Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 10:21:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTiny Tires! - Micro Machines-inspired Racing Game
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Tiny Tires! - Micro Machines-inspired Racing Game  (Read 14948 times)
jonkk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2014, 11:04:18 PM »

Mac/PC and probably Linux, eventually. Smiley

Edit: Updated the original post with the platform info. Thanks!

GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2014, 02:34:37 PM »

Mac/PC and probably Linux, eventually. Smiley

Edit: Updated the original post with the platform info. Thanks!

awesome, looks really cute!

queue customary "throwing money at the screen, but northing’s happening" comment  Well, hello there!

ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2014, 07:09:06 PM »

this looks lovely.  I used to play a top down racing game like this in the arcade, not rc pro am but similar.  In between stages you could upgrade your little cars.

Dyn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2014, 11:16:36 PM »

Looks very-very nice.
Hope to see it on mobiles someday.  Smiley

jonkk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2014, 11:43:35 PM »

Looks very-very nice.
Hope to see it on mobiles someday.  Smiley

Thanks! I also hope I can put it on mobile one day, but I'd have to figure out some good control scheme for it first. Not a big fan of just straight-up virtual joysticks..

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2014, 02:06:28 AM »

this is looking really good.

mobile will be tricky if you aren't developing there at the same time. Your control scheme can fill out to the point where it comfortably fits on a joystick, and then you have no way of porting it back. Probably not a huge deal for this though, if you keep it focused.

jonkk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2014, 02:27:48 AM »

Oh, no worry that the control scheme will get too complicated. It'll only be steering and accelerate and brake. It'll never become more than that. Smiley

Will still be a challenge to get right on a touch screen.

And thanks! :D

davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2014, 03:00:44 AM »

wow, this looks really cool, MM was an amazing game and this already looks pretty similar, so keep up the good work Smiley

Blambo
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2014, 04:15:25 PM »

Hi Jon! Just wanted to post here to subscribe.
jonkk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2014, 05:34:49 AM »

So, I haven't worked on this for ages now! Last time I worked on it, I added a dynamic track mesh so I could easily tweak the track in Unity. This was back in April.

https://vine.co/v/M591qxaWMJ3

BUT! This weekend I had a crack at adding some skidmarks to it. After a LOT of trial and error they finally look quite nice!

https://vine.co/v/MVvvBx6VPWw

Since it's a top-down racer, I wanted a solution that didn't fade away too quickly (which might've been a problem with trail renderers, maybe?) so I came up with a custom solution that draws one, single dynamic mesh for all the skidmark points the various cars throw at it. Then it's capped at 40-50 skidmarks to make sure I don't end up with a huuuuuge array it cycles through when redrawing. I might try and figure out how to optimize it so it doesn't need to cycle through the older skidmarks that aren't being updated.

And between struggling with coding those skidmarks I went and modelled a new ramp to replace the placeholder one. A sweet, sick lined paper pad ramp!  Gentleman

rocket5tim
Level 0

outside the frame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2014, 12:31:56 PM »

Looks great! I've been following you on Twitter for a while but just found your devlog. I like how you don't force the player to stay on the course, it's ok to drift onto the table top if you're carrying too much speed. Watching!

jonkk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2014, 12:41:25 AM »

Thanks!

Updated the track a bit. The blueprint now curves up on the bend around the coffee mug. Had to update the dynamic mesh to throw Raycasts down and adjust to the heigh of the track.

Adjustable Track! https://vine.co/v/MY0IOiEDDAi

Driving around the new track: https://vine.co/v/MYEZL2PalUa

jonkk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2014, 11:18:41 AM »

Just a quick update! I'm still working on this, albeit slowly these days. But some stuff has been done.

• Started playing around with UI elements after Unity 4.6 beta came out. Lap time, best lap and player placement numbers:
  • I updated the skidmark renderer so it now fades each skid out neatly over time and can handle at least 500 compared to its meager 50 before.
  • Some little details in the track. LIke these sweet, sweet pencil shavings!

Next step is to keep working on polishing the track's visuals, add some more objects to block out the track. Then I'll make a first working version of a "Race against AI" mode, with 3 laps and a finish (right now there's no end condition) Then I'll move onto getting local same-screen multiplayer running. That'll be.. well, some sort of first alpha, I guess? Something I can hopefully start showing to some people.  Beer!

click image for hi-res

jonkk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2014, 01:31:06 AM »

Recorded some quick footage of the game, to show off where I'm at.

Current plan:

• Finish the first track
  • Work on implementing local same-screen multiplayer
  • Menus, etc.
  • Some tiny bit of polish
  • Release a public alpha/demo to get some feedback, before I go on to create more content

Wishlist for the future:
  • Online multiplayer (This is waaaaaay wishful thinking right there, but man.. would be great!)
  • Some sort of track editor (Again, wishful thinking because the amount of work involved in making the UI good, easy to use, is just.. Ugh..)

Track ideas, so far:
  • Desktop/Blueprint (the first track, close to finished)
  • Pool table
  • Sci-fi Pinball Machine (Bumpers!)
  • Miniature Railroad Model
  • Kitchen Counter (i.e. driving over a gas stove - fire hazard - jumping over boiling pot)
  • Music Track (driving on a keyboard, driving on a spinning record player)
  • Backyard
  • Rube Goldberg Device (The Big Finale! Complete with a rendition of Raymond Scott's Powerhouse B )

Just the other day Codemasters announced their spiritual successor to Micro Machines, called Toybox Turbos. It would've been awesome if they'd actually made the perfect sequel to the old Micro Machines, but the video seems to indicate it's more a continuation of their newer PSOne Micro Machines. So, I decided that this project would still be worth making, differentiating itself with no powerups, weapons or any of that. Just pure, arcade, miniature racing. Hopefully, in the end, these two games will be different enough and cater to different needs. Smiley

EDIT: Also, there's no Youtube embedding here? For shame..
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 01:40:36 AM by jonkk » Logged

Rob Rule
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2014, 03:13:41 AM »

This looks brilliant. Like really brilliant, and I think you've made exactly the right choice with a lack of weapons. It has to be said that while I'm glad it's coming, Toybox Turbo's design looks far too 'busy' and incoherent, while yours is instantly strong even in its early days.
addicted2Code
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2014, 03:40:14 AM »

This looks awesome! Loved RC Pro Am and have always enjoyed top down/toy racers. Was going to ask about power ups but saw your post that there wont' be weapons / power ups - I totally agree with focusing on the racing but I do think some power up types (not guns/missiles Smiley) would maybe add some more variety/excitement to the races (i.e. local multiplayer) such as oil slicks and turbo boosts. Either way keep up the good work!!
jonkk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2014, 04:43:51 AM »

This looks brilliant. Like really brilliant, and I think you've made exactly the right choice with a lack of weapons. It has to be said that while I'm glad it's coming, Toybox Turbo's design looks far too 'busy' and incoherent, while yours is instantly strong even in its early days.

Thanks so much! :D

This looks awesome! Loved RC Pro Am and have always enjoyed top down/toy racers. Was going to ask about power ups but saw your post that there wont' be weapons / power ups - I totally agree with focusing on the racing but I do think some power up types (not guns/missiles Smiley) would maybe add some more variety/excitement to the races (i.e. local multiplayer) such as oil slicks and turbo boosts. Either way keep up the good work!!

Thank you. Yeah, I've debated in my head multiple times whether or not to include just some powerups. But ultimately I feel like there's more than enough arcade racers with those bloody powerups. It's like driving games have split up into wacky, power-up arcade racers and po-faced, pure driving simulator.

So, I think it's time for a.. arcade racer that's wacky but focused on just driving? Yeah, wacky but simple. Hopefully there'll be enough depth to the driving that it'll still be exciting in multiplayer. Smiley 

outlandishPIXEL
Level 0

Gamerling, pixelation artiste & indie devvy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2014, 04:49:28 AM »

This looks great, I still have micro machines on my megadrive and I'd happily play this!

outlandishPIXEL / Gamerling, pixelation artiste & indie devvy / www.outlandishpixel.com / twitter / youtube
jonkk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2014, 05:07:20 AM »

This looks great, I still have micro machines on my megadrive and I'd happily play this!

Thanks! You're definitely the demographic I'm making it for, so that's good! :D

jonkk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2014, 10:13:07 AM »

Did a quick test on a logo animation for the game. I guess this is my official logo now.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic