Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:46:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsthe nightmare cooperative (pc released / working on mobile) [puzzle roguelike]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: the nightmare cooperative (pc released / working on mobile) [puzzle roguelike]  (Read 20604 times)
Matt Rohr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2014, 09:09:51 AM »

The art is spectacular!

Not sure how I feel about the gameplay yet though.
I do like the simplicity of it in terms of user input.

Yanifska
Level 0

www.yanivcahoua.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2014, 09:23:08 PM »

Great art, and I like the simplicity of the ideathat still offers possibility for deep gameplay.
I look forward to try the final product.
Somehow I envision this game more as a mobile game....

Yanifska
Level 0

www.yanivcahoua.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2014, 11:37:22 AM »

Hi I tried the alpha from steam and I liked it, here are my thought:

It is REALLY HARD, I'd like to have a more progressive difficulty.
The lack of potion makes me feel power less most of the time, and I feel I am missing some of the fun by not having a lot of special atacks.
I feel a lack of sense of progression and a lack of goal.
Is there a goal to the game, more than looting gold and getting as deep as you can ?

I don't know if you have already implemented some of those but I have a few ideas:
- find keys that unlock special/secret levels
- find key to unlock special characters(they could be in a cage/prison)
- have the possibility to actually buy something with the gold

Also I find that this kind of game would be more adapted for mobile platform...I am nt sure I will have the patience to play on pc, and it's siplicity makes me want to play on my phone rather than on PC.

On the technical side, I think there is a small bug when I climb down to the next level : I think some of the sprites like the zzz and the characters are displayed before the level is loaded.

That's it for now, I hope it helps, I will play it again anyway this is definitely a fun and challenging game, just how I like it, would love to play it on my phone.
Keep up the good work

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2014, 11:56:24 AM »

cool, thanks for the feedback. Yeah, there is an end state, but I should probably communicate progress through the levels more effectively. I guess things like spelunky generated a kind of wiki audience so that you can go look up how many levels there are, but not having that for alphas is tough. I can't remember the exact number of levels, maybe 16?

I do want to add unlocking characters, and maybe purchasing stuff, but the game is actually a highscore based thing, so it should be a tradeoff between getting a highscore and getting to the end easier. Hopefully character unlocking will be in there later this week tho.

I suspect that I will need to put progression stuff on the unlocks to communicate that they are in there to people.

I am the inverse with mobile v pc, I will give things on pc way way way more time. Mobile will be coming shortly after this version. I have a hack job running already, but it needs a bunch of work.

Started working on the unlock screen today:

Yanifska
Level 0

www.yanivcahoua.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2014, 02:17:51 AM »

Maybe you can have an illustration of a tower on the side of the screen or on the "gameover" screen,  showing where you are / how far you arrived.

High score is not enough to make me want more I think, maybe have some kind of "side quest", like finding parts of an artifact, or have 3 keys to unlock a super weapon....just throwing ideas.

Also What are the items like the boots or the neckalace, what do they do ?
Cheers

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2014, 02:30:25 AM »

Also What are the items like the boots or the neckalace, what do they do ?

you can hover mouse for tooltips that explain all the items, but those two are "ignore single enviroment dmg" and "potions up / health down"

yeah, I would really like to get more secret items and quest type stuff in there, I hope I will have time for it. If not, I will do it post release in a patch.

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2014, 08:28:02 AM »

Added in the character unlocking (will upload a new build with this feature shortly). Also the discovery screen so you can get a sense of what you still have left to unlock.

then the last feature to complete before launch is the between world screens and some type of progress bar.

Here is the first between level screen (I think it comes up after the tutorial?)

Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2014, 01:33:26 PM »

Just tried it out, really really fun! Do you have any plans on adding multiplayer?

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2014, 08:59:07 AM »

No we hadn't, but it seems like an interesting idea. I just have no clue how it would work. . . do you have any suggestions for that?

RagyTheDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2014, 11:10:33 AM »

THE NIGHTMARE COOPERATIVE

Play alpha version (unity webplayer)

A puzzle roguelike.

you control multiple characters, each with their own special move, and need to get through the 10 levels of the dungeon. Along the way, you can collect loot and more characters to help your party.

We have a page up on our website for the upcoming main release.
i love it dude! its awesome! you did that on unity! congrats! :D
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2014, 01:51:01 PM »

No we hadn't, but it seems like an interesting idea. I just have no clue how it would work. . . do you have any suggestions for that?
Okay, so basically it's like single player, but each player can move freely(without affecting other players) and the only things that other players can move are the people that they recruit. So other players can't move around people that aren't part of their clan (If that makes sense)  Tongue

Sorry for the late reply, I had to kind of think about how to explain it.  Grin
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 03:11:25 PM by Slader16 » Logged

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2014, 02:01:35 AM »

I'll expand on it tomorrow morning

cool, excited to hear! there is a low likelyhood that they will make it in for the first release, but I am planning on doing a bunch of post launch work on this game. There are a bunch of character concepts and enemies that we didn't get around to putting in.

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2014, 08:44:27 PM »

hmm, interesting concept. I am not sure how well it would balance with the turn order that is in place in the game. I guess I could balance it by lowering the amount of enemy spawns. I guess I could have turn order stuff with player / player / enemies. That works ok with something like arkham horror. the other thing to solve (and this is just a general issue with co-op board games) is that one player doesn't end up controlling everything.

An interesting variation would be a character that moves on a different phase than all the other characters, so when he is on your team you get two input phases before the enemies run. That would probably work within the system that I have in already.

I am on a different continent now, and have been smoothing out some bugs and adding features. The change log from the build I posted today:
- NEW: new save system
- FIXED: fixes to persistant tooltips
- NEW: particle effects for miner and frozen state
- NEW: spawning on a timer (and display of that timer)
- FIXED: removed references to the keyboard help (won't be in there for launch)
- FIXED: chestplate passive / mana pendant passives do immediate reductions on AP / HP
- FIXED: targeting displays are removed when character is frozen
- FIXED: distance enemies targeting display no longer breaks ice floor display
- FIXED: action sounds no longer play for characters that aren't doing an action

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2014, 10:46:37 AM »

trailer is up (and so close to 131 views!)

barneycumming
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2014, 10:52:24 AM »

looks lovely!

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2014, 06:27:45 PM »

hey thanks! your game looks awesome too. Good launch mates Smiley

Mr. Virus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2014, 01:09:25 AM »

Looking good guys :D!

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2014, 02:49:10 AM »

Saw Yann at the Edinburgh Game Symposium and wanted to say that Lucky Frame are hugely inspiring to me as a student creating games. I love the way you approach development, fun and innovation above all else. Thank you.

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2014, 11:08:52 AM »

aww, thanks folks!

I am in a different timezone than the other guys for the next few months, so our dev cycle is:

I work disconnected from everyone all day, make some mockups, shut down bugs, maybe implement a new feature or two.
 I go to sleep, wake up and there is a nice long bug list to burn down. I talk through the mockups with the other guys, and the strange difficult things, then start burning through the list, rinse and repeat.

This morning has been fixing graphical issues and level gen and saving stuff. Hopefully this afternoon I will get to the point where I can actually work on the new features. Aiming to push out a new build for testers tomorrow.

my mockup of a progress bar for the game over screen, hopefully to solve one of the complaints with not knowing how long the game is going to be.

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2014, 02:46:41 PM »

just posted a new build for those that have access on steam. here is the change log:

CHANGE: level difficulty tweaks
CHANGE: astral walker can hover over acid / lava
CHANGE: special attacks don't effect builder block
CHANGE: can click the menu / replay buttons on the game over screen
CHANGE: spawn eggs have a single hitpoint, so you can kill them if you are quick
NEW: progress bar or game over screen
NEW: particle effect for waiting character you didn't choose
NEW: cool preview animations
FIX: faster and fastest mode are now capped at 60fps. People were having problems with their fans running all the time, this should fix it
FIX: debug keys not accessible from steam build (sorry, no cheating)
FIX: save / restore correctly saves waiting characters and enemy spawn locations
FIX: flood fill inaccessible empty spaces so astral can't deadlock game
FIX: a whole pile of graphical layering issues (special displays, cool down displays, wall shadows, monsters going under pickups)
FIX: dying from the poison correctly clears character
FIX: particle effects don't show up while the level is loading in
FIX: skelton was causing the hud to get wonky when a non necromancer character left the level

I am sure there is some stuff that I forgot, but this is probably the penultimate build. Going to start thinking about and designing the tablet / phone versions soon. I think the big part of it will be getting a portrait mode version working on phones. doing scaleable displays is such a pain in the ass too, so I will probably do something that just fits fine on small iphone, then minor scaling on android stuff. A bit worried about scaling, I couldn't get it working great on the computer version.

The other thing that I want to start working on is a puzzle mode for this game, I think fixed levels with fixed enemies and characters and stuff would both be fun to design and play.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic