Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:36:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingAvoision - test audio/touch (HTML5 arcade game)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Avoision - test audio/touch (HTML5 arcade game)  (Read 2197 times)
Deraj
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 07, 2014, 08:53:10 PM »

Given that I've moved from nice, familiar, predictable SDL/OpenGL/Lua to newfangled, inconsistent, disagreeable HTML5/JavaScript (details on why in the dev log), I'm curious to see how well/poorly Avoision plays in other folks' browsers.

Play the game: https://jaredkrinke.itch.io/avoisionjs
For Windows 8.1: http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/app/avoision/75208ce3-78d0-45c8-8547-d32fc08adf08
Dev log: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=21132.0

Specifically, I'm interested to hear if the audio quality is, in your opinion, acceptable. In testing on my own machine, I was surprised to find that Internet Explorer 10 seems to have the best Audio support (at least, it can play multiple clips simultaneously)--with the caveat that the MP3 files must all be at least ~1 second long (or they sometimes get truncated). Chrome works (though sounds don't seem to overlap, which is a bummer), and I haven't tested FireFox yet (1,000 apologies to the FireFox users out there--I'm a recent Chrome convert).

Also, if you're using a touch device, I'd be interested to know how well the touch joystick (the right side of the screen) works for you. Unfortunately, direct manipulation (which is supported) is inconvenient in a game where your hand/finger would occlude part of the game area.

NOTE: You will need a modern, HTML5-capable browser (supporting Canvas/Audio) for this game to work at all. If you think your browser should support the game, but the game doesn't work (or is otherwise unplayable), please let me know! (I've heard the game falls flat on its face on some Android phones.)

Lastly, if you've been developing HTML5 games and you have any general tips/advice/anecdotes, feel free to let me know if there's anything where I'm "not doing it right". The game is on GitHub, so feel free to fork the code and fix any silly bugs Smiley

Thanks!

Screenshot:
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 02:34:46 PM by Deraj » Logged

Try my HTML5 games: SIC-1, Chromium JSU
Jubjub
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 02:44:53 AM »

Tested it with Firefox, the sound works fine even with a ton of bouncing squares.
Kabraxis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 11:10:25 PM »

Great idea!
With better graphics and some more mechanics, i would like to play it on a tablet Smiley
Deraj
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 07:50:43 AM »

Great idea!
With better graphics and some more mechanics, i would like to play it on a tablet Smiley

Thanks! Of course, I should say that Eskiv was my inspiration. My "innovations" are few and far between here Smiley

For what it's worth, I have played this on a tablet and it's actually kind of frustrating. I probably wouldn't recommend it. The touch joystick works, but I'm not a huge fan of touch joysticks (maybe it's because I'm from a generation that was raised on real joysticks?). Touching directly on the game area means that your finger occludes a large swath of the board--which makes maneuvering very difficult.

Thanks for the feedback, folks!

Deraj
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 08:53:01 PM »

I updated the web version (note: the Windows 8 version hasn't been updated yet) with better touch/tablet support. If you've got a touch device and want to try the game, let me know how it goes!

The old touch joystick (the right side of the screen) only took into account the angle of the joystick. This made it pretty frustrating to control since it was all or nothing--you'd either move at maximum speed or not move at all.

The updated touch joystick uses both angle and extent (along with a small dead zone) so that it is easier to make fine adjustments.

At this point, I don't really see any obvious ways to improve the touch support. If you've dealt with touch joysticks or anything in the past and have some ideas, let me know!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic