Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 08:18:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingPunchy Face - Simple top-down action
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Punchy Face - Simple top-down action  (Read 757 times)
8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: March 03, 2014, 05:47:03 PM »

Hey y'all! I finally took my archery experiment and turned into a full prototype! (Check out the original experiment here: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=38740.0)

It's a top down action game, with two characters to choose from. One is an updated version of ol' Shooty from the experiment - you charge your shots before firing and can knock enemies back. The other player character is the titular Punchy who punches his foes right in the face to defeat them! He can also leap around to close gaps and escape tight situations.

I'm not much of an artist, but I enjoy making my own sprites. They're quite simple but I hope they get everything across!

Download the game from my itch.io page here: http://drewdunaj.itch.io/pf

Controls are detailed in "How to play"

Oh, and there's no way to get back to character select unless you quit out or beat it. Sorry, don't know how to make pause menus yet...

UPDATE: gifs, baby! Sorry the frame rate sucks, you cant see the bullet from Shooty, but rest assured I am shooting bullets!

Screenshots!!

Specifically want to know how everything feels, and maybe your record times. Is it too hard? Too easy? Hate it? LET ME KNOW!

Thanks, Drew  Gentleman
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 05:41:40 PM by 8Points » Logged
CogentInvalid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 10:00:32 AM »

This game was pretty fun. It did have a bit of an odd feel to it, though, because there was no acceleration to anything; everything moved at constant speeds, even when it was being knocked back. I think the game would feel a lot more fluid if instead of changing objects' position, you changed their velocity, so that the physics would feel a little more realistic.

As far as balance goes, I think Punchy was a lot more difficult than Shooty. Although you didn't have to aim quite as much, it required a lot more precise timing because of the short range of his attack, and the fact that he's a melee character in an instakill game immediately raises the stakes quite a bit.

I think this game has a lot of potential as an arena game with infinitely respawning enemies (which I thought it was, actually, until I realized you could destroy the spawners). It might even be cool to have the spawners be destructible, but respawn themselves over time, giving a sort of territorial control aspect to the gameplay as you have to take back sections of the map. That's just personal preference, though, so if you think it would be better as a level-based game that's fine with me.

8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 08:55:35 AM »

Thanks for playin! Great feedback, too.

I didn't understand how to program velocity and friction until like a week ago, but I agree it would probably feel better with that movement system rather than its current jerkiness.

Punchy being significantly harder than Shooty is something I've heard from pretty much everyone who's played. I find that interesting because I thought the original version of Punchy, who killed enemies in one hit always, was far too easy - you could just spam your punches when an enemy started getting within range and you'd be fine. So I added a third enemy to his level, didn't make enough of a difference. So I made him have to land 2 hits, and knockback enemies on the first one. I thought that made it appropriately difficult, but maybe I went a bit overboard...

I also considered making this arena style, though I thought it might lead to camping. I figured making it level based, giving a specific objective to accomplish other than survival, to compel players to move around. Specifically, it lets me easily create areas of conflict. I'm not saying it couldn't work as an arena game, but I would have to make some significant changes to make it play the right way.

And I didn't mention this in the OP but I'm trying to make a new game every month, so I won't be iterating on this game for a while, if ever. It was fun to make, and I can see some easy ways to make it better, so I may come back to this one day and grow it out, but don't hold your breath haha...

Again, thanks for playing, and for the feedback - I'll be taking this knowledge with me to my future projects!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic