Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 03:07:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingTurn-based action platformer with ninjas. Also grappling hook.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Turn-based action platformer with ninjas. Also grappling hook.  (Read 18533 times)
8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2014, 04:41:49 PM »

space also sends me up/down the stairs and makes me kill people if im close enough, and I didn't know that button skips turns...

whats the timing on deflecting? since its always available on the ground, I assume I have to use it at the right time. I thought it would when a bullet is currently colliding with me during the pause, but that doesn't seem to work. I guess I have to do it a bit early? Can't really tell.

also, sometimes it stays in that turn-based mode even when no one is looking at me. I'm not sure which way it is supposed to go, because sometimes I can just walk up on a dude and sometimes I cant.
teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 05:26:31 PM »

I know I'm asking for a lot but a screenshot with a game freezing up in the combat state when it should end, would be nice:D

When you press the blue button you go into defence stance and will deflect the first bullet that would normally kill you.

What about the bullet speed? Should they be slower or faster?

That thing with space activating buttons should not be there, sorry:D

Thanks for the feedback:D
mickmaus
Level 1

walkying waylking

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 11:53:42 AM »

any way you can do a compile for mac? I'd love to test this out
-that one jerk with a mac

teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 12:34:44 PM »

Why do you need to be such a hipster? Why don't you use a normal computer?
8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2014, 06:33:56 PM »

It didn't take long to get into this state:

So out of the three guys, this last one on the left was not facing me. I fought and killed the first two in maybe two turns, but I did not exit the combat state even though the last guy is not looking at me.

I noticed this is how it tends to happen, I go into turn based combat with a couple guys, but don't exit it until everyone on the floor is killed, even if other guys are not aware of me.

It doesn't happen if no one on the floor ever notices me; time is only paused when I'm about to kill someone, and then it goes back to real time like normal, even if there are other people on the floor.

Anyway, I played this for like 4, maybe 5 hours yesterday. I got used to the timing for the deflection as well as the bullet speed. It was interesting, because at first I thought if I were to spend any amount of time in a red line on my next turn that I would die. After like an hour, I realized that the lines only trace a real bullets path through the world. Changed everything. I was suddenly taking a lot more risks, doing a lot more maneuvers other then jump-roll-jump-roll, and deflecting bullets properly. I truly enjoy trying to calculate the paths of several bullets coming from different directions and distances over the course of my past and future turns so I can pick the exact right direction to jump or swing in, or to just wait a sec because the bullet wont hit me so it'll be clear to jump at him next turn... gah. Well I'm probably going to go play for another hour or so now that I'm thinking about it.

But also, sometimes if I'm zoomed out a bit, it won't register me clicking on various buttons. Same for when I come out of the stairs and land on a dude. Weird. The distance is about as zoomed out as I am in the above screenshot.

Oh, and continuing that spacebar-activating-buttons thing, i can walk up on dudes and tap the spacebar to shoot at them when i get within range, without pausing time.

Aaaand when I zoom out, sometimes the red lines and/or bullets will disappear until I zoom back in. I assume this is just a resolution thing. But I like playing zoomed out because it's hard to keep track of everyone from that pulled in view.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 06:44:17 PM by 8Points » Logged
jamescam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2014, 08:22:45 PM »

Nice start to a game with lots of potential!  Some feedback I have wont be new but here it is...

- Grappling hook is hard to control
- Tutorial will come in handy
- Not sure when my turn is over (did I miss something?)
- Game controls are hit or miss

I dont think the art is all that bad but if you can team up with a decent artist it may give you broader appeal.  Keep it up!

Gut Shot Games<br />
www.twitter.com/gutshotgames
mickmaus
Level 1

walkying waylking

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2014, 08:51:29 PM »

Why do you need to be such a hipster? Why don't you use a normal computer?
because daddy never hugged me Sad(((

8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2014, 10:36:31 PM »

I just played for like another hour or so and I'm stopping because the best thing: I flung myself hard off the roof, grappled onto a ledge mid jump, flung myself through a window into a dude, rolled and jumped through two more, grappled myself into the farthest guy and killed him just as the first guy was getting up. deflected first guy's first shot into the second guy who was just standing up, deflected his second shot into the third guy who was just standing up, and then deflected his third shot back at him, clearing the floor.

Sorry to shit post, but I gushed so hard I had to post about it. So ninja...
teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2014, 03:29:43 AM »

Thanks for extensive testing:D When you are in combat enemies see you even if they are facing the other way, I will think this through one more time if its too confusing.

There are still a lot of bugs and thanks for reporting them. I'm slowly working on a tutorial level and a mission with real objectives so stay tuned!
teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2014, 12:34:09 PM »

I added a new test build with bunch of features and bugfixes. If you encounter a bug please press F1 and then make a screenshot. Thank you:D
VRNinja
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2014, 06:01:57 PM »

At first booting up the game it took a bit before I understood exactly how to kill my enemies, after falling off the right side of the building the game froze at this screen, no matter where I moved my mouse and what arrow keys I pressed it remained frozen: . After booting up the new test build and dying twice, the third time when spawning and attempting to move the character became stuck in a crouching position Also when attempting to immediately use the jump function upon entering the level, I froze again

After playing around with the grappling hook for a while, I really wanted to be able to swing around without touching the ground, I eventually discovered that pressing the up arrow key could retract the line, I didn't know this until I discovered it because I never saw instructions saying it could happen.

I mostly enjoyed the controls except for when your character would be falling beside a building and unable to aim towards the building to grapple onto it, doing so would be incredibly satisfying. Maybe adding the ability to die from falling would make hooking onto the building at the last second more exciting and rewarding.

Overall the game was pretty great  Smiley , once the bugs are taken care of and the controls are polished I think it will be a great experience.
teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2014, 10:40:11 AM »

Another update. If you look closely you will see some upcoming objectives I'm working on.

I need help with basic mission structure.

My thought process so far:

1. Assassinate the target.
2. Retrieve his keycard/hand/eye/some other key and use it to access a locked room/computer etc.
3. Escape.

How can I make this mission more interesting? How player can soften up guards? Destroy a generator so lights go off? What kind of choices and planning player has to do? I need fresh ideas! :D

joe_eyemobi
Level 3

Fledgling Indie Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2014, 03:20:24 AM »

Looking good!  Love the retro looks  Beer!

8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2014, 11:52:38 AM »

Loving this update. Machine guns are a nice introduction - I like that I can't rely on deflecting bullets if they're on me. I would like to see more enemy types that are "immune" to certain abilities rather than ones that are immune to everything but one ability like most action games. Also, I like that shooting now takes longer so I can't just quick draw on someone who's too close.

I like how stealth matters more now, what with the elevators and doors getting turned off if someone spots you. When this gets more of a mission structure, I'd like to see it reward stealth in similar ways.

Anyway, I got a couple glitches. The first time I played, I couldn't knock people over or die. It never happened again. Also, I went to open a door at the same time as an enemy and got this error message:
teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2014, 01:26:02 PM »

I restricted the ability to stun enemies - now, if you bump into an enemy while in air you will fall down and stun only this one guy... Just trying to balance things out. I plan on adding an upgrade system through which you will be able to overcome some of these limitations. Some examples:

- silenced pistol (you already have it in the prototype)
- adamantium sword for bullet deflecting (you already have it in the prototype)
- ability to kill people instead of stunning them OR ability to stun more than one guy in a turn
- grappling hook can stun enemies
- hang bodies under the ceiling so others don't see it (not sure what to do with the blood though:D)

If you got any ideas for upgrades please share:D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 01:38:55 PM by teedoubleu » Logged
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2014, 02:23:30 PM »

Another update. If you look closely you will see some upcoming objectives I'm working on.

I need help with basic mission structure.

My thought process so far:

1. Assassinate the target.
2. Retrieve his keycard/hand/eye/some other key and use it to access a locked room/computer etc.
3. Escape.

How can I make this mission more interesting? How player can soften up guards? Destroy a generator so lights go off? What kind of choices and planning player has to do? I need fresh ideas! :D
I definitely like the option of shutting the power off. Then you could have enemies use flashlights, and you would have to maneuver around the beams to remain hidden.

How about security measures? So maybe not every guard will try to shoot you if you're spotted. Some will head for the alarm, which would bring blast shutters down over the windows, and maybe activate defensive laser grids. Disabling the alarm before hand or killing the enemy who activates the alarm would be your ways to deal with this.

Vents and elevators would allow for more stealth options and ways to approach rooms. Would be cool to kill a target through an elevator roof

I also wish there were more options besides movement, dodge, attack. Like non-offensive gear like stun grenades, noisemakers, etc.

Or special moves that depend on your state during a turn. Like let's say you're running towards an enemy during your turn, you could perform a slide that evades their laser sight and stuns them. Or if you're in the air, you can perform a grapple dodge that pulls you straight down to the ground. These moves wouldn't be available if you were standing still or on a wall. So this would make the player plan more how they want to approach a group of enemies.

As for upgrade ideas:
- Spiked grip - lets you to stick to ceilings
- Disarm hook upgrade - use hook to pull gun away from enemy
- Scorpion hook - like Mortal Kombat's Scorpion, lets you perform a long range kill with your hook (might fit better than the pistol)
- Cloaking - remain invisible for X amount of turns
- Decoy ability - a hologram decoy that distracts enemy attention

Oh, and on a side note, I originally felt this game was too much like Gunpoint, but it's really come into its own with these updates, love the direction you're taking. I'm curious, do you plan for this game to be a paid release or freeware game?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 02:43:20 PM by Christian » Logged

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2014, 03:58:05 PM »

Thanks for seeing that this isn't a Gunpoint ripoff, I guess:/

I definitely want to make this a commercial product and not only for the PC, but also Android and iOS.

Your ideas are great, but what mainly limits me right now is the control scheme that would be compatible with a tablet - you can see that functionality in the form of those buttons everywhere. I want to avoid adding any more buttons as the screen will become too much cluttered.

For example, for player character skills I have only one button slot (under the floor, where "defend" button now is located). Another button anywhere near the player character could easily overlap with an enemy or another button.

While "defend" button shows only if the character is on the ground I imagine I can add a skill that is triggered while the character is in air - I was thinking about a smoke bomb ability, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around this.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2014, 04:37:24 PM »

Oh, I hope that didn't come across as negative, that wasn't the intent. I meant that in a good way. Personally, I remember my first reaction was kind of like Gunpoint with Ninjas, due to the pixel style, crashing through windows, jumping into enemies to stun them. But with all the additions and improvements, the game has really developed into something with a unique style all its own and so much potential for expanding the mechanics. I can't think of any other turn based stealth action game like this, expect for Klei's Invisible Inc. Swinging through a window, shooting one guy, lunging at another, deflecting a bullet, striking down the last guy, is so satisfying

A few more ideas:
- I think enemies should run when they come to investigate a broken window, or dead body. Right now they just leisurely walk over
- What do you think about the ability to pause anytime while out of combat? There have been times where I want to jump off a roof and hook onto the wall while falling but it's hard to do. Being able to pause when you want would be useful
- I think limited pistol ammo would improve the gameplay, make it more of a tactical decision to choose between killing a guy from afar or getting up close
- As for gear and controls, maybe have the deflect/defend be tied to gear? So then you could have special abilities linked with certain equipment. This would allow for the player to customize their playstyle (different gear means a different ability)
- I think that idea you have an ability when you're in the air kind of fits into what I was suggesting. Defending is available when you're still. A slide attack would be available if you're running. A ground hook would only be available if you're in the air. Something like that.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 05:16:23 PM by Christian » Logged

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2014, 05:01:34 PM »

Gunpoint was sure a great inspiration, but only in matters of interface and graphical design. 

I like the gear idea a lot:D

You can already ground-hook yourself under a certain rope length. Still working on rope mechanics.

Not sure how to aproach sliding because right now you can't run while in combat - you can only jump and I don't see a way around the control scheme to overcome this.

You can pause the game at any point by swiping (mouse drag). When I play, the scenario you are describing goes like this: I jump from a roof ledge, and immediately swipe, time stops and I carefully aim my hook and proceede with an epic swing through a window. No need for an additional way to stop time. What I need to do is make it more obvious.

teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2014, 12:46:26 PM »

Alright, I added a bunch of sexy stuff:

- distract ability
- weapons use ammo and you can swap them now with dead enemies
- new bullet deflect ability balance
- you can move on ceiling now

Still not much in matters of level gameplay:/ Feedback about the AI and the distract ability would be much appreciated:D

If you encounter a bug please press F1 (it gives you god mode too) and post a screenshot. Thank you.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic