Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411486 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:33:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessAddresses of indie game blogs
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Addresses of indie game blogs  (Read 9249 times)
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« on: December 12, 2008, 05:29:04 AM »

I intend to employ some mailing carpet bomb tactics to market my games because my name is not Jason goddamn Rohrer and blogs won't blog about my games unless I shove them down their throats. Please to be giving me addresses of blogs that blog about independent games.

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 05:39:11 AM »

Er, I'm not sure that "shove them down their throats" is going to help in that regard Shocked

They were putting together a list like this on the GDR a while back. Dunno if it'll be any help to you, but here it is anyway.

increpare
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 05:42:14 AM »

I intend to employ some mailing carpet bomb tactics to market my games because my name is not Jason goddamn Rohrer and blogs won't blog about my games unless I shove them down their throats. Please to be giving me addresses of blogs that blog about independent games.
One other thing that helps a lot PR wise, I've heard, is keeping a face on various community boards.  In that regards, maybe this list might be helpful also?
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 05:45:59 AM »

Oh, reveal the secret list to you, eh? All our hard work will be for naught if anyone can just *ask* for the list! But okay.

The big four:
- tigsource.com
- indiegames.com/blog
- playthisthing.com
- gametunnel.com

A few others that sometimes review indie games if they're really good indie games:
- joystiq.com
- kotaku.com
- rockpapershotgun.com
- jayisgames.com

Sites that review indie games but don't have a whole lot of traffic:
- indiegamemag.com
- bytejacker.com
- the personal blogs of indie developers (auntie pixelante, etc.)

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 05:48:36 AM »

Another possible tactic is this: find an indie game similar to your own. Find all the reviews of that game. Email the people who wrote each of those reviews about your game.

increpare
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 05:50:28 AM »

Another possible tactic is this: find an indie game, X, say, similar to your own. Find all the reviews of that game. Email the people who wrote each of those reviews about your game.  They will write a review describing it as an 'X-clone'. Srsly.

(reasonable advice, though)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 05:58:10 AM »

True, but better a review calling your game a clone than no review at all.

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 06:44:24 AM »

Hell, indie blogs lurve clones. Lookit The Underside and the eighty Crayon Physics-likes. (is crayon physics the original? I forgot)

TheBlackMask
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 09:05:46 AM »

Just change your name to Jason Rohrer, that will solve everything.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 09:58:15 AM »

Or you can even just make a game called:

Jason Rohrer's and Jonathan Blow's Mega Omniludicon 3!

Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 10:31:10 AM »

Or you can even just make a game called:

Jason Rohrer's and Jonathan Blow's Mega Omniludicon 3!

Zaratustra present's Jason Rohrer's Heart of Darkness 1: Into the Meadow
Powergloved Andy
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 11:12:08 AM »

lol shove it down their throat!  :D

I am not sure many indie bloggers, sepcially somebody such as Tim W, will enjoy that too much! But hey, press is press I suppose.  :D From my understanding getting blogs to review your game isn't a big deal, as long as it's creative and fun. Otherwise, I'm sure most would be happy to accept your game without the need of shoving it down one's throat!  Beer!
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 12:40:08 PM »

From my understanding getting blogs to review your game isn't a big deal, as long as it's creative and fun. Otherwise, I'm sure most would be happy to accept your game without the need of shoving it down one's throat!  Beer!

Oh, you'd be surprised, it's pretty hard for even really great indie games to get reviewed.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 01:14:24 PM »

Hell, indie blogs lurve clones. Lookit The Underside and the eighty Crayon Physics-likes. (is crayon physics the original? I forgot)

I was very frustrated when a couple of people were watching the CPD trailer in school, and one says "Hey, that's Magic Crayon!".

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 01:57:46 PM »

If you make a good enough game(to save the president) I don't think you'll have to worry about it being spread over the net. A good start might be to post it here and maybe an editor will find it and front page it. Then you are world famous and will have to write autographs on your way to the supermarket. Many people read the TIG front page Wink
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2008, 06:15:17 PM »

If you make a good enough game(to save the president) I don't think you'll have to worry about it being spread over the net. A good start might be to post it here and maybe an editor will find it and front page it. Then you are world famous and will have to write autographs on your way to the supermarket. Many people read the TIG front page Wink

Heh. You're a funny guy.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2008, 06:51:05 PM »

I think the "just make a good game and marketing will take care of itself" position is only really promoted by people who have never created (finished) games, because it doesn't work like that very often. Do you think we all know about Braid because it's a good game? No, we know about it because Jon Blow promoted the heck out of it, spending massive amounts of time promoting it.

TheBlackMask
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 08:07:30 PM »

No, we know about it because Jon Blow promoted the heck out of it, spending massive amounts of time promoting it.

This is true, but Braid was pretty much unheard of before winning big at the IGF in 2006.  Having a good game is not the only factor, but definitely the biggest, I think.  If your game is good, it makes it that much easier to get people to play it when it does come time to market it.

In the world of AAA games, it's possible to simply market the hell out of a crap game and have it sell...Take Kane & Lynch for example.  But in the indie world, where almost no one buys a game without playing the demo first, game quality is the bottom line.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 09:15:30 PM »

It was kind of unheard of even after that, though -- I think the constant previews, interviews, and game design talks Blow did had more to do with its popularity than the IGF prize (although that helped). And the reason it was unheard of before the IGF was because it didn't exist before the IGF; my impression is that the version that won the IGF was that version that just had a few levels with the time mechanic and some clip art as placeholder graphics.

Indie games tend to have similar conversion rates, 0.5%-1.5% of people who download a demo will buy it (higher quality games are on the upper end of that, lower quality games on the lower end), so getting people to try it out is more important than quality a lot of the time. A game with hundreds of thousands of downloads of the demo will sell better than a higher quality game with fewer downloads, even if a slightly smaller percent of those that download a game buy it.

So I still definitely think that marketing is more important than quality, just as much for indie games as for multi-million dollar games. Besides, mainstream PC games have demos as well, so the demo effect applies to both, I didn't buy Portal until I'd played the demo first.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 09:21:20 PM »

As an aside, there's a list of what you're requesting here:

http://indiedevguide.com/wiki/index.php/Game_Review_Sites

Although it's not much more complete than the ones mentioned, I thought it'd be good to link to it.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic