Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:20:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTimespinner: 2D Metroidvania with time travel
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Timespinner: 2D Metroidvania with time travel  (Read 12703 times)
Lunais
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2014, 01:50:42 PM »

Yo, this is looking cool! I like the character design, and the pixel art is pretty sick, too. Keep it up!

:D Yay! I've never been that good at art, but I suppose practice makes better, haha.

Lately I've been working on cutscene scripting. Here's a screenshot of the player jumping out of a Time Portal (from the past to the present). Lots of fun shader work to do fancy procedural stuff like this!

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2014, 03:54:22 PM »

I love this! Does the portal open and then close quickly (like the time portals in Chrono Trigger) or does it stay open like that, with some neat parallax distance effect on the mountain range in the portal?

Lunais
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2014, 09:25:34 PM »

I love this! Does the portal open and then close quickly (like the time portals in Chrono Trigger) or does it stay open like that, with some neat parallax distance effect on the mountain range in the portal?

A little of both actually. When you warp in it opens and then closes for a nice cinematic effect. There are times when a gate will stay open (such as before jumping in) and thus have a parallax on them as you walk by.

Lunais
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2014, 03:10:25 PM »

Lately I've been working on story cutscene stuff- this is an area that I haven't spent much time in  (I've been focusing so much on gameplay and content!).

Here's a shot from the opening cutscene, where the actual Timespinner is being activated to send the characters back in time.

CasePortman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2014, 03:50:35 AM »

Just watched the gameplay vid of this and stumbled upon this thread and my god, you've got a true gem on your hands!
Green Gospod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2014, 06:28:35 AM »

Those are some great majestic places!
Bosses better be the same.  Smiley
Lunais
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2014, 03:59:17 PM »

Just watched the gameplay vid of this and stumbled upon this thread and my god, you've got a true gem on your hands!

*blush* Thanks! We're working on getting a Kickstarter up and running very soon- keep an eye out!

Those are some great majestic places!
Bosses better be the same.  Smiley

:D Yay, I'm glad you think so! I'm hoping to make the bosses similar in awesomeness to some of the epic fights in Castlevania- stuff like Granfaloon/Legion from SotN and most of the bosses from Order of Ecclesia.

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2014, 09:03:43 PM »

Ahh that scene looks amazing! I'm hoping those gears are animated at some point!

Lunais
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2014, 11:37:10 AM »

Ahh that scene looks amazing! I'm hoping those gears are animated at some point!

Yep, they're animated, but I was hesitant to post because it doesn't look quite as good in GIF format- it's much better in 60fps.

I had fun with the energy-thread animation- it's a custom pixel shader with a sliding gradient.

The design of the Timespinner is inspired by spindle spinning-wheels (the things that turn clumps of fiber into thread). I originally had made it a literal spinning wheel, but it felt kind of lame. So I ended up going with this- much bigger and more ornate. I'm happy with the final design!

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2014, 02:04:36 PM »

Yess, it's exactly as I imagined it would look! I'm sure it looks a lot better seeing it in real-time, of course. I love the animated gradient- really classic!

Lunais
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2014, 12:55:43 PM »

Here's some work I've been doing for 'notable moments' for the upcoming Kickstarter Smiley

This is the charge attack for the green Blade Orb. Each orb has a unique melee attack and a spell-based ranged attack. The melee attacks are free, while there are consumable resources or charging required to use the ranged attacks.

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2014, 03:05:07 PM »

I absolutely love it
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 08:21:36 PM by Rakugaki-Otoko » Logged

Bakuda
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2014, 06:54:55 PM »

Wow...this is all very impressive.  Time travel always makes things interesting.  And the artwork is superb.  I'm loving it!!!

Lunais
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2014, 08:37:27 PM »

:D Thanks you guys <3

Lately I've been working on finishing up the Kickstarter campaign(coming very soon :D).

During building-campaign downtime, I've been playing around with some other miscellaneous game mechanics. Here's a shot of me trying out palette swaps for alternative outfits, similar to how Samus changes color with the Varia suit. (Also, hey look, Cave Siren :D)

I've only actually changed the 'trim' color here, but changing the fabric color seems to radically change the sprite too much. I'll have to play around with it some more Smiley

Coopaloops
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2014, 08:11:36 PM »

Loving the looks of this!!! It's like Castlevania and Chrono Trigger got together had a baby. Keep up the great work! Will be following. =)

Congraturation this story is happy end. Thank you.

Sword Legends
Lunais
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2014, 09:27:49 PM »

Thanks for the wonderful compliments, everyone! :D

Big news! The Timespinner Kickstarter is going LIVE tomorrow evening! (Wednesday PST)
Keep your eye out for more announcements. I'm super excited to show everyone the video that I've been working on!  Beer!

To tide you over until then, here's some Super Sprites of Lunais and Meyef, the protagonists of the game.

Xtra Mile
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2014, 09:31:57 PM »

Looking great. Instantly reminded me of Castlevania. Looking forward to the trailer. Best of luck with the Kickstarter!

Lunais
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2014, 08:30:05 PM »

The Timespinner Kickstarter Campaign is now live! It seems to be doing well, let's hope it keeps up the momentum!

I also launched a Greenlight Campaign at the same time because...well, the trailer is really good, so I might as well use it for Greenlight, too XD

PeteHuf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2014, 10:24:03 PM »

Looks very nice! The music sold me. Pledged!

Biodrome Devlog! Competitive exploration in procedural platformer adventure worlds.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2014, 11:17:34 PM »

Awesome good luck with the KS guys!

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic