Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 23, 2024, 10:46:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMirror Stage [Done]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Mirror Stage [Done]  (Read 41774 times)
increpare
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2008, 03:04:09 AM »

I'm sure this is pretty low on your list of priorities, but you can also use extensions for antialiasing:
http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/lesson.asp?lesson=46
From what I've read, it's quite a bit faster than the native OpenGL antialiasing.
I tried that, I think, but IIRC, I couldn't get it to work on my macbook, so I abandoned it.  I'll give it another try though, time and energy allowing.

I especially like the pentagons in the screenshot dump. I've always been mad that regular pentagons can't be tesselated to form a plane.
Maybe not, but we can always try, neh?

« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 03:14:55 AM by increpare » Logged
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2008, 03:24:17 AM »

Can you make it so the game can render at high resolutions so we can make desktop pics of these?

increpare
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2008, 03:38:57 AM »

Can you make it so the game can render at high resolutions so we can make desktop pics of these?
Sure I can.  The game is pretty much resolution independent (and, indeed, changing to higher-res gets rid of most of the aliasing).  However, one of the areas I've made tends to chug a little on my laptop at 1024x768, and I'm using my laptop as the basic benchmark computer, so I'm aiming for 640x480.  I'll make a note to allow for resolution changes in a config file somewhere if I have time (worst case scenario: I release a separate high-res build  Roll Eyes  ).
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2008, 04:15:05 AM »

Awesome. I think some of these will make excellent pictures. I might look in to some Processing code to do stuff like this  Well, hello there!

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2008, 06:01:30 AM »

Do want!

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2008, 05:06:54 PM »

I especially like the pentagons in the screenshot dump. I've always been mad that regular pentagons can't be tesselated to form a plane.
Maybe not, but we can always try, neh?
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj200/increpatio/Picture153.png
Ha, beautiful! You know, they actually line up fairly nicely, I didn't anticipate that until I saw your screenshots.
increpare
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2008, 05:10:01 PM »

Day 2 progress report:

progress today was so-so (I was pretty lazy procrastinating IRL tasks).  no programming done, but have over half the areas sketched out. (maybe more, for various reasons the prospect of counting doesn't appeal to me right now).
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2008, 05:13:04 PM »

you can do it!

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2008, 05:46:19 PM »

I nominate you for Tigsource genius-in-chief. In fact I officially propose that this be made your official title.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 05:58:54 PM by Benzido » Logged
increpare
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2008, 09:18:53 PM »

insomnia =
increpare
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2008, 05:23:34 PM »

Spent today procrastinating non-ms related stuff, very little progress.  No biggie, though.

And, a doily-inspired locatiton, that probably won't make it into the final game:

omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2008, 10:43:26 PM »

And, a doily-inspired locatiton, that probably won't make it into the final game:
Aww. =(

I'm all for doily-cloth levels, and that looks awesome.

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2008, 11:17:35 PM »

These look really fun to wander around in.

You're a Mac user, right? Did you ever play Marathon? Due to a bug (feature!) it was possible to create some types of overlapping rooms in the level editor. Unfortunately everything had to have a rigid location in space. It was fun, but not nearly as neat as this.
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2008, 12:17:41 AM »

These look really fun to wander around in.

You're a Mac user, right? Did you ever play Marathon? Due to a bug (feature!) it was possible to create some types of overlapping rooms in the level editor. Unfortunately everything had to have a rigid location in space. It was fun, but not nearly as neat as this.

I totally remember doing that! Come to think of it, the first time I ever did any sort of game creation was with the level editor Forge that came packaged with marathon 2. I remember building all sorts of crazy shit, I remember there were some crazy wall textures that were flashy and psychedelic. I would love to  play  marathon again. The first level of marathon 2 is ingrained in my memory, I could never get farther than the third level, so I wound up just playing the first level over and over again (I must have been like 6 or 7).
Zaphos
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2008, 05:51:36 AM »

You can do it, increpare!  *gets pom poms*
medieval
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2008, 06:48:39 AM »

This looks very damn awesome.

I will not sleep before I play this.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2008, 10:35:02 AM »

I'm pretty excited for this!

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
increpare
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2008, 08:17:39 PM »

finally got about to doing some work on this today. Had a really happy time, the bug-fixing was almost entirely pleasant (despite some seeming awfully ominous).  The one boring and slightly extended task (adding some extra stuff to some menus) I've also just gotten out of the way.  I can rest content-enough tonight.

(and yeah, running behind schedule...but...still on track for finishing soonish...have 75% of the content sketched (of which about 25% is more or less finished, and about 25% will be binned and something else thought of)...but...achingly close to being at that fun stage where I can chart out all the content I've done and start thinking about reassembling it, filling things out, &c.).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 08:24:23 PM by increpare » Logged
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2008, 11:48:01 PM »

Happy coding time you have? Yes!

increpare
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2008, 12:00:25 AM »

You're a Mac user, right?
yip, though only for the last couple of years.

Did you ever play Marathon?
on pc, for a tiny bit, I think?

Due to a bug (feature!) it was possible to create some types of overlapping rooms in the level editor. Unfortunately everything had to have a rigid location in space. It was fun, but not nearly as neat as this.
Heheh...any screenshots illustrating this? (I looked but couldn't find any)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic