Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 06:37:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallSnowflake
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Snowflake  (Read 6899 times)
Decipher
« on: December 07, 2008, 03:34:58 PM »

Snowflake is a platformer/micro-exploration game made for the Swedish Game Awards Warmup. It's really too short because I ran out of time while thinking for different formulas to generate logically playable rooms. Thus, as you can understand, the game's whole content is procedurally generated: graphics, rooms and even the static-looking stuff (like the background) are procedural.

Snowflake is coded under 5 days from scratch without any basecode and I actually am happy to see it coming to this level.

Oh by the way, the whole game is just 13kb including the music Tongue.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 11:16:01 AM by Decipher » Logged
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 05:57:16 PM »

Hmm, interesting. What did you code it in? Doesn't happen to be in C/C++ using allegro does it?  Well, hello there!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 06:02:27 PM by guesst » Logged

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Decipher
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 06:13:16 PM »

it's C using GDI (Windows' Native Graphics API),

but since GDI calls are expensive (cross-boundaries far calls) I just used GDI to flush a buffer to the screen. On top of that I coded my own little API to manipulate the buffer.
increpare
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 06:15:33 PM »

hmm...I can't get past the purplish/blue 'at' screen...is there some button I should press?

It looks like it might be fun, but yep...
increpare
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 06:17:24 PM »

oh wait, it just worked there....cute game...nice miniature Smiley

but, is there a change that the generation process mightn't terminate or something?

OH WAIT, it might be due to the fact that, when it's in the 'background' it still displays the purple rectangle, but when I switch to the foreground it displays fine.  You might want to fix that?

I think also that it might not always start focussed, for some reason?
Decipher
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 06:20:53 PM »

increpare: Unfortunately the generators are not all unique-guaranteed, even if I modify the seed, if the generator mis-decides for a position of the block (I'm using a rule based, logical generator. Not a random noise based one) then it will cause an infinite loop, I'll look into it. Thanks.

Edit: I just realized that you're talking about the "Inactive screen". It's intentional, it's just a way to tell people the game is inactive Smiley
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 07:11:02 AM by Decipher » Logged
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 01:41:15 AM »

According to my anti-virus software it's infested with W32/Packed_Krunchy.A
Decipher
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 05:15:07 AM »

It's not infested with anything... It's just a stupid virus coder is using the same packer/algorithm that I used to pack my executable.

And the stupid antivirus checks for the same bytes that the algorithm produces in every executable no matter what is the content. So, this is the issue. There's no virus or such filthy business going on...
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 10:23:16 AM »

Edit: I just realized that you're talking about the "Inactive screen". It's intentional, it's just a way to tell people the game is inactive Smiley
so how do you get it to start?

Decipher
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 10:39:06 AM »

Err select / activate the window using Alt+Tab maybe? Smiley
increpare
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 10:40:53 AM »

Err select / activate the window using Alt+Tab maybe? Smiley
you really should fix that focussing thing, or make the 'inactive screen' more informative...
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 10:54:03 AM »

ah it started...so it's really just a loading screen? Huh?

Decipher
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 11:09:28 AM »

Xion: No? It's a tiny platform game, why would I waste 13kb to show a loading screen? On the other hand, due to deadline and size limitations I had to use really inaccurate timers such as GetTickCount(), might be a timing issue.

Update: Now the game should force focus-on on start. The first post updated.
increpare
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 11:12:08 AM »

Update: Now the game should force focus-on on start. The first post updated.
hurrah!   Beer!
Decipher
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 11:14:37 AM »

Update 2: Due to the window class I use (or well to be more precise I "don't" use) when you click on it the game becomes inactive too, so I decided to remove top-most property completely to avoid further confusion Smiley. First post re-updated.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 11:20:08 AM by Decipher » Logged
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 12:28:31 PM »

And the stupid antivirus checks for the same bytes that the algorithm produces in every executable no matter what is the content.
Right, as is intended. Since it's packed, there's no way to know what's really inside, and it's better to be safe than sorry.

So, I'm sorry, but you're going to have to release an uncompressed executable if you wish for me to play this thing.

What's the point of compressing executables, anyway? For the transfer over the 'net, there are much better compression schemes. And I have plenty of disk space and memory to hold even quite large programs.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2008, 01:33:21 PM »

Wow, the mechanic is rather... annoying. Cute, and good idea, though.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2008, 03:53:12 PM »

Finally got to play this one. The aesthetics and the tune are both very nice, and I like that you added the flashing on the cloud like I asked you to. Makes sure I'm not taken by surprise so its fair.

Though like its been said I'm not a huge fan of the control switching mechanic.

Nevertheless it's VERY impressive for so little time coding everything from scratch with procedurally generated content.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic