Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 03:21:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBattle in the Drum of Every Heart (brave class prototype! :O)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
Print
Author Topic: Battle in the Drum of Every Heart (brave class prototype! :O)  (Read 41007 times)
Candlejack
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: February 06, 2009, 05:16:18 PM »

Why not just have attacks selected from a menu? Also, the melee attack should be automatic when near an enemy.
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: February 06, 2009, 07:12:57 PM »

thank keyser!  i look forward to seeing what youre working on salade!

these are all interesting ideas for combat systems, but they dont really sounds like they fit for this particular game. try to imagine what the scene is going to be like if there are half a  dozen little men running all over the screen. having a strong reliance on short range melee combat for the brave is going to turn combat into a mindless attacking moshpit, because there is not enough resolution for precise and strategic short range combat. there just arent enough pixels.

with throwing being the main attack, there is more space and time between combat interactions and therefore more time for thinking and aiming and dodging.

there are still going to be short range attacks (a spin attack) to be used when you get surrounded and want to knock people away. theres also a jump stomp attack.

in general, we want to think nes style game play with as few menus or mouse actions as possible. we want to focus on interesting attacks with simple but compounding executions.

oh and i havent forgotten about the game! i promise!  Hand Shake Left Concerned Hand Shake Right

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 18, 2009, 01:39:59 PM »

oh and i havent forgotten about the game! i promise!  Hand Shake Left Concerned Hand Shake Right
Please tell me this is still true.  Beg
Krumbs
Level 1

Huun Huur Tu

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 18, 2009, 03:01:43 PM »

I'm very exited about this game being available for Mac, and I don't get exited easily. The game is packed with good ideas, the classes are really cool and the art is lovely. And the idea of having to destroy the enemies Totem pole to  win is fantastic. I only wish I could play this game now, I'm beginning to love my Mac less and less.
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 18, 2009, 07:33:40 PM »

I know he hasn't forgotten about it because he's talked about it a bit recently.

ChevyRay
« Reply #185 on: April 18, 2009, 07:57:40 PM »

HOW HAVE I NEVER SEEN THIS TOPIC

Michael, this looks and sounds fantastic! Props, buddy! I've thought up games that have had similar gameplay design, but your concepts and theme of choice is really cool, and I look forward to this.

<3<3
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 19, 2009, 01:49:09 AM »

Why did this thread die?
ChevyRay
« Reply #187 on: April 19, 2009, 01:55:08 AM »

I don't know, but...

in general, we want to think nes style game play with as few menus or mouse actions as possible. we want to focus on interesting attacks with simple but compounding executions.
I think that's an excellent approach. Most tactical games don't take this route, and bog you down with menus, controls, and too many units clogged together bog things up. Definitely go with your gut on this one.
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 19, 2009, 01:59:34 AM »

I don't know, but...

I think that's an excellent approach. Most tactical games don't take this route, and bog you down with menus, controls, and too many units clogged together bog things up. Definitely go with your gut on this one.
This approach is exactly why I want this game to happen.  The fighting game thing I'd started last summer was a lot like this, because I really love the simplicity you get from having very few input buttons, yet a lot of attacks that can be performed with what you've got.  That's how the MM Zero games on the GBA worked, and those are a pinnacle of action platformers in my books.
YagerX
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: April 19, 2009, 02:49:24 AM »

The controls in the prototype are silky smooth, keep up the good work!

michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: April 21, 2009, 10:37:32 AM »

Kiss

this game makes me happy everytime i think about it

unfortunately(depending on perspective) im forseening 60 hour work weeks until mid june

but it will be made! >:O

this is the last thing i worked on hes going to have a quick whirl which will be his close melee attack, but then also a continued whirlwind move that will knock enemies away (and decongest spaces). that move will drain energy.

im not too satisfied with the animation. im invisioning something richer, and more enveloping, like he becomes a tiny whirlwind for a second, rather than actually rotating in a circle, more cartoony i guess.

if someone wants to help out with that animation then we could get it put into the prototype

thank you so much for the support and encouragement Tears of Joy

RoseSkye
Level 0

Rmxp Prodigy

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 21, 2009, 11:01:38 AM »

Mock Anger

*checks to see if there are any indians around*

Mmm...

Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 21, 2009, 05:59:55 PM »

unfortunately(depending on perspective) im forseening 60 hour work weeks until mid june
Awesome.

You do mean on the game, right?
ChevyRay
« Reply #193 on: April 21, 2009, 06:25:19 PM »

Aw, I'd totally help out with the animations if I already wasn't swamped with collabs right now. I love doing tiny sprite animations so much.

Keep rockin' this, michael! Grin
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: April 21, 2009, 09:17:56 PM »

no prob. if something is truly important, then it can wait. thats what i always say.

we'll get'er'dun

PlasmaMan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 27, 2009, 07:38:56 PM »

If you haven't decided already, I have an idea for attacks to keep the system simple. The HUD for the player could include a circle with the names of attacks written on the perimeter, and "MELEE" written in the middle. When the attack button is held(or another button is pushed, if that'd be annoying), a little arrow rotates to the next command and the name glows. When the attack button is pushed, the character preforms whatever action is highlighted. When the character is near an enemy, "MELEE" would be highlighted and they'd use the close attack that knocks enemies back.
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: April 27, 2009, 08:38:47 PM »

hmmm, that does sound very simple efficient and streamlined. unfortunately, it doesnt sound very natural, intuitive, or coordinatively(now a word) challenging. also, words would be very big because the resolution is so low, so that circle would be rather large.

my idea is to have simple button combos for melee moves and various kinds of clickable icons for 'spell's and such. but i also want each class to be differentiated by playing style as by attributes.

like how the war drummer has a rhythm style combat system and the brave has brawler style system. the shaman might have an aquaria style system or something and the cultivator might have some sort of tech tree system. who knows what the rest will have...

no really, who knows? what gameplay system could be scaled down to nes limitations (well with a mouse too) and would be fitting for the characteristics of the different classes? thats what i think about as i lay in bed at night anyway  Undecided

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 28, 2009, 08:07:59 AM »

I think the mouse should be left out of it. The mouse just doesn't feel as solid as oldschool button controls, I think there's a risk of it feeling like soldat more than cave story.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 28, 2009, 08:19:20 AM »

I think mouse control would be nice, actually. It makes aiming, you know, possible.

for NES style controls:

START: Menu
A BUTTON: Jump
B BUTTON: Attack
SELECT: Switch through skills.

Simple, no? I think it should be expanded beyond such restricting button limits, though. Maybe a Q/E style layout for switching to the next/previous ability.

Also, replace B Button with Mouse click for mouse control. Move the arrow keys over to WASD, and make space the jump button (or a different button, if you want to prevent any potential keyboard locking).
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: April 28, 2009, 08:40:00 AM »

well not all classes will need the mouse, the brave doesnt have it and the chief, drummer, and buffalo rider wont need it.

right now, if you check out the prototype, the brave just has arrows movements and z x for attack and jump. the special whirl attack will be something like z + <- then ->, just simple combos.

we'll want to make sure that the scout doesnt feel too much like soldat, i definitely want to minimize the use of the mouse for twitch stuff that would favor people with super mouses.

the q/e style would probably be very useful for the drummer to switch which rhythms he'll be playing

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic