Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 12:59:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSunset
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Print
Author Topic: Sunset  (Read 48544 times)
Michaël Samyn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: April 27, 2015, 01:22:38 AM »

The last week of working on a session per day has begun. This has been a nice way of completing the game because it immersed us in the spirit of the linear story (working backwards these last few weeks did mess that up a little).

But some elements in the game occur in many sessions, or have a similar work flow. And it's often faster to do many of these in a row that to do one per day. We've been doing some of those tasks on Fridays and in the weekend. But they take quite a bit of time, time that we could have used for actual pick ups.

Tale of Tales now creating Sunset
The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2015, 01:16:26 PM »

I worry. I worry that few people will enjoy Sunset. We've made a lot of concessions and embraced many videogame conventions.

This was something I noticed early on about Sunset. It's more 'gamey' than your other games. But that doesn't have to be a bad or definitive thing. You see it as a concession, but why not as a learning or meeting experience? Walking a different path to learn the path you usually walk is the right one, or just to get a new perspective?
From my end I'm very curious what Sunset will bring!

I also like how this devlog reads more as a diary, than an actual devlog. Was that your intention or more like a 'side-effect'?

Good luck with the development!

Michaël Samyn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: April 27, 2015, 02:32:21 PM »

I just write things that I think about. I guess I think more about diary-like things than whatever an actual devlog is supposed to consist of. Glad to hear you like it. Smiley

I don't think concessions are bad. And I don't think there is any one "right" path. I am very much enjoying Sunset, both the work and the product. But that only has me worried more: if I like it then for sure everybody else will hate it.  Cheesy

Anyway, we try not to think about that too much and focus on making as nice an experience as we can.

Michaël Samyn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: April 30, 2015, 01:16:34 AM »

Today is the last day of our session-per-day production schedule! Forty-four sessions at 4 sessions per week plus an extra week halfway through. Twelve weeks of non-stop crunching. That's three months. I can't believe it was that long. But we made it! And the game is looking great.

There's still a lot of things left to do. Mostly minor and easy to implement. But a sufficient amount of them that it does make me worry about bugs that we haven't discovered yet. And it takes a lot of time to play the game, to find those. Time we often don't feel we have.

I'm looking forward to playing the game, though! We haven't played it from start to finish yet. And I doubt we will have time before launch. Which feels a little weird. Will it work? Will it have the emotional impact we imagined? Will it be fun? Moving? Fingers crossed! There's not much we can do about that now anyway.

So Sunset, as a whole, will be as new for us as for the players on 21 May. So exciting!

The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: April 30, 2015, 07:37:00 AM »

Interesting, whenever I develop a game I always catch myself not playing it enough, but merely testing it constantly. A common pitfall perhaps?

My apologies if you've already explained this, but do you have some kind of story board or playbook with which you planned the course of the game and the different game-days?
Or how do you keep track of everything to make sure the game works as intended?

Michaël Samyn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: April 30, 2015, 07:47:15 AM »

We have a big spreadsheet to keep track of everything. Lucky for us Sunset is a linear game, so the spreadsheet is simply arranged according to time.

Also the structure of the Unity scene is very clear (at least to us). Objects are hierarchically ordered. The bulk of Sunset is a single scene file.  WTF

Joel Draper
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: May 02, 2015, 05:07:40 AM »

Good Luck.

As someone who's lived in Latin America, I'm so excited for this. It may feel like going back (to my metaphorical) home. I'm so excited and I wish you all the best.

Do you know what you're doing about soundtrack? Is it purchasable or with the game or..what?

Joel E.P. Draper

Currently working on a casual mobile game.
Michaël Samyn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: May 02, 2015, 12:16:19 PM »

Thank you.

The Latin American setting if quite imaginary, though. We've only been to a few places. But then again, we were toddlers in 1972 (when the game takes place) as well.

Yes, the soundtrack will be available with or without the game. It will contain Austin Wintory's compositions as well as his collaborations with some of the Kickstarter backers. A very diverse soundtrack!

Michaël Samyn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: May 02, 2015, 12:24:57 PM »

This has probably been the most popular #screenshotsaturday in our entire career on Twitter. Enjoy!

This is a screenshot of Sunset's minimum quality mode. It was created to allow the game to be run on computers without proper graphics processor (ie those pesky integrated things that can only run 3D in theory). By leaving out the shadows and the reflections, the animated character and most of the image effects, we got pretty good performance but the game looked rather bland. So we added a pixellated and slightly posterized effect to that mode. It looks a lot better in our opinion. And as a bonus, it seems to be easier on the stomach of those sensitive to motion sickness in first person.

The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: May 02, 2015, 02:04:00 PM »

Or how limitations breed creativity. Wink

Does it also work well when moving moving around?

Michaël Samyn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: May 03, 2015, 01:14:20 AM »

Yes, it looks great. Especially with the 2.5 D camera.

Joel Draper
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: May 03, 2015, 02:38:52 AM »

I'm tempted to play it in the Min mode, just because it looks cool.

And about the Latin America thing, don't worry - I know that. It just adds to my excitement that it's set in Latin America.

Joel E.P. Draper

Michaël Samyn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: May 03, 2015, 03:13:19 AM »

Play it in whatever mode you like best. We aim to please.

Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 03, 2015, 03:41:54 AM »

I didn't even know Unity could run on a system without a proper graphics card? That's nuts.

Joel Draper
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: May 03, 2015, 05:22:54 AM »

I thought they meant metaphorically, not actually without a graphics card - as some people's graphics cards seem to struggle or the game doesn't recognize it properly so it doesn't work as well as it should.

Joel E.P. Draper

Michaël Samyn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: May 03, 2015, 09:52:02 AM »

It's basically meant for integrated GPUs, like those infamous Intel things.

Joel Draper
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: May 03, 2015, 01:05:25 PM »

Oh yeah, like my Intel 4000 with AMD integrated graphics that works like half the time.  Tongue

Joel E.P. Draper

Michaël Samyn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: May 03, 2015, 10:20:03 PM »

We've been so busy with Sunset that we haven't developed a back-up plan in case the game flops commercially. I think that's the first time in our career. We keep bringing things up that we want to do "when this game is finished" but most of those depend on the game actually being successful. If it isn't, Tale of Tales will probably go bankrupt. Feeling a bit irresponsible now. Have no idea how I'll feed my family if this thing fails.

quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 04, 2015, 01:27:08 AM »

this looks funky, posting to follow.
Michaël Samyn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: May 07, 2015, 10:24:18 PM »

I can drive myself crazy imagining how people will respond to Sunset. Will they like it? Will they find a way to enjoy it? Did we manage to make something accessible or is it still way too "Tale of Tales"? Will it live up to the expectations generated by the initial concept (it's intimidating how much some people like the concept of Sunset)? Why did I think this was going to work in the first place? Et cetera.

So I'm looking for the slightest signs, indicators in what people say to try to deduce what the response of the public will be. Did we do well? Will they get it?

But it's all moot now. Whatever would be wrong with Sunset could not be fixed before the release date anyway. So what matters now, to me, what I need to focus on, is finishing Sunset as the game I want it to be. Make it work for me. Make it please me. So I can be proud of my baby. So that when everyone hates I can still say "I love it! You're all morons!"  Cheesy

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic