Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:50:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGunscape - I changed the thread title!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Gunscape - I changed the thread title!  (Read 7477 times)
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 04:14:34 AM »

Backed!

One suggestion; I just lost about an hour of map creation because I accidentally clicked Quit when I meant to test and there was no "Are you sure?" message. Adding one of those would be a huge help. Also, adding a test button to the Esc menu in craft mode would be nice too. Still, awesome work! Can't wait to actually frag people.

Hey, thanks a lot!
And yeah, I'm amazed those are the only complaints you bring up with the menus. Honestly the interface is probably going to be scrapped/overhauled completely over the next couple of releases. We're in the process now of designing a proper main menu and in-editor screens (I mean, they're obviously just prototype interfaces, but the whole flow really needs to change in most cases).
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2014, 12:36:46 AM »

New build is up! This one fixes issues that could lead to your level not saving, includes a number of UI fixes (real menus are still coming) and adds 9 or 10 more blocks to the TF2-inspired pack--lots more props and some special elements from that pack like teleporters and an elevator, probably a CTF mode, and mmmaybe new weapons if I have time coming next week.

Downloads are available here now.

If you have a SA account, maybe check out the Gunscape thread there; it's more active now and has a fair bit more design talk than this one.

An exciting upcoming feature if you hate 90 degree angles:

(From the upcoming Turok-inspired theme.)

New Quake-inspired stuff should go in soon too next time I have a spare half hour.

Today we also got a cool new music track: https://soundcloud.com/blowfishstudios/torus-side-a
Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2014, 02:30:32 AM »

This is awesome! You should post it on the Kickstarter!

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2014, 04:55:13 PM »

An exciting upcoming feature if you hate 90 degree angles:

Yay! How about stairs next, that's probably gonna be all the terrain types that you'll need for visually interesting maps so I'll shut up.

Are you planning on having portals or would that affect performance too much?
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2014, 07:59:51 PM »

Yay! How about stairs next, that's probably gonna be all the terrain types that you'll need for visually interesting maps so I'll shut up.
These things don't need to be just flat polys; depending on the theme they might be more detailed, or like part-prop part-terrain.

Are you planning on having portals or would that affect performance too much?
Gonna try.
Conker534
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2014, 08:36:18 PM »

damn awesome
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2014, 11:46:52 PM »

Neat new stuff today:

Skyboxes!

Feels really nice after being in the dark void for so long. When we release the next build you'll be able to pick your window and sky scenes independently. Also you'll be able to set the starting gun and ammo now.

Palette-animated acid!

Try not to get any in your eyes.
Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2014, 07:06:11 AM »

Congrats for featuring on RPS!!!!! This should bring a (well deserved) spike to the KS!

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2014, 11:06:38 AM »

This looks pretty sweet, reminds me of when I used to load up unreal tournament 2004 in school/college and play that all lesson. Following!

Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2014, 03:33:56 PM »

Congrats for featuring on RPS!!!!! This should bring a (well deserved) spike to the KS!

Cheers dude! I hope it's not too late to help kick off some discussion a bit at least. I think there's a real audience for this thing, and everyone playing even this super early alpha seems to really dig it, but it's hard to get it in front of the right (rightfully skeptical) people presented in the right way. That's on us though, I wish I had anticipated more of the preconceptions it'd face.

Article is here btw: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/03/04/gunscape-fps-construction-kit/
billyboob
Level 0

Kitty

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2014, 03:43:34 PM »

Here's a gif I've been meaning to make about one particular block type: window blocks.

Window blocks...

Damn. Jumped into thread. Thought I saw portal block.
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2014, 06:09:07 PM »

They work similarly to portals, which is why I think a portal gun is likely when I get around to it since some of the work is done already.
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2014, 02:40:47 PM »

A video with lots of new things:

Kickstarter campaign is totes dead, but nothing has changed. We're continuing development, the only thing different now is that the demo is gonna stay open and free instead of going closed.

We've got some paypal early deal/supporter rewards up here: https://playgunscape.com/purchase

We were at GDC showing this thing off at the ID@Xbox thing. Gunscape is coming to consoles! It plays differently on a controller of course but it actually works pretty well. The game has cross-platform multiplayer but you'll be able to optionally restrict your session to your own platform when hosting so console players don't get thwomped by PC players, etc.

Here's a video of the first ever single-player map, thrown together for the GDC demo, played with an Xbox controller:

In other recent news, the animation blending issues that have been around for a month are finally solved. Characters will look a lot more natural as of the next build (next week some time):

This also fixes the scale of weapons held like miniguns. Due to the blending issues they were previously undersized because the characters' hands were too closed together. Now they're a little more impressive:
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic