Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:45:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDark Dominion
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Dark Dominion  (Read 10050 times)
Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: December 14, 2008, 12:01:03 AM »

Hey guys, I wanted to start a little topic here for the game I'm working on called Dark Dominion. It's a quirky little action platformer; among its influences are classic Castlevania, Devil May Cry and Star Fox 64. An odd combination, I know.

(game looks a lot better in motion, trailer is at the end of the post)

It's not a long game, but not exactly short. You go through a sequence of levels with some branches thrown in; the path you choose will alter the final level you go through. Each level also has some randomized stages, so you probably won't go through the same exact game twice unless you play it too much.

You will fight such evils as a forgetful spider with a monocle, the Flatwoods Monster and a scythe-wielding dragonfly demigod. Also, a guy with a mirror for a head, an emotionally conflicted man-eating plant, a sentient golem who questions whether or not he has a soul, etcetera. You know, the usual.

There's also a lot of dialogue to pad things out. The people who like characterization will have plenty to take in, while people who want nothing but action can easily skip over the cutscenes and codec ESP conversations.

I'm putting a lot of work into the bosses. In addition to each level's main boss, they each also have a miniboss that you may or may not run into.

I'm trying to aim for a January release date (I have two levels and a huge final boss battle left to make). I hope people will be able to siphon some enjoyment out of it.

Here's a trailer on Youtube with kinda horrible quality.
Here's the same trailer on Veoh with much better quality.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 12:05:10 AM by Moth » Logged

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 12:08:08 AM »

This looks awesome, Moth, looking forward to it!

I love these devthreads, we should have a seperate forum for them to keep them organized as well as encourage others to make them.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 12:12:07 AM »

(game looks a lot better in motion, trailer is at the end of the post)
What on earth are you talking about? You had me at the stills! (That's not to discredit the motion, though) But really, this is looking quite nice. I await the release with eager anticipation.

Zaphos
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 12:13:42 AM »

Looks cute!  Good luck Smiley

The branching thing sounds interesting.  Are the branches based on conscious story-related choices or is it skill based (hard vs easy path) or more arbitrary, or ...?
Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 12:22:51 AM »

Thanks guys, I didn't anticipate this kind of enthusiasm Grin

The branching thing sounds interesting.  Are the branches based on conscious story-related choices or is it skill based (hard vs easy path) or more arbitrary, or ...?
You are free to choose between which level you go to at the branches. I've tried to keep the difficulty between each branch level balanced, so a person who thinks path A is cooler won't be hosed compared to someone going down path B.

Difficulty is still variable, though- there is a normal difficulty mode available, accompanied by an easier one for the less hardcore players, ala Viewtiful Joe.

LastDinosaur
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 02:53:12 AM »

I am in on this sorta.

Can't wait to see it finished.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 05:08:10 AM »

Looks good Grin I think the music might be a little too noisy... Really like the character design. You seem to have a good story going on there!
The-Imp
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 06:23:39 AM »

It reminds of this one Gameboy game... I'll fetch a picture later...

But this is look really good!
 Grin
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 09:54:04 AM »

so good. so. good.

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
Border
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 12:03:13 PM »

impressing...
i wanna play it NOW

Available for Freelance
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 01:17:24 PM »

you're waaaaaay to humble.
seriously, this looks AWESOME.

KniteBlargh
Level 4

Blargh...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 02:19:44 PM »

This game is going to claim a lot of fame.

Originally I was going to say that this game's going to claim a lot of my time, but I had to say something stupid instead.

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 03:19:16 PM »

WOW cannot wait, the art work and animations look amazing! Can't wait to play.  Great job on the trailer as well.

SpaceBrance
Level 1

The one with White Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 05:49:22 PM »

Looks Viewtiful(You should watch what games you bring up, or you fill my head with lame ways to say something's amazing! :D)

But yeah, my brother came up to me, and say "Hey, I know what game you should LP next. (I just kindof do it on Youtube, I'm no one special)." So I decided to check it out.

Brilliant game, I cannot wait until this is finished. The day will be amazing!!
 Gentleman
Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 11:09:33 PM »

Thanks everyone for the inspiring words Smiley I'm glad to know people are looking forward to the game. Here's another batch of screenshots:

Sorry, they're kinda filler (same levels as the first screenshots); I was hoping to get a boss gameplay video up today, but I just couldn't record from the stereo mix. Neither of my computers' soundcards support that, unfortunately. Sad

I'm gonna stop by Radioshack tomorrow to see if I can get a 3.5mm male to male cord, then I could just directly record the audio from the speaker. Hopefully starting tomorrow I'll have some interesting videos to add to the thread.

Quote from: The-Imp
It reminds of this one Gameboy game... I'll fetch a picture later...
Yeah, I tried to do the graphics sorta Gameboy Color style. The way Zelda: Oracle of Ages / Seasons looked kind of stuck with me, and I wanted to eventually do a game with limited color sprites... so the game ended up looking like this.

Quote from: JLJac
Looks good  Grin I think the music might be a little too noisy
Sorry about that, I always have volume on video sites low so I didn't consider that I might destroy some peoples eardrums :p

WhiteEyes: Awesome, it'd be pretty sweet to see an LP of my game Grin Watched some parts of your Cave Story LP, by the way. I probably laughed way more than I should have at the

part.

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2008, 11:37:26 PM »

This looks really fleshed out, Moth! That's a lot of bosses and areas and plot work.

This is yet another neat upcoming game to keep on my radar.
SpaceBrance
Level 1

The one with White Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2008, 11:48:38 PM »

WhiteEyes: Awesome, it'd be pretty sweet to see an LP of my game Grin Watched some parts of your Cave Story LP, by the way. I probably laughed way more than I should have at the

part.

If you laughed at all at my video, then you're laughing too much my friend.
 Gentleman
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2008, 10:30:16 AM »

Needs more barrel rolls.

No, but seriously, I liked what I saw in that trailer. I don't think that your characters translate all that well to huge dimensions, but they look good when they're small.

siiseli
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2008, 01:28:12 PM »

Looking nifty, love the art.
soundofsatellites
Level 2

no way baby, let's go!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2008, 02:26:01 PM »

Shocked OMFshsaghghagfhsdjkshgakgkaghkG !!!! Shocked

veoh it's no longer available in argentina!

the trailer in youtube looks great though. The gameplay seems varied, can't wait to try it!

and the glitter is gone
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic