Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:15:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Animation Help Thread
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Animation Help Thread  (Read 15594 times)
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« on: August 04, 2007, 09:52:25 PM »

Hand Crafted Radio and I are working on a game together ( we just started not too long ago). I drew this animation for the main character. We can't tell if his body is getting smaller when he goes into combat stance and I'm not quite sure what part of his body looks a little off (maybe its just us from looking at it for too long?). It would be great to have you guy's input about the art and about the animation. Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 03:21:06 PM by Derek » Logged

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 02:43:38 AM »

Yeah, his head and torso look like they're getting a little smaller than they should be.  Also, his back leg is a little too far back.  Looks like he's doing the splits, almost!

The way his pant wrinkles as he bends his knee is odd, too.  Almost like he's wearing paper pants.

Other than that, it's a pretty cool animation! Smiley
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 11:18:55 AM »

Hows this look for the stance, i beefed him up a bit and made his head bigger. Ill put the whole animation together and post it later today. Any more crits? or tell me that i didn't fix it right just let 'em loose. Thanks for your crit derek, helped a lot.

Bebop
Level 0

Space Monkey Rocks

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 08:55:10 AM »

I would like feedback on mine too. I know the frame rate is too high.
I could be used for a game. the first part is it is arriving then composing and walking.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 09:15:31 AM »

Nizzate: The animation looks a bit weird because, I believe, that the foot that is far from us is placed too high. Lower it a bit to see how it looks. Is this gmae going to be isometrical? It could be an idea to show us a bit of the background to give us a feel of the context of the animation.

Bebop: Try to work on your key frame so that your blob feels like a gelatinous shape. I did a quick Gif animation to explain what I mean. Keep the first shape untouched until about halfway then, when moving closer to the ground, start to stretch the mass toward the ground. This way, you'll have a much stronger fall effect. Also, deform your blob as it spreads on the ground and then reforms to it's full stance. Don't worry too much about deforming the Blob. You can easily stretch it out and it will look very natural.

Keep it up guys!

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 09:42:25 AM »

i did an edit of your sprite.  A few things that i changed
-fixed up some ugly sprites hanging out from the sides on the fall
-made the drips keep dropping (before you had two drips but they just disappeared)
-lowered the frames
-made him bounce a little more even
-made him squish in  bit when he hits the floor (like Guert showed)

I hope this helps some
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 09:55:47 AM by nizzate » Logged

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 10:32:44 AM »

The squishing still looks a little weird to me, almost like he still starts to spread out a bit too early. The problem might just be that he really gains a lot of volume suddenly when he hits the ground, and it looks a bit strange.

Also, I liked the high framerate.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 12:37:14 PM »

Heres the mock up screen shot. I just animated him so you can see the bounce.  He is supposed to be in combat stance sort of leaning back and forth.

also on the green ooze monster topic, your right cake, he needs to squish more i didn't want to spend too much time editing it and Guert had already said something about it. But my edit does need to squish a bit more.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 12:49:19 PM by nizzate » Logged

Bebop
Level 0

Space Monkey Rocks

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 04:31:59 PM »

Maybe If i slow down the recomposition of the goo. IT coulb be better and do a tower like composition. I'll work on that. Oh And thanks Guert I understand what you mean.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 04:33:53 PM by Bebop » Logged
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 05:15:56 PM »

Nizzate: Hmmm... I'm gonna take a closer look at this... Talk to you a bit later...

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 05:33:53 PM »

Alright... I did a real quick image while searching for the answer.
I feel like the stance you have is like if the character was leaning back, like he was sliding. The crude and ugly outlines I did beside him uses a more straight position... I think your stance should be using an angle closer to the rough draft I made rather than the slanted way.

The stance should also remind us of the running animation since there are only few steps between stance and run...

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 09:09:36 PM »

Thanks guert that looks nice but not really the stance im going for, that is more of an upright fighting stance but im looking for a more leaned back ninja style. Maybe this picture of the ninja may help and i also made an incredibly crude animation to show you what i mean but i dont know how well it will interpret what i want it to look like.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 05:37:43 AM »

Ok I see what you mean. I'm gonna think about this and see if I can help you a bit more...

Later!

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 02:43:33 AM »

The highlight on his side, under the arm, makes it looke like he's leaning WAY back.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Outer God
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2007, 05:47:22 PM »

@ nizzate

i'm no expert on pixel art, but i do know quite a bit on animation.  first off, the sudden shift from run to battle stance is far too quick since he snaps into position almost instantly.  add at least a frame or two to show the shift in animation.  if you added frames to show this shift, then the battle stance won't look so hard to understand.  still, i find the stance awkward for such a burly character.

The pic's below to show you wat i mean.  i gave it a bit of anticipation as he leans forward to stop, then goes into battle stance.  it's pretty crappy and rough, but i'm not used to graphics tablets atm.

@ Bebop

Guert's right, it needs to look more jello upon impact to the ground.  looks cool when it forms into a face though, you got the timing just right for that.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 05:50:49 PM by Outer God » Logged
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2007, 05:58:12 PM »

Ah ha, I was workin' on a fast sketch of something along those lines but this is better... I think you should head toward the sketch of Outer god! Good work! Wink

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2007, 06:37:35 PM »

Thanks for the help Outergod and Guert.  Just wanted to let you know i will post my update soon.  I might decide to go with a position more similar to guert's drawing but im not sure.  Were going to test out both styles and see which one feels better. Thanks again for the help.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 07:29:34 PM by nizzate » Logged

Outer God
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2007, 11:37:51 PM »

good idea.  guert's is a lot more simpler and suited for the angle, so animating won't be as difficult.
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2007, 08:32:20 AM »

Show us what you'll have when you can!

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2007, 10:04:06 AM »

Looks good....very dynamic but you might want to work a little more with the proportion of the sprite to the rest of his body and how fast he moves...

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic