, we would like to mix gameplay with some animation like the ones that used to be shown on tv those years (you know: he-man, thundercats, teen wolf, etc)

We would also like to use this kind of animations during the game as cutscenes but thats another story Smiley
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 05:20:23 AM by juavazmor » Logged

Check out our game's DevLog - 'Crossing Souls': http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=38599.0

sephi_6
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2014, 03:38:46 AM »

I let you the Chris's sprite test that we tweeted the other day for the #screenshotsaturday.

We're working really hard on the game. We want to release our Kickstarter campaing the next month. We'll show our trailer soon. It is starting to look very cool! The trailer will include cutscenes and gameplay. We want to solve all your doubts (if you have any) with it.

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2014, 03:53:21 AM »

Looking forward to it!!

barneycumming
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2014, 01:12:04 PM »

lovely art and anims!

juavazmor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2014, 02:18:36 AM »

@barneycumming thanks mate! Love yours too!! Congrats for your greenlit! Can't wait to have it Smiley

@Juan Raigada Thanks Juan! We are really happy for your funded project on KS! Hope you can smash some stretch goals!!

Last week was really crazy, several consuming tasks have kept us away from getting some finished gameplay to show but we are already on the way to get it this week!

Check out our game's DevLog - 'Crossing Souls': http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=38599.0

Cathay
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2014, 10:09:55 AM »

I like the art very much. But I have one problem, and that is with the character 'Big Joe'. Isn't an African American who loves basketball and fried chicken somewhat of a racial stereotype?

Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2014, 10:19:26 AM »

I like the art very much. But I have one problem, and that is with the character 'Big Joe'. Isn't an African American who loves basketball and fried chicken somewhat of a racial stereotype?

Most of the characters are heavily playing into stereotypes...

- The standard "cool" boy who plays leader.
- The sweet ginger girl who is always right
- The nerdy guy with glasses and a pocket protector
- The annoying little brother who idolizes his older brother

But I feel like it sort of goes along with the whole "80s/90s" theme of the game, where everything was super cliche/stereotyped to death. Look at Captain Planet, Magic School Bus, Recess, Goonies, etc

Cathay
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2014, 10:39:55 AM »

Most of the characters are heavily playing into stereotypes...

- The standard "cool" boy who plays leader.
- The sweet ginger girl who is always right
- The nerdy guy with glasses and a pocket protector
- The annoying little brother who idolizes his older brother

But I feel like it sort of goes along with the whole "80s/90s" theme of the game, where everything was super cliche/stereotyped to death. Look at Captain Planet, Magic School Bus, Recess, Goonies, etc

Ye-es, I recognised the stereotyped characters, but they're not playing into racial stereotypes, because they all seem to be Caucasian...

Am I the only one who finds this particular stereotyped character slightly... racist?

Just because the 90s and 80s especially were decades that had a lot of sexism and racism in their media and 'culture', doesn't mean that people weren't offended by it. When we look back on the Goonies, for example, is not the 'Data' character slightly offensive? That it was accepted or ignored then, doesn't mean that it can be accepted or ignored now...

I don't know - wouldn't any of us be slightly offended if we saw a stereotype of our ethnicity portrayed in the media or 'culture'?

Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2014, 11:05:45 AM »

I don't know - wouldn't any of us be slightly offended if we saw a stereotype of our ethnicity portrayed in the media or 'culture'?
That really dephends on how much harm an ethnic group have suffered before from the critising bigger/major ethnic group.
For example as a caucassian, I didn't found this offensive, but hilarious, and somewhat right. A similar thing aimed toward people with african origins by white majority would be a lot more offensive, by understandable reason.

Tho I can't really decide on the basketball/fried chiken thing, it's such a blatantly overused steretype, it's so hard to take it seriously. Besides, it might be a race-releated sterotype, but it's not really a negative distinction, which is the by-dictionary meaning of the word racist.

Sorry, if my English was broken, I hope you got what I mean.

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2014, 11:40:29 AM »

I wouldn't find that particular stereotype offensive simply because its so silly. I mean, seriously... everyone loves fried chicken.

Off Topic:
Sorry, if my English was broken, I hope you got what I mean.
English isn't your first language? Congratulations, you write it better than 99% of people whose first language it is.

Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2014, 11:52:38 AM »

I had a few occasions when people misinterpreting some of my posts, to the polar opposite, due to some bad grammar I included. It can get a bit "disadvantageus" when we're not talking about gummy bears and lil puppies, but touchy subjects like this...  Droop

gummy bears  Addicted

Anyway, this game looks promising, I love this 80's-inspired-revival-wave-something that we have recently, with both games and music. I wonder if you guys will also go with a 80's inspired soundtrack with this game?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 11:58:12 AM by Tazi » Logged

juavazmor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2014, 07:39:51 AM »

@Cathay First off, thank you for your interest in our project and sharing your thoughts. We understand what you pointed out and it may lead to confusion, but the last thing we want is to be racist.

We understand your concern, but as @Konidias pointed out, all the characters are stereotypes based in the 80s. We designed several versions of each character (Math was from Germany and was named "Wolfgang" and Charlie was Afroamerican). Finally, we chose the characters you've seen and we think they're all good stereotypes. We're sorry if it offended you, but it wasn't our intention at all. We're glad to see how other colleagues saw our intentions as they weren't racist. Hope you understand this point of view. Anyways, thank you for your opinion, dude!

@Tazi, I'm glad you like our style. To answer your question: yes, our game will have a OST inspired by the 80s. In fact, we're already working with a really talented guy and we really think it's going to rock. We'll show you much more, music included, in our trailer.

We're working really hard as I said in my last post and we're expecting to release some gameplay footage really soon so we can tell you a little bit more about the game itself and its mechanics.

Cheers!

terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2014, 07:53:18 AM »

Personally I'd just switch his love for fried chicken to some other food, like burgers or whatever. Not that you have to, but it does seem like you're going for the stereotype on purpose, and its necessary to think about how it could be interpreted, unless you're planning on actually dealing with this in the game somehow.

As someone else mentioned, there's nothing wrong with playing basketball or eating fried chicken, but you can't ignore the fact that you constantly see people making racist remarks on the internet about those things.

I hope you don't remove, or change his race though, he looks like a cool character.

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2014, 07:57:42 AM »

Wow this looks so great. Followed.

juavazmor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2014, 08:03:43 AM »

Personally I'd just switch his love for fried chicken to some other food, like burgers or whatever. Not that you have to, but it does seem like you're going for the stereotype on purpose, and its necessary to think about how it could be interpreted, unless you're planning on actually dealing with this in the game somehow.

As someone else mentioned, there's nothing wrong with playing basketball or eating fried chicken, but you can't ignore the fact that you constantly see people making racist remarks on the internet about those things.

I hope you don't remove, or change his race though, he looks like a cool character.

Good point mate, we'll think about the possibility of changing his love for fried chicken to any other kind of food because it's nothing related to the game and we don't want it to be a controversial point. We just wanted to show his love for the food. Just that. No harm intended.

Thanks for your tip. We definitely want him to be the final character in the game, and hope other people like him as much as you/we do.

@NinthPower thanks mate! Glad you like it too! Smiley

Cathay
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2014, 08:58:57 AM »

@Cathay First off, thank you for your interest in our project and sharing your thoughts. We understand what you pointed out and it may lead to confusion, but the last thing we want is to be racist.

We understand your concern, but as @Konidias pointed out, all the characters are stereotypes based in the 80s. We designed several versions of each character (Math was from Germany and was named "Wolfgang" and Charlie was Afroamerican). Finally, we chose the characters you've seen and we think they're all good stereotypes. We're sorry if it offended you, but it wasn't our intention at all. We're glad to see how other colleagues saw our intentions as they weren't racist. Hope you understand this point of view. Anyways, thank you for your opinion, dude!

@Tazi, I'm glad you like our style. To answer your question: yes, our game will have a OST inspired by the 80s. In fact, we're already working with a really talented guy and we really think it's going to rock. We'll show you much more, music included, in our trailer.

We're working really hard as I said in my last post and we're expecting to release some gameplay footage really soon so we can tell you a little bit more about the game itself and its mechanics.

Cheers!

Hello,

Yeah, I'm sure you guys weren't meaning to be racist, but I think you were without realising. I'm not looking to offend anyone here, but just as an example; it's as if your German character, let's say, was into drinking beer and eating schnitzel, or if your Chinese character spoke with a thick accent (like Data) and ate rice, or if your English character wore tweed, had terrible teeth and sipped cups of tea, or if your French character had a beret and walked around holding a croissant... need I go on?

Yes, Big Joe is a stereotype, but the problem is that you are not commenting on the stereotype, it just stands there. As offensive as something like South Park can be to some people, at least they make an attempt at irony (their one African American character is called Token...). This is a comment on how ethnic minorities are portrayed in the media. In contrast, your token African American character, Big Joe, is played very straight, very dry. There's no irony, you're serious about the fact that he eats fried chicken and plays basketball...

As it stands, I find your Big Joe stereotype a little offensive, and I wouldn't be surprised if a games journalist picked up on what I'm talking about. I guess I'll leave it at that. Still, I really like the art...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic