Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:39:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPodium -Dev Thread-
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Podium -Dev Thread-  (Read 2679 times)
Aaron P
Level 0

!

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2008, 07:21:37 AM »

Yay Dev Threads!

Ok, i've thrown ideas together and thrown them out the window just as quick, but I'm gonna get this one done, and complete, even if it takes all of 09 to do it, I have to stay focused.

That being said...

Podium is a one-player puzzle/strategy/sandbox game. The main objective of the game is to build a defense system around a "core" and not allow the core to be destroyed. The user will accomplish this by first taking "Material" and building "Base" blocks. The user then combines multiple "Base" blocks together to create other types, such as "Shield", "Heal" and "Attack" blocks. These blocks will then serve the purpose of assisting the task of defending the structure as a whole.

The game will start in a tutorial like mode, where the user will focus on creating a structure and embedding it's core within a well designed defense. After awhile, the user will be alerted to something that is incoming. These events will trigger then every 30-40 secs and range from a impending hail of material in which the user must gather, to enemies that will provide multiple challenges, such as freezing entire sections of the structure from use for periods of time, or worms that burrow through the structure in attempt to reach the core, causing the user to have to sacrafice a part of the structure in order to rid of the pest.

This is WIP/Mockup Phase, so there are no concrete things yet, be it gameplay, art or music. I do have a pair of mock-ups though that kinda represent what style the game may ultimately portray. There is no story, no characters, no plot. I'm hoping the gameplay will overshadow that fact.

This is what the game might look like when you first begin.

This is what a more graduated structure might look like, and enemies to assimilate it.

Any questions, comments, or general interest, fire away!  Tired

Oh yeah, as for the name. All of the blocks you build your structure with will be referred to as "Pods". And the Latin suffix -ium roughly means "more complicated" or references a more complicated version of something.

For instance. The Latin "Auditor" is someone who listens to a teacher. The latin "auditorium" is a hall or lecture room....

Ehh, it seemed clever when I created it...heh..
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 07:29:36 AM by AaronP » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic