Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 07:29:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignGashapon/Gachapon Collector - Collab Idea
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Gashapon/Gachapon Collector - Collab Idea  (Read 4154 times)
alexandersshen
Level 2

What's a battle?

View Profile WWW
« on: December 10, 2008, 12:13:37 PM »

Good afternoon everyone!

I was sitting in my cubicle (as I am now) and thinking about Shenmue.  Then I started thinking about what I spent my daily allowance on everyday in that game... Gashapon.  You know, those capsule toys?  The thing where you ended up with 27 "Y Buttons" and only 1 Sonic?  Yes, that thing.

I was thinking of doing the same thing in a downloadable game with all of the capsule toys being graphics (pixel, illustrated, etc.) by the wonderful people here on the forums.  I'd prefer them to be relatively small so emphasize the feel of capsule toys.  I don't want to take (see: steal) any pixel characters without permissions from the original creators.

I think this would just be a fun project for us to see each others work and try to collect it.

As far as how the purchasing power within the game works, players are given a set amount of money per day.  They can do the following with it:
- They can play games of chance (slots, lotto scratcher, etc.) to see if they can up their money.
- They can save it.  Money carries over from day to day.
- Purchase a capsule toy.

Each capsule toy will have a different rarity, while some will only be available during certain times of the day, month or year.  Winning the jackpot in slots, for example, may net you a coveted toy to add to your collection.

I think with each additional version, more and more can be added, retired and so forth.

Any interested in helping with the project by donating some artwork?
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 12:32:32 PM »

i love ideas like this.. but.. i dont think it would work as a sort of weird disjointed mish mash effort...

things like this.. there really needs to be like a 'world' to tie it together. for me.. like for animal crossing.. the hook is in the 'world' that ties it together, visually.

i love collecting games though..
alexandersshen
Level 2

What's a battle?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 01:08:20 PM »

i love ideas like this.. but.. i dont think it would work as a sort of weird disjointed mish mash effort...

things like this.. there really needs to be like a 'world' to tie it together. for me.. like for animal crossing.. the hook is in the 'world' that ties it together, visually.

i love collecting games though..

Fair enough suggestion!  Let me mock something up to see if it makes more sense and to see if it will be more feasible.

I'm a huge fan of Animal Crossing too!
Gorgoo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 01:43:44 PM »

Keep in mind, I've never played the Shenmue series, but I know about the concept of gashapon machines, and I've heard about the game's inclusion of them for collectibles. I have played Super Smash Bros. Melee, though, which had basically the same thing (Brawl replaced it with a more interactive version, I think).

It seems weird, though, to do this as a standalone program. In Shenmue, you were playing an RPG, and the collectible elements were a sidegame that could keep you interested. In Animal Crossing, there are plenty of other things to do. In Smash Bros., you get the money you spend on the trophies just by playing the game, for the most part. All of these feed on the fun of collecting, but none consist of collection alone.

A gashapon-based element of gameplay could be great (and, funnily enough, I've been thinking about it recently, also, but integrated into a sort of strategy game), but it probably wouldn't be interesting enough on its own as a program. Even a graphical world wouldn't help if there was nothing else to do in it. It's a neat idea, though; it just doesn't seem like it could stand on its own.

But I might have misunderstood, and you might not have been going for that. Sorry if I did.
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 02:16:28 PM »

This would actually be perfect for Balding's Quest, if it ever returns, or Indie Brawl.

A little capsule toy machine where you spend coins you've collected and get a random "toy".  Since it's a community project, there would be toys from tons of different indie developers who are members here.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 02:19:57 PM »

Naked Skull Man totally needs to be in there.

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 03:27:12 PM »

I'd be happy to make some toys. Please?
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 04:01:27 PM »

well i think tigfourms needs a shitty(awesomeshitty, not shittyshitty) gentlemenly  steampunk webrpg like crunchlyland or adventurequest then we can waste hours dueling and slapping each other for money so that we can buy bigger top haps and gashapon capsules with special art or music by forum members

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
godsavant
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 04:41:13 PM »

well i think tigfourms needs a shitty(awesomeshitty, not shittyshitty) gentlemenly  steampunk webrpg like crunchlyland or adventurequest then we can waste hours dueling and slapping each other for money so that we can buy bigger top haps and gashapon capsules with special art or music by forum members

I'm pretty sure there was some amount of sarcasm in this post, but I do agree on a smaller scale; personally, I would love to have some small "achievements" here and there, with some nice rewards like the aforementioned gashapon prizes.
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 04:44:39 PM »

yes, both of the games are retarded, but seeing as this is a gaming community, i think it would be fun to have some sort of community game, more for community sake than for playing a game

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
The-Imp
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 04:45:45 PM »

I'd be happy to make some toys. Please?
Me too!
 Smiley

And I'd rather enjoy slapping other TIGers for money.

That'd be amazing.
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 05:19:34 PM »

This makes me remember that topic about something similar to Steam, but for indie games. It could certainly provide integration for these aspects (gashapon capsules, slapping TIGers, achievements), if there was one.
Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 05:24:02 PM »

I had this exact idea years ago.

http://www.create-games.com/forum_post.asp?id=128811
alexandersshen
Level 2

What's a battle?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 12:00:04 PM »

Holy crap.  I'm so outdated.  It's been a while since I finished my comic http://www.wanderingpandacomics.com/gashaponshop/comic.php?comic=1 too.  Old habits die hard, eh?

But I'll get something together for us to look at and see if anyone wants to play.  Yay, collecting art!  Thanks for all the replies everyone!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic