Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:30:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessHow to Make a Roguelike Popular
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: How to Make a Roguelike Popular  (Read 21347 times)
Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2007, 08:30:12 AM »

I like tight spaces in Roguelikes.  Well, generally for games, but especially for Roguelikes.  One of the reasons Prom's platform designs appealed to me so much was how compact and varied everything was.

Hence, I like small dungeons with lots of little corridors.  I don't like crossing large, empty spaces in Roguelikes at all!
Haha, so you like Nethack *mazes*? (Not dungeons, *mazes* I think they come after midgame or something Tongue)

My dream Roguelike would have very simple controls and simple rules, but lots of different items, enemies, and ways for those items and enemies to interact with the player and the environment.  I want it to be very fast-paced and I want to be able to cause enormous change in the game environment without needing 50 spoiler.txt's around me!

Nowhere near intending to pretend it to be your dream roguelike, but have you played DrashRL? It has simple controls and rules, and is pretty fast-paced and spoiler-safe. Not too many nethackish interactions yet but that will eventually come Tongue

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2007, 08:38:19 AM »

I'll try Drash soon enough.  But to be honest, the graphics don't appeal to me (very generic looking) and I'm kind of a graphics whore. Tongue

I don't like mazes, really.  I like rooms and stuff... interesting architecture is important.  It's hard to explain.  But mazes don't give you enough options and can be very bland.  I just don't like large open areas... especially since in so many RL's the rooms are box-shaped.  I'd like to see some more interesting shaped rooms.  With pillars and ruined parts and maybe water flowing through certain areas.  And moss growing on the floors!  That kind of compactness and varied look is what I like!
Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2007, 09:52:09 AM »

I'll try Drash soon enough.  But to be honest, the graphics don't appeal to me (very generic looking) and I'm kind of a graphics whore. Tongue

Then run the console mode Tongue

Also, if any artist here is interested, would be nice to give it an unique graphics set (It is small, if interested PM me Tongue)

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic