Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 06:24:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCrossing Souls
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Crossing Souls  (Read 34488 times)
juavazmor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2014, 09:36:41 AM »

@Cathay thanks for your point. Definitely, we are going to change "Fried Chicken" because we wouldn't like anybody to be offended because of it. We didn't know anything about that "joke/prejudice" tho, so we apologize for it.

Big Joe is heavily inspired by "Thud Butt" (from "Hook"), "Chunk" (from "The Goonies"), "Vern" (from "Stand by me") and a little bit from Bud Spencer. All these characters are from our childhood and, since we have special feelings about them, we have used some references from them (and a lot of other characters) to create ours. Always from love and our memories.

Anyway, we really appreciate your thoughts and advices and we will take them into account. Thanks! Smiley

Check out our game's DevLog - 'Crossing Souls': http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=38599.0

sephi_6
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2014, 07:25:00 AM »

Hi there, folks! Long time since our last post, but here we’re again. It may look like we’ve been away last weeks, but it was just the opposite.

We’ve been designing several locations for the game and working in lot of scripts. There are few issues with the gameplay in these scenes, but we’re going to explain a little bit the location and the goal we’ll have to achieve in each one of them.

Offices:

These offices belong to a dungeon close to the end of the game. We’ve been inspired by the Shinra Headquarters from Final Fantasy 7 base to design it, but with our own style, of course. Lasers, enemies, doors with keys and a lot of puzzles are some things that keep us away from our goal, the summit. We’ve combined a military look with an Egyptian feel in order to remind the player where he is.

Neighborhood:

We already showed  you this location some time ago. It’s Chris and Kevin place, two of our main characters. They will have to figure out a way to step in the house and find out what have happened to their family. In order to achieve that, they will have to use all their abilities and the tools they have. There will be more than one way to achieve the goal. What would a kid do in this situation? Take advantage of his agility? Create a distraction? It’s up to you.

Forest:

We’re in the wood behind the houses. Here we can see a little fragment of the woods. Here it’s where it all begins and we’ll get used to the basic mechanics of the game, like the character shift and the different abilities that each one have. This puzzle will show us that from time to time we’ll have to use an specific character to solve it and move on.

Of course, our scenarios will have hordes of enemies to beat them and hidden treasures. This is an A-RPG! Although, sometimes subtlety, stealth and dialogue will be our biggest allies.

In some weeks we will show you a gameplay of each scenario where we will show you all the described above. Some have different ways to pass it, although it will depend on you.

Send us your feedback please. We want to listen everything you have to tell us!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 01:05:02 PM by sephi_6 » Logged

hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2014, 07:51:05 AM »

This is awesome. Character art is great! The only thing i have noticed that doesn't seem to fit is the 2nd police car in the house scene. It seems you shouldn't be able to see that car's windshield from the perspective everything else is in.

Graphics are gorgeous and I really like the animations of the characters and how you've integrated swooshes in between bigger motions. Awesome effect.

sephi_6
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2014, 08:34:05 AM »

Thanks for your words and insights! It's true, the orthogonal perspective sometimes makes it hard to create element with certain shapes. We will take it in account, even though we already tested some other formulas with that car before and this one was the only which didn't make the car look "stuck" in the asphalt.

Even so, we will tune up the angle a bit more to see if we can make that effect dissapear. Wink

This is the entire police car:

sephi_6
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2014, 10:08:34 AM »

We want to include lot of easter eggs from other games, films and series in our game. This one is the first we show.

Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2014, 11:14:13 AM »

that's some sexy arcade cabinet!  Smiley

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2014, 12:54:22 PM »

I'm interested in this.

sephi_6
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2014, 11:08:04 AM »

Hi there!

Last week was full of hard work and we want to show you more so you can give us feedback!

We're currently working on complete gallery of secondary character: cops, town bad-asses, indians, civil war soldiers and a lot more. For now, we want to share this mix so we can know your opinion. We hope you guys like it. Thanks for the feedback!

Some characters created in collaboration with amazing NullFawkes! http://nullfawkes.tumblr.com

sephi_6
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2014, 03:16:29 AM »

Hi guys! Maybe you think that this awesome project was stuck, but nothing further from the truth . We've been working a lot in new material. Our kickstarter campaign is closer than never!

Finaly, we can show you some gameplay.In this short video we show you the switch of characters and the Dead Zone. Of course, all this material are in a very early stage of development. Hope you like it!

We already have some aces under the sleeve. We'll tell you more about this in a few weeks. Stay tunned!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 09:06:32 AM by sephi_6 » Logged

sephi_6
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2014, 02:16:37 AM »

Hi there! This week we would like to show you a bit more of our cutscenes. We love the tv shows from the 80s like Dungeons and Dragons or Master of the Universe. So we wanted to make some animations with that exact style .  We've introduced some filters and animations with that very style that you could watch in those shows.

Check it and send us your feedback!

ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2014, 12:01:07 PM »

It's the first time I see anyone being able to produce real cartoon animation here. Thought it was almost on the verge of extinction... Really pleasant feeling! How did you guys manage to render the video so that it looks like VHS?

Btw, the music rings a bell is it anything borrowed or original?

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2014, 01:49:08 PM »

This looks awesome!

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
sephi_6
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2014, 03:22:24 AM »

@ephoete: Glad you like it dude! We've worked really hard to get that style. To get that VHS effect our art designers used after effects.It is not just drag and drop, it has some work behind. But the final result worths it. If you want we can send you some links with some tutorials Wink

@sidbarnhoorn: Thanks to you and for your offer. We're in touch!

ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2014, 11:16:16 AM »

@sephi_6 Hum ok, impressive effect. I'm not an art designer though so thank you for the tutorial but I'll pass. Didn't answer my question regarding the origin of the background music though.... ! Smiley

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2014, 09:17:50 PM »

Just want to mention again how much I love the artwork for this game. Good job!

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2014, 09:58:40 PM »

This looks beautiful.  Shocked

sephi_6
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2014, 11:56:46 PM »

@ephoete: Sorry, I didn't see your question  Facepalm. The background music is made by Timecop1983. He composed it specially for us! You can find more here: https://soundcloud.com/timecop1983

@Thomas @Zack: Thanks guys. Your words mean a lot for us!

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2014, 12:33:24 AM »

Some characters created in collaboration with amazing NullFawkes! http://nullfawkes.tumblr.com

lovely

rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2014, 07:43:29 AM »

This looks great! Just saw the trailer at IndieGames. Beer!

On the topic of stereotypes perpetuated in games, you might want to watch this video series and then take a closer look at your Charlie character to see if you've stumbled into anything that might possibly offend the female demographic:

The Smurfette Principle (in which there is only one female character in a group of male characters); relevant to this game: Charlie is the only female main character we've seen. Bonus: around the 4m30s mark she notes the revival of '80s pop culture, which was rife with mostly male casts (and racial stereotypes).

Ms. Male Character (in which the distinguishing trait of a female character is that she's female); relevant to this game: how the female character's gender is communicated to the audience with clichés, while male characters have a variety of appearances and personality traits that extend beyond their gender.

Yep, I opened that can of worms.
EdFarage
Level 2

I can upload avatars

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2014, 08:05:11 AM »

The game is looking really good, lurking this  Coffee

This looks great! Just saw the trailer at IndieGames. Beer!

On the topic of stereotypes perpetuated in games, you might want to watch this video series and then take a closer look at your Charlie character to see if you've stumbled into anything that might possibly offend the female demographic:

The Smurfette Principle (in which there is only one female character in a group of male characters); relevant to this game: Charlie is the only female main character we've seen. Bonus: around the 4m30s mark she notes the revival of '80s pop culture, which was rife with mostly male casts (and racial stereotypes).

Ms. Male Character (in which the distinguishing trait of a female character is that she's female); relevant to this game: how the female character's gender is communicated to the audience with clichés, while male characters have a variety of appearances and personality traits that extend beyond their gender.

Yep, I opened that can of worms.

I think Charlie looks fine, really, just as the other characters.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 08:11:15 AM by Nelphion » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic