Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:03:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpace Cabrón (previously Back to Earth)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Space Cabrón (previously Back to Earth)  (Read 15585 times)
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 08:47:16 AM »

Particles!  Evil

Gueib
Level 1

don't be jealous of my boogie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2014, 02:41:09 PM »

Particles!  Evil

PARTY-CLES
Beaulamb1992
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2014, 12:07:19 AM »

This is looking pretty fun man!  Smiley

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2014, 12:46:33 AM »

Hey this is cool. I love shmups! One thought - the ship doesn't really look like it's moving, it just looks like the background is moving. You may try speeding up the background, slowing down your player movement, and/or making the ship move slower when moving backwards. That last one will help no matter what. LOOKING SWEET!

Gueib
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2014, 07:45:41 PM »

This is looking pretty fun man!  Smiley

Hey, thanks!

Hey this is cool. I love shmups! One thought - the ship doesn't really look like it's moving, it just looks like the background is moving. You may try speeding up the background, slowing down your player movement, and/or making the ship move slower when moving backwards. That last one will help no matter what. LOOKING SWEET!

Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it.
Gueib
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2014, 08:37:30 PM »

Here's the first boss! A fat alien.
(All of them are.)
Gueib
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2014, 06:14:37 PM »

Been working a little on the first boss. I'm really busy lately, so the weekend is the only free time I have to dev. ):

Here's a screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/tNi2JnO.png
Gueib
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2014, 07:43:13 PM »

Here's the boss' three actions, apart from shooting directly at the player.
I since removed the delay of the second pattern.

Gueib
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2014, 08:03:04 PM »

Changed first action:

I also made the tapes you're supposed to collect to gain the ability to spawn the next boss.
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2014, 11:28:23 AM »

Looking nice. Did you put the color changes on hold or give up on them?

Gueib
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2014, 03:51:14 PM »

Currently on hold. I acknowledge the fact that I suck choosing colors, so I guess I'll just postpone it as much as I can.
Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2014, 04:34:36 PM »

I love shmups (I'm spending a fair bit of my time pursuing the world record on one at the moment!) and I really like the look of this. Shield is a very nice mechanic. I would definitely have it always reflect - I think a lot of shmups live/die on their one special mechanic, and some way to bounce certain shots back could add a ton of strategy to the game.

devMidgard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2014, 05:17:11 PM »

Following, looks pretty interesting, also try to implement that multiplayer coop!

Why do I keep thinking that the "faster" stars are rain? :\
Gueib
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2014, 05:39:36 PM »

I love shmups (I'm spending a fair bit of my time pursuing the world record on one at the moment!) and I really like the look of this. Shield is a very nice mechanic. I would definitely have it always reflect - I think a lot of shmups live/die on their one special mechanic, and some way to bounce certain shots back could add a ton of strategy to the game.

Wow, good luck on the world record! Thanks for the feedback too. I'll do some tests with the shield always reflecting shots, it does sound better.

Following, looks pretty interesting, also try to implement that multiplayer coop!

Why do I keep thinking that the "faster" stars are rain? :\

Thanks! I think I'll do that later in development. Lately I've been quite busy.

By the way, the stars DO look like rain. Maybe I'll take them out.
Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2014, 06:19:25 PM »

Wow, good luck on the world record! Thanks for the feedback too. I'll do some tests with the shield always reflecting shots, it does sound better.

Haha, thank you! I'm #4 in the world currently after a couple of years. We'll see how it goes. Anyway, I was thinking the shield could turn it into something akin to a "dual-stick" shmup - if it can only reflect x bullets, maybe, then you want to try and reflect the most powerful bullets, and if points are dependent on speed of killing enemies or maybe what you kill them with, the player could need to use reflected bullets in certain situations and not just think about dodging + shooting, but also what bullets they should be using their shields to reflect.

sam_suite
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2014, 06:28:01 PM »

I'm #4 in the world currently after a couple of years.
Wow, what game?

Gueib
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2014, 08:41:58 PM »

Haha, thank you! I'm #4 in the world currently after a couple of years. We'll see how it goes. Anyway, I was thinking the shield could turn it into something akin to a "dual-stick" shmup - if it can only reflect x bullets, maybe, then you want to try and reflect the most powerful bullets, and if points are dependent on speed of killing enemies or maybe what you kill them with, the player could need to use reflected bullets in certain situations and not just think about dodging + shooting, but also what bullets they should be using their shields to reflect.

The shield as of now is based on the stats provided by your current body equipped. The body decides the amount of time it stays enabled and its cooldown. Every enemy in the game have a trigger that turns them red and only makes them damage-able through reflected shots. I'm planning on making shots ricocheting in certain enemies and probably will implement a boss where you need reflect shots in a specific order to disable some kind of shield and then be able to damage him.

Both the shield and hacking mechanic can be explored quite a bit, but since I'm not through the game's foundations yet, I'm making little progress on this matter.

Regarding dual-sticks, here's something I made a couple of days ago, when I decided to try-out Joystick support:

Current mappings:

A - Activate Shield;
Left Stick - Movement;
Right Stick - Shield/Hack angle;
Right Trigger - Shoot;
Left Trigger - Hack;
Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2014, 04:33:47 AM »

Wow, what game?

This thing (not me playing, this video is one of the developers):

The shield as of now is based on the stats provided by your current body equipped. The body decides the amount of time it stays enabled and its cooldown. Every enemy in the game have a trigger that turns them red and only makes them damage-able through reflected shots. I'm planning on making shots ricocheting in certain enemies and probably will implement a boss where you need reflect shots in a specific order to disable some kind of shield and then be able to damage him.

Those are all awesome ideas. Having bosses or parts of bosses that can only be hit with reflected bullets sounds like a really nice idea. From the gif, I really like how you've implemented the dual-stick-ness, that's exactly the kind of thing I was thinking. My hype has only increased! Quick question - how big is your hitbox? Is it the size of that middle rectangle on the player ship, or smaller?

Gueib
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2014, 12:59:33 PM »

Thanks a lot, dude! I feel really rewarded with this kind of comment.

The hitbox is a bit smaller. I'm using a square tilted 45 degrees and its vertices barely touch the smaller rectangle. Do you have any advice regarding collision boxes?

EDIT: As promised.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 05:25:30 PM by Gaeb » Logged
Gueib
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2014, 06:10:06 PM »

Finished boss spawning. There's still dialogue, but I'll have to plan it better before getting my hands dirty.

Boss spawning basically destroys every opponent in the screen and spawns a random boss based on your current difficulty level. Eventually it will lead to dialogue then battle.

I'm also flirting with the idea of showing a progress bar when the shield is activated that indicates the amount of remaining time it has to stay on.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic