Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:09:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopHELP-Tips on lava graphic like in New Super Mario Bros-Wii
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: HELP-Tips on lava graphic like in New Super Mario Bros-Wii  (Read 2096 times)
Matt Mader
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 24, 2014, 06:39:08 PM »

I just spent around two hours trying to create a lava graphic for my game, google was full of textures but that isn't what I need. I wanted the graphic to look simalar to the one found in new super mario bros Wii. SMB Mario This graphic is for a action/platform game, and I'm sick of  Hand Pencil drawing Hand Pencil any tips?
Thanks!

Lead Designer, Writer, and Programmer of Armageddon Labs

armageddonlabs.jimdo.com
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 06:42:06 AM »

I just spent around two hours trying to create a lava graphic for my game, google was full of textures but that isn't what I need. I wanted the graphic to look simalar to the one found in new super mario bros Wii. SMB Mario This graphic is for a action/platform game, and I'm sick of  Hand Pencil drawing Hand Pencil any tips?
Thanks!

Study Mario's lava more. What is it that makes you want to emulate it?
Matt Mader
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 02:57:39 PM »

Study Mario's lava more. What is it that makes you want to emulate it?

I would like to emulate it becasue:
1. It is instantly recognisable, anyone would know its lava
2. the texture and color of the lava is almost exactly what what I need
3. the animation is pretty smooth, and it just overall looks nice

Thanks!

armageddonlabs.jimdo.com
erebusman
Level 2

no one of consequence

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 03:53:05 PM »

Matt; you are describing the non-tangible things about it you like.

Describe its properties.

You may find that after you can verbally / written describe an objects properties, you will be much more capable of creating it..   at least thats how it works for me Smiley

take these examples:
1: "Make a fruit!"   ... derrrr

2: "Make a circular object, color it red, give it a brown stem that is is 1/4 of the total objects size and a green leaf that is at a 43% angle and as long as the stem but only 1/2 as wide as its length"

Which one could you do a better job creating?

Infernohawke Entertainment
Matt Mader
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 06:24:48 PM »

Sorry  Tongue

OK...

1. It must be animated, minimum of 8 frames. The animation should be relatively flat but bubbling like a fried egg, or slow ripples...like if you threw something in water and slowed down the waves.

2. It should have three color palettes , one gray-scale,  one red colors, and one orange colors. The reds will be used for the lower 6/8 of the lava, and the orange for the top 2/8.

3. It should NOT be flat color, patches of it should be darker or lighter giving it more character.

4. There should be some kind of anti-aliasing between the red and orange sections, so that blur together nicely.

5. There should be a thin (3-5 pixels thick) line of white outlining the TOP ONLY, to contrast from the background.

Its not perfect... Shrug but it will have to do, I'm out of time!

PS. good enough? I don't know exactly what I want, so this is the best I could do.

armageddonlabs.jimdo.com
erebusman
Level 2

no one of consequence

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 07:37:06 AM »

Sorry been busy programming forgot to check up on this :-)

Well did the exercise make it easier for you to visualize how to create it? If so then I'd say good enough!

That's what I do when I'm not sure how to make something so I thought it might help you. Coffee

Infernohawke Entertainment
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic