Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 08:48:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Hong Kong Massacre [Top Down Shooter]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: The Hong Kong Massacre [Top Down Shooter]  (Read 113280 times)
vreski
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 11:50:34 PM »

Wow that looks sick :D

I made a "similar" game many years ago and I had a feature which would be maybe interesting for you too.
Beside the usual guns (handgun, shootgun, mg) I included a double beretta. While the player used this weapon the Aiming was made by the Character not the player like with the usual guns. Each Beretta aimed at the two nearest enemys by himself so the player just had to shoot. When only one enemy was in reach he aimed with both guns at the enemy.

I can send you a link of the (unfinished) game if you want.

That sounds like a cool idea worth trying out. I really want something nice going on when using dual weapons. Thanks for the idea.

vreski
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 12:06:31 AM »

what engine is it? Did you write your own? Are you using Unity or maybe even Gamer maker?
Would love to hear some programming stuff (- :

looks nice! cant wait for more information

Right now I´m using Construct 2, I find it a good tool for fast prototyping. Although I´m considering a switch to maybe Unity since Construct 2 lacks a bit on the whole native desktop support. Future will tell.

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2014, 12:59:32 AM »

I loved Hotline Miami and Max Payne, so this looks very interesting! Hand Thumbs Up Right Best of luck, and please keep the ridiculous blood effects, at least for hitting people with a shotgun up close Evil

Tofu-Testing
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 02:42:42 AM »

Looks amazing! If you'd like some QA on it drop me a message

Jack - Tofu-Testing.com
Nidre
Level 0

Out of range

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 03:14:01 AM »

Reminded me a bit of Hotline Miami with awesome graphics Smiley Looks pretty good!

I am a humble game designer and developer.

Blog : www.erdinkacan.tumblr.com
Save The Comet : www.stcdevblog.tumblr.com
barneycumming
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2014, 03:17:36 AM »

Wonderful blood splatter effects!

I would love to see some kickback on the gun when he fires to show the force coming out, as there is so much force shown on the end of the recipient Smiley

Keep it up!

sephi_6
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2014, 04:01:28 AM »

The blood is awesome. Looks like a Tarantino top down film. If you implement some power ups like a rampage mode, it would be amazing. I'm looking foward to play it

Revin_Goff
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2014, 06:24:12 AM »

For some reason every time I try to PM you the site chokes, so perhaps you could PM me your email so I could message you?

Thanks!
forwardresent
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2014, 08:13:21 AM »

Looking really good! I am very much a fan of the slow motion bullet dodging you've got going on there.

Darion
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2014, 08:19:00 AM »

The impact of the shotgun – feels sooo good.

@darionmccoy
IndieEmma
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2014, 09:00:52 AM »

Looks cool.
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2014, 02:32:20 PM »

Looks intoxicating! Evil
When I saw the GIF scenes I had this

in mind.
vreski
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2014, 01:34:55 PM »

So today I did a bit of testing with the dual weapons setup. Here are some short gif:s to show it in action.

Basically you just hold down the right mouse button to extend your arms to the side and can continue shooting with the left mouse button, when releasing right button the arms goes back to normal. 

Will need some more testing on how it works and if it´s worth to keep, right now it feels a bit unnatural since the cross-hair is in another place then where you shoot.   

TWOxACROSS
Level 0

Hot-blooded God of Guns

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2014, 01:38:09 PM »

That's pretty cool. Does the crosshair do anything at that point?

vreski
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2014, 01:42:38 PM »

That's pretty cool. Does the crosshair do anything at that point?

No, not really more than set the direction the character is facing, I though of maybe adding some secondary crosshairs when aiming at the side so you have some sort of idea where you aim.

TWOxACROSS
Level 0

Hot-blooded God of Guns

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2014, 01:47:03 PM »

No, not really more than set the direction the character is facing, I though of maybe adding some secondary crosshairs when aiming at the side so you have some sort of idea where you aim.

If it's possible, you could probably have the crosshair split into two as the arms spread out.

Or you could go the Devil May Cry route and make holding the Right Mouse Button a modifier to the second gun's direction, and then you use the movement keys (ASWD I'm assuming) to point the second gun in a different direction. The only problem then is that you lose the ability to move.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2014, 02:37:35 PM »

So good. Now that's a top down Stranglehold Smiley

I think dual crosshairs would best, so the player could stay moving. Another option could be Wet's style: when you dual wield, one gun auto aims and you manually aim the second gun.

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
tuglaw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2014, 05:41:02 AM »

Let me mantle over the back or the hood of those cars and I'm in. :)

Right now I´m using Construct 2, I find it a good tool for fast prototyping. Although I´m considering a switch to maybe Unity since Construct 2 lacks a bit on the whole native desktop support. Future will tell.

I was amazed to see the rain effect you made with Construct.
I'm still getting a hang of Game Maker Studio, but it seems like it's similar to Construct in terms of behaviors. Might be another alternative.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 05:48:20 AM by MurderOfPoes » Logged

canary40
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2014, 06:27:34 AM »

I got an idea for the dual weapon aiming.. it might not be easy to use though. Extend an axis along the line that the player is facing. If the location of the mouse is closer to the player move the hands close to each other. If the location is farther from the player, move the hands apart, or vice versa.
matriax
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2014, 06:27:43 AM »

Simply great, the ambient, blood, effects, all looks very polished Shocked congratulations!  Hand Clap
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic