Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:36:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBounce
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Bounce  (Read 7240 times)
siiseli
Level 6

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2007, 09:01:01 AM »

Just a little game I made as an programming excercise. I am capable of making better games, thought. This was released at the demoparty Assembly '07 in Finland. I'm still at Assembly so I don't know how it will score. The graphics are awful, I know.

Download:http://koti.mbnet.fi/siiseli/projektit/bounce.zip

I edited your post to show 2 pics -Guert
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 10:23:38 AM by Guert » Logged
-B-
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 09:11:09 AM »

You probably should give some screens with your game.

All 19 games that are in Assembly gamedev comp can be found here:
http://www.assembly.org/summer07/news/compos/gamedev-entries-2007 (with screens)
siiseli
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 09:29:11 AM »

Yeah i'm really sorry... I haven't slept for 2 days now so I'm a tad confused. Heres some screenies and an introduction to the game:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/teora/intersoft/products/bc/bc1.png
http://koti.mbnet.fi/teora/intersoft/products/bc/bc2.png
http://koti.mbnet.fi/teora/intersoft/products/bc/bc3.png

In bounce you.... bounce with a ball... Sounds intuitive and all new, doesn't it? But  don't piss in your pants yet, folks, there more! Bounce also includes OBSTACLES you must look out for. Things like spikes and... well spikes. The only reason the games name is Bounce is my utter lack of imagination. Includes 35 levels and endless hours of gameplay, supposing you want to beat the game, since you will _never_ ever in your dreams beat level 35. Please don't be too hard on me and excuse me for being so confused. G'night to ye all, I'm gonna keep on partying
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 09:32:18 AM »

It's pretty good. It would be a lot cooler if the levels looked different instead of just having the ground a different color. I beat a few levels and then tried the last level, which I don't thing is possible. Have you ever beaten it?

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 10:25:03 AM »

Hello there!
I'm gonna try this out pretty soon, I'll give you some feedback afterward. I also edited your first post to attract more players Wink

Later!
Guert
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 12:42:47 PM by Guert » Logged

siiseli
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 11:41:57 AM »

I thank you quert, I can't think all too clear in the state I am in now. I indeed have beaten the last level... once...
-B-
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 06:48:42 AM »

I actually find this pretty good. Well, I don't think it has any chance in that assembly compo, but you had excellent levels in this one.

Game is ugly and gameplay could be a little better. There isn't any "juiciness", like cool bonus stuff and that.

But as I said, I enjoyed it - thanks to great levels it had.
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 04:32:48 PM »

This game reminds me of that Hewson classic, Impossaball. I love this kind of game.

Here are two thoughts:

- I noticed that when you jump up to a high platform, and only just make it, your ball then bounces as high as it could possibly go. If you want it to seem like a real ball, its bounce speed should be proportional to the speed it fell down at.

- I kept wondering if you could design it so that you don't have direct control over the height of your bounce. For example, what if you had to land on particular panels to increase your bounce, or what if you had to build up spin on your ball to bounce higher? It feels kind of cheap just making it bounce higher and lower. This would obviously require a redesign of all the levels, but it's just what my impression was.

<EDIT> - Oh, I think more people will try it out if you can make the package less than 10mb. Given that your graphics files take up about 56k, it's not right that the audio files take up 9 mb.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 04:46:56 PM by Benzido » Logged
siiseli
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 08:53:56 AM »

So umm... yeah.. Party over, slept 19 hours after the party.. Bounce was 12th out of 19, which is gorgeus! Just look at the other participants, youll know what I mean.
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 05:59:34 PM »

An interesting and simple game you have there...

The controls could be smoother and perhaps we could have a way to control the height of the bouncing. Right now, it felt too  me like we didn't control much of the game and we just have everythign happen like magic.

I understand that this was for a quick competition so I can understand why you have a lack of finish. 

Have you plans for making this bigger? Will we pick up things along the way? What's our motivation when playing this game? Exploration? Collection? Competition? Will we have some scores? if you have time elements, willl you give us different ways of finishing a level faster?

Anyway, keep it up!
Later!

siiseli
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 01:57:25 AM »

I have no plans of further development of this game. You're supposed to get a better time after you once finnished a level, and about the controls, you jos have to get used to them, after that, they'll work nicely for you.
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 05:15:53 AM »

Well, if you have no plans of further development, I think it's fine...

Just remember that, as a developer, you shouldn't try to force things upon your player (generaly speaking). If the controls aren't appreciated by your players, try to seek out why and fix it... And that's good for every game out there...  Smiley

Anyway, good job!
Later!

siiseli
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 01:06:57 AM »

Yeah well my next game is now in development and when the time is right, I will hire an army of beta-testers.
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 08:31:16 AM »

You don't really have to hire us, we work on stale Cheetoes and half-empty bottles of Jack Daniels.

siiseli
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2007, 12:18:16 AM »

I give you imaginary ponies, that cool?
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2007, 05:03:52 AM »

Gah! Ponies??? What do you think we are? Mad? Have you ever tasted those?

:D

siiseli
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2007, 06:08:30 AM »

Yes, but they are imaginary, meaning you won't have to taste them! You can make the taste up all by yourself! Thank god this isn't going offtopic, that would be bad.
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2007, 07:57:47 AM »

The gravity changing stuff in this is nice, especially level 12 (I think it was 12) where you reverse the gravity again before hitting the ceiling, and dodge all the spikes. If you added stuff like sideways gravity, sticky walls and such it could turn into a nice complex puzzler type thing.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic