Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69372 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 05:53:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDandy (Now on Steam!)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Dandy (Now on Steam!)  (Read 7187 times)
Buzzwerd
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 07, 2014, 04:07:12 PM »

And of course some gifs, hopefully don't slow the page down too much.

Hey guys, brand new to the forum. I always see cool stuff coming out of here, but it never occurred to me to participate. I wasn't really sure how to get started, but according to Dom2D, I should just jump in with a Devlog.

I'm Kevin Barrios, 1/3 of Wefiends. I handle most things Game Design and Art-wise for our games, so most of the stuff I post will be about those two things.

Dandy is our latest project. It's sort of a schmup, but i'll post some screenshots to do the talking for now while I write up a more thought out post. Smiley
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 05:12:36 PM by Buzzwerd » Logged

Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 05:34:46 PM »

Those clouds... Epileptic Hand Money Right

JosephElliott
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 09:57:36 PM »

Looks good so far! Bring over those tumblr posts for sure. I'd like to see more.

Buzzwerd
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 05:45:03 PM »

Looks good so far! Bring over those tumblr posts for sure. I'd like to see more.

Thanks! Then, here's a big block of text for you guys about Dandy. I wrote this to help myself begin to briefly describe the game to other people.

I would love to hear how you guys would describe your game in one sentence, along with your devlog.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 08:55:08 PM by Buzzwerd » Logged

corupted
Level 0

Doodlin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 06:42:15 PM »

I loved the first one you made! Art is looking great, excited to see how it turns out (:

Hey, I draw doodles for bideo games.Check Out My Games: Corupted Games
Buzzwerd
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 07:04:39 PM »

I loved the first one you made! Art is looking great, excited to see how it turns out (:

Oh god, sometimes I forget this is a remake. This is 1,000,000x more interesting than the original. Glad you like the art Smiley Thanks!

Speaking of which, here's something I wrote about remaking something.

Here's a link to the shitty old flash game, I made when I was 15 on Newgrounds.

Here's a screenshot of the where Dandy's adventure starts. The blog post explains how the background has a lot of importance (not narrative).

*Edit to get rid of big text blocks*
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 09:03:43 PM by Buzzwerd » Logged

Buzzwerd
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 09:35:59 PM »

Yay, compressed gif! You can shoot dudes and they shoot you too. Also... parallax :O

Tried messing with the size of the gif but that didn't really help.

Links for higher fps/non compressed videos.
http://gfycat.com/CapitalBriefDove#
http://gfycat.com/ChillyFeistyAsianwaterbuffalo#
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 02:40:08 AM by Buzzwerd » Logged

Buzzwerd
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 05:21:14 AM »

Lots of progress this week. The intro stage is close to done, with mostly polishing left. All our tools are ready too, so from here on I think it's mostly content creation and filling in gaps in the game design.

I usually leave branding stuff till we're about to wrap up, but I've been doing it on my off time and it's probably good to get as much input on that stuff as the game itself.

I'm pretty happy with icons. The title screen logos are just style guides for now though. I'm pretty bad with typography, so i'm handing it off to our musician who happens to also be a graphic designer.

mostlyharmless
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 07:14:20 PM »

I'm Nick, the programmer on this project. Here are some fly-by's of the desert Buzzwerd just got done.

We'll have some video to post soon, once we polish up the intro level.
Buzzwerd
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 06:34:39 AM »

Getting close to the point where we can start implementing enemies. Going from written design to actual gameplay can be kind of scary. Here are some of the simpler enemy drawings, I hope they end up working in practice.

Buzzwerd
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 10:14:58 AM »

Working on some early menu designs but I felt like sharing some "ingredient" drawings. These are basically the power-ups in the the game. When you get them, they turn into candy which give you new abilities. The reason for the transformation is that the candy they turn into is picked from a small pool linked to the ingredient. These all combine as you get more and all the abilities stack.

Buzzwerd
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 04:23:45 PM »

Hey guys. Thinking of starting a Kickstarter to be able to keep working on our game full-time. Just wondering if anyone's got any suggestions or tips from personal experience. The entire marketing side of gaming is overwhelming to me, could use any tips.

Buzzwerd
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 02:04:47 PM »

Wrote a new blog post about designing enemies, and I'll probably start updating more frequently with enemy design drawings.

ashtonmorris
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 06:43:28 PM »

Great vector art Wink

Ashton Morris - Composer & Sound Designer

Roah * Bomblsinger * Goliath * Wings of Vi * Lemma * Bit Heroes * Star Command Galaxies

http://www.ashtonmorris.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ashtonmorris
Buzzwerd
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 01:13:41 PM »

Great vector art Wink

Thanks man!

This is one the simplest designs, i'm not entirely happy with his shield. I can't seem to get anything close to a good quality gif, so I'll just post links to small snippets of gameplay since it's way more fun to see it in motion.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 10:41:34 AM by Buzzwerd » Logged

Buzzwerd
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2014, 10:45:35 AM »

This one's called the Bullet Fatty. I think it was the first enemy design I did.

Buzzwerd
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2014, 08:05:54 PM »

I posted this guy earlier but now he works in game. :D

The image is a link.

Buzzwerd
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2014, 08:07:42 PM »

Really happy with how our death sequence ended up.

The image is a link.

jeffrobot
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2014, 09:02:14 PM »

I love the animation when your bullet hits an enemy bullet, and when the enemy dies.

What's the platform?
mostlyharmless
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2014, 02:35:56 PM »

Right now we've got builds for Win/Mac and iOS/Android. It builds on Linux but we still have to get the sound working. We're using cocos2d-x with FMOD.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic