Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 05:17:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWritingGames that parody or pay tribute to other games?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Games that parody or pay tribute to other games?  (Read 2536 times)
PogueSquadron
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: March 10, 2014, 06:13:22 AM »

Can anyone think of an example of a game, indie or not, that pokes fun at or pays tribute to many tropes and concepts in games of yesteryear? I'm not thinking in a "3D Dot Game Heroes" way (where the game is just a blatant parody/homage to a game like Zelda or Dragon Quest), but more in a "Wreck It Ralph" way, where one world is kind of a facsimile or Mario, another world is a facsimile of Final Fantasy, another world pays tribute to Metroid, etc.

Sorry if this is the wrong board for this, but I was thinking specifically from a writing/conceptual level. I was curious in a game (if it exists) that kind of uses the writing and story to poke fun at various tropes we've seen in games over the years.
Runefrog
Level 0

Hear me roar~

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 02:45:07 PM »

I would love to play a game that is basically Community, but off the top of my head I can't think of entire games that are parodies of pop cultural games.

I know in Assassin's Creed 2 Ezio's uncle says, "Its-a me, Mario."

That's the best I've got unfortunately; a 1-liner.
Sved
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 05:45:01 PM »

Deathspank is full of these through quests texts and dialogues.

Guacamelee has lots of references to other games, mostly on big posters everywhere in towns.

... but that is mostly psychological. Check my devlog!
Maldoror
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 10:23:29 AM »

Scott Pilgrim is littered with references to old school game such as Mega Man, Mario, and Double Dragon.

South Park Stick of Truth makes many self-aware references to gameplay tropes and cliches such as audio logs, turned based combat, overly expository villain monologues, ridiculous final bosses, and the over-abundance of Nazi Zombies as enemies in modern day games.

One of the boss fights in Charlie Murder had a reference to Dracula's "What is man?" lines at the beginning of Symphony of the Night.

That's all I've got for now.
The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 07:50:19 AM »

The Stanley Parable.

It parodies gaming in general.

gmz1023
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 11:49:59 PM »

Not exactly what you mean--but the game pyst comes to mind.
dragonslumber
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 02:31:07 PM »

I agree with Guacamelee. Evoland wasn't a great game, but it did exactly that, pointing out RPG tropes and such from NES/GB titles, through the Playstation era into modern 3d games. I think the tropes were more interesting than the game on that one.

Arelite Core, coming to a PC near you (hopefully yours) in 2015, www.arelitecore.com
mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 02:38:58 PM »

The Simpsons Game

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
CursedSmilodon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 06:38:41 AM »

You have to make it subtle enough that people won't just flat out know exactly what the reference is. The especially good ones are usually so obscure, that only the most attentive people point them out. Eg. In halo, there are multiple references to one of Bungie's older games, Marathon, however, the references are usually hidden within the level architecture. (though later games shoved it into your face to no end)
valrus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 08:16:17 PM »

In their heyday, adventure games referenced each other a lot, although the only one I can think of to do this for the entire game was Space Quest IV.  Mostly it was other Space Quest games that served as the vignettes, but some of them (like the future sequel "Latex Babes of Estros") were parodies of different games, and there were a lot of throwaway gags about competitors' games.

Nintendo does a lot of self-reference; that's sort of their MO for a lot of their games: we have all these styles and mechanics and tropes in our back catalogue, now how would that work as a level in a racing game?  In a beat-em-up?  In a soccer game?

In Fez there are two worlds that are set inside consoles of yesteryear, but aren't specific games on those consoles.

I have a dozen or tribute levels on the back burner for my current game; they won't be particularly obvious unless you already know the reference.  The biggest barrier is just redoing my current sprites so that I can do palette swaps, so that they don't clash too badly with the "tribute" backgrounds.
vaaasm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 08:46:46 AM »

Retro City Rampage parodies a bunch of classic games. It's full of references of games like megaman, mario, zelda and other classics

Not only videogames but I believe it also references movies, tv shows, and comic books

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 09:18:25 AM »

there are a bunch

Eat Lead and its sequel
I Wanna Be The Guy
Evoland
ROM Check Fail
Life of Pixel
The 9-Volt stages in Warioware too i guess
Alder
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 07:53:00 AM »

In a lot of ways, the WarioWare games. Some mini-games specifically reference Nintendo properties, but the concept in general is vaguely deconstructive of games as a whole/
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic