Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411424 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:59:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDawn - Rogue like
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Dawn - Rogue like  (Read 6294 times)
Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: February 20, 2014, 12:40:13 AM »

Heavily inspired by DragonDePlatino's tileset for rogue likes (thread http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=38615.0) I started developing this little game named Dawn.
The tileset palette is DawnBringer's.

It isn't the first time I attempted such a game type, albeit I haven't finished one of them either. I'm trying to do it right this time; with the awesome pixel graphics motivating quite good.

Plans
Having some prebuilt map parts interspersed with randomized parts. Plus the fighting system should have a few elements from Final Fantasy (the element/status parts).

Current State
Currently implemented is a randomization for village, caves and woods areas. Working is a turn/movement system, fighting system and a small menu system.
The player can run around, attack enemies via melee (bump into them), use items, throw items and pickup loot. A basic inventory system exists allowing for equipping and using items (like throwing a potion as seen in the animation)

Enemies have levels which are adjusted to the players current level to keep the challenge going.

The player is supposed to have a lot of the options found in Nethack, albeit with a more accessible system

So much still to do...

Nothing much too see yet in the first village screens (which are still lacking detail badly)

Annoying a wizard via thrown potion and getting the bolt:

« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 05:21:45 AM by Endurion » Logged
Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 03:38:45 AM »

Added projectile and animation series logic.

The Wizard enemy (and in continuation other enemies) can attack with magic/projectiles. Projectiles will fly along the 8 main directions and hit everything in their way. Nicely taking out other enemies as well Smiley

The animation series logic plays animations after each other, making the projectile shot a sequence of advancing the projectile, hurting an enemy, etc.

Here the player has been killed leaving his inventory behind.

Jerry Pie
Level 0

Pixel Artist

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 06:17:35 AM »

Is that the Dawnbringer 16 color palette?

Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 09:54:35 AM »

Yes it is. I do need to credit him for the palette DragonDePlatino used for his tileset.
Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 06:13:27 AM »

Added a simple menu interface for equipping and inventory.

Just for fun added health and poison potions.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 11:09:04 AM »

Looking sweet.

Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 05:23:28 AM »

Added throwing items to the mix. Potions may shatter on impact and apply their effects.

Nice to throw poison at an enemy and watch him die slowly Smiley
Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 06:11:59 AM »

Added simple elemental powers to the mix. Weapons/Units can have an elemental affinity; resulting in weakness, strong defense or absorbing damage.

Also, some code to prettify simple tiles with all the borders, as shown with the grass/dirt in the GIF in the first post.

Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 05:22:23 AM »

Working on having different exits/region branches from a stage.

This allows from the starting village (Haven) regular descents to other parts or a cave branch.

Added poison as weapon effect. While a weapon with poison effect can poison the target it can also heal a poison absorber.
benexclaimed
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 11:05:46 AM »

This looks good. Do you expect it to stay fairly wide open or do you anticipate more narrow corridors and smaller rooms, etc.?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 11:19:47 AM »

The player is supposed to have a lot of the options found in Nethack, albeit with a more accessible system

good, but: mouse controls are not necessarily more accessible than keyboard controls and clicking through a million menus can be just as annoying/confusing as learning keyboard commands. just something to keep in mind.
Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 10:37:34 PM »

No mouse controls planned, but basically only cursor. And additionally keyboard shortcuts for those in need of faster access Smiley
Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 06:26:53 AM »

Fixed a few bugs and finally got round to add a new region type, Caves.

Currently regions are still pretty simple, details like nice foliage will be added later on.

Different regions carry different enemies; enemy tpyes also depend on the level of the region.

Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 06:02:57 AM »

Added bomb potions that might explode on impact. Depends on luck Smiley
Hurts the target on impact and if it explodes, adds some hefty fire damage on top. Currently the damage is not elemental yet, but will probably be.
benexclaimed
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 09:22:14 AM »

I really love these tiles.
Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 05:46:17 AM »

Added a few details to the menues.

Now when equipping you get a display of before/after attributes.
Also, freeze and fire potions which leave fire/freeze clouds behind hurting unlucky tresspassers.
DragonDePlatino
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2014, 12:32:24 PM »

Whoaaaaaa! This Just made my day! And you're even using the little ground transition tiles! I didn't think anyone would be brave enough to use those. Cheesy In the ways of graphics, your overworld is a bit sparse. Some sparse foliage in the overworld using perlin noise would be a cool idea. :D

Are there any tiles you need? I'm in a pixelling mood and I just noticed the tileset is a little sparse in the way of items.

Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 11:04:18 PM »

Sorry for the late reply Smiley

I do plan to add lots more of foliage, this is just starting out.

Regarding missing tiles, I "mis-"used the speech bubbles as status indicators, so I made two (just for now) bubbles with poison and blindness indicators.

Items, hmm. Some more food items maybe?

Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2014, 06:36:38 AM »

Fixed a few bugs and added a few Smiley

Added scrolls with spells. Spells can be targetted (depends on spell type; range depends on player stats) and hurt nicely.
They do boil down to mostly the same effects as thrown potions.
Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2014, 05:10:55 AM »

Rearranged some hastily written code and added states additionally to short time effects to units.

Now you can get hit by a sleep potion and lose some turns.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic