Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:44:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopHelp with character sprites
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Help with character sprites  (Read 983 times)
HolyHeaven
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2014, 07:18:32 PM »

Hey everyone!
I was wondering if anyone would help me with my jumping sprite, I've tried doing the other leg before but it just didn't come out right. And if you could let me how the standing sprite looks, that would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 08:31:23 PM »

There's a number of pixel art tutorials around, but in general you want to avoid pillow shading, use less colours, and avoid aliasing. I took the liberty of editing your sprite a little to make it a bit clearer. I think the problem with the jumping sprite is that the bag strap connects with the foot, and so looks like a leg. The balance of the standing sprite depends on your perspective, but if it's going to be for a side-scroller, then I think you should set the feet like I've done in my edit.

HolyHeaven
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 09:13:22 PM »

Hey, I'll try to apply what you said to my sprite tomorrow. I've been looking at kirby sprites trying to copy their shading but I'm still kinda new to this. Does my plant have the same problems?
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 10:01:12 PM »

Oh right, if you want the 3d shading style like kirby, then you'll probably need to make your sprites a lot simpler. If not, then solid colours like I suggest will be the simplest way to get something looking ok.

Your plant is a great design, but maybe a little lop-sided. I like the shading, although some areas are a bit messy, like the shadow under the petal onto the shoulder. If you want to have lighting, make sure you use a consistent light source, and not just shade everything as if a light were shining directly from the viewers eye. Here's a repaint I did, showing some simple lighting and removing all the AA.

But again, I'd recommend to just use solid colours with either no lighting, or just simple solid shading (with one or two bands).

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic