Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 05:54:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookCommonplace Book Competition: Results!
Poll
Question: Pick up to 6 favorite games!  (Voting closed: December 22, 2008, 06:30:45 PM)
31BR - 5 (0.7%)
8:Sound - 7 (1%)
Afterlife Consequences - 3 (0.4%)
Bird Mansion - 1 (0.1%)
Dark Matter Planet - 11 (1.6%)
Death Lights Dancing - 1 (0.1%)
Defect - 19 (2.8%)
Doorror - 30 (4.4%)
Endless Cavern - 11 (1.6%)
Eversion - 57 (8.3%)
From Primordial Egg - 64 (9.3%)
Hassle - 6 (0.9%)
Herbert West in 'Carrion Re-animating!' - 34 (5%)
Insomnia - 29 (4.2%)
Invisible Armies - 1 (0.1%)
Lost in Eldritch - 39 (5.7%)
My Entry - 36 (5.2%)
NecroFodder - 9 (1.3%)
Never Opened - 13 (1.9%)
Pitchblackoids {201} - 2 (0.3%)
Planets Form'd - 17 (2.5%)
Queer Village - 13 (1.9%)
Sinister Names - 18 (2.6%)
Sleep – 23 - 1 (0.1%)
Sounds in the Dark - 5 (0.7%)
Strange Visit - 12 (1.7%)
The Clatter of the Keys - 34 (5%)
This Cursed Rock - 55 (8%)
The Lake - 31 (4.5%)
The Museum - 7 (1%)
Theatre of Cruelty - 4 (0.6%)
Uneksians - 7 (1%)
Verge - 81 (11.8%)
What hatches from primordial egg. - 11 (1.6%)
Tower of Shoth - 10 (1.5%)
Horrible secret in crypt of ancient castle - 2 (0.3%)
Total Voters: 133

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Author Topic: Commonplace Book Competition: Results!  (Read 100929 times)
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: December 26, 2008, 01:30:16 PM »

Guys, quit acting so... defensive. Tongue

I mean, he's just stating his opinion. It takes a lot more than that to be considered a troll.

N
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 26, 2008, 02:01:47 PM »

I only just checked in on the results, and I'm kinda upset that Verge won. For me it felt like the guy took a platforming idea with genuine merit and then couldn't figure out anything better to do with it than use it as a gimmick for solving puzzles. Did it win the contest solely on the strength of its pixel art?
Lips Sealed
Hand Shake Left
godsavant
« Reply #102 on: December 26, 2008, 02:04:54 PM »

I only just checked in on the results, and I'm kinda upset that Verge won. For me it felt like the guy took a platforming idea with genuine merit and then couldn't figure out anything better to do with it than use it as a gimmick for solving puzzles. Did it win the contest solely on the strength of its pixel art?

I don't quite agree with you because I'm really afraid of xerus, but I don't see why everybody is yelling 'troll'.

Winning a compo doesn't really mean that much; there's no prize, and it doesn't mean that the rest of the games were bad, or anything. Good games will always find their place. I mean, look at Gang Garrison; it didn't win the Demakes compo, but it's one of the most-played entries today, arguably more than the one that did win (Soundless Mountain II). 

And yes, the quality of Verge's pixel art probably played a part in the outcome, despite what the Czechs say about it. Congrats to xerus, I can't say anything about the game b/c I haven't played it.
mirosurabu
« Reply #103 on: December 26, 2008, 02:36:47 PM »

I kinda envy people who come up with simple yet brilliant ideas. Look at Karoshi Factory and Rescue: The Beagles. The same goes for top 3 of this competition.
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 26, 2008, 07:31:01 PM »

Hey BUDDY, this is "THE GUY"  I'm not really sure what separates a design element (or an idea) from a gimmick...  I think I took the whole life and death thing and used it pretty well in the levels -- if you don't think I did I'd really like to you hear your opinion on why it was more of a gimmick for you and not something that you enjoyed (if that's what you mean by gimmick?).  I can't please 'em all!  I do appreciate the comment on the pixel art though! Grin
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: December 26, 2008, 08:05:43 PM »

He probably means that you were more focused on fun gameplay than doing something intellectually interesting with the concepts behind the main mechanic. Which is true, but it was a design decision, not a flaw.

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 26, 2008, 08:58:10 PM »

I don't quite agree with you because I'm really afraid of xerus, but I don't see why everybody is yelling 'troll'.

FEAR ME  Tiger

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: December 27, 2008, 08:58:27 AM »

Holy shit, whoever voted for The Museum, I love you.

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 27, 2008, 09:26:40 AM »

Come on , this is TIGSOURCE after all. If you don't like NES games or 8 pixels GM games why do you even bother coming here Huh?

I disagree with the original comment by Upthorn, but I also sort of disagree with this. What exactly do NES games have to do with indie gaming? And there are high-res, non-GM indie games, you know (Aquaria? World of Goo? Come on...).
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: December 27, 2008, 09:34:25 AM »

I was sarcastic mkay? Durr...?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Batmanifestdestiny
Level 1

When life gives you lemons, make an internet craze

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: December 27, 2008, 10:04:14 AM »

...though, TIGers do seem to have a pixel fetish...

"Sweet Sacajewea, Batmanifestdestiny!  We've struck GOLD!" -Joseph, Utah Wonder

You have to plagierize the Italian.
Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: December 27, 2008, 10:38:59 AM »

Although I expected the results to be different, the only dissappointing thing is that Hideous Sound in the Dark had only five votes. I expected it to have more, it's one of the most original entries.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: December 27, 2008, 10:52:22 AM »

On thing to note : It's unfair but the truth is that If games start with a disadvantage. Especially if they don't want to provide a walkthrough.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 10:55:55 AM by moi » Logged

brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: December 27, 2008, 02:23:50 PM »

Although I expected the results to be different, the only dissappointing thing is that Hideous Sound in the Dark had only five votes. I expected it to have more, it's one of the most original entries.
Don't be upset, mine only got one and that was from me =[.  Maybe next time I'll make an 8-bit platformer and get all the love!
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 27, 2008, 08:33:36 PM »

Has anyone noticed a bit of a bitter aftertaste in this competition as opposed to previous ones?  It just seems a bunch of people are upset over the results, both in the forum and on the front page.  It's making me sad Sad

I don't know, maybe it's jut me.

tweet tweet @j_younger
godsavant
« Reply #115 on: December 27, 2008, 08:47:04 PM »

Has anyone noticed a bit of a bitter aftertaste in this competition as opposed to previous ones?  It just seems a bunch of people are upset over the results, both in the forum and on the front page.  It's making me sad Sad

I don't know, maybe it's jut me.

It's probably because of the subject matter; even if there had been no Demakes compo, a lot of people would have 'demade' games just for the hell of it (and have been, months after its end), simply because it's a cool idea. I don't see that same broad interest or appeal with Lovecraft (certainly not beyond interactive fiction, anyway), so all the entrants for this compo had to make a conscious effort to stay motivated and complete games that they would otherwise never have made...for fun, anyways.

So I guess it makes sense that someone would be irritated that their efforts and aforementioned games were, in their opinion, underappreciated.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 27, 2008, 09:05:20 PM »

It's not the competitors so much (a few maybe) as it is people who had nothing to do with the compo.  Folks coming in after voting and saying "whaa, I can't believe X game didn't win" or just flat out trolling those that placed high.

And I'm seriously glad half the people in the comments on the front page aren't registered on the forums.

I don't know, it just seems to me that previous competitions had more of a friendly post-game atmosphere about them with the clappings of backs and cheers all around and whatnot.

tweet tweet @j_younger
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 27, 2008, 09:08:02 PM »

Honestly I find it insipid when someone complains and didn't try at all to do anything. Is singing up TIGSource that much of a trouble?

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: December 27, 2008, 10:01:30 PM »

I can sort of understand that some people would be disappointed that many games look like standard GM games (mario-likes) and that the lovecraftian atmosphere is not present in all the entries.
Maybe people were expecting something different from a compo about the commonplace book. More terror and atmosphere than platform jumping or something. This is understandable.
I am not commenting about the winner because it didn't work on my computer (don't remember the specifics)

Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 28, 2008, 05:02:12 PM »

On a lighter note...

I really liked Verge. I was surprised (and somewhat awed) when the Afterlife turned out to be underwater and reachable without dying. It was like, there's the real world, and then there's the afterlife, and then whoa! the afterlife is a river/lake/puddle!!!

Congrats to Fifth for From Primordial Egg (probably my favourite compo entry), and to, umm, person who made Eversion.

Hand Shake LeftGrin Hand Thumbs Up Right
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic