Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:58:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingTurn-based action platformer with ninjas. Also grappling hook.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Turn-based action platformer with ninjas. Also grappling hook.  (Read 18433 times)
Orz
Level 1

"When nothing is done, nothing is left undone."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2014, 04:03:33 AM »

Turn-based games aren't really my thing, but I'm really jealous of the grappling hook.  Care to share how you did it?  Any code samples I can steal? Smiley
teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2014, 04:55:11 AM »

Sure, this is the main "rope physics" function:

Code:
distance_to_owner = point_distance(x, y, owner.x, owner.y);
direction_to_owner = point_direction(x, y, owner.x, owner.y);

if distance_to_owner > length
    {
    if owner.physics == "air"
        {                
        owner.x = x+lengthdir_x(length, direction_to_owner);
        owner.y = y+lengthdir_y(length, direction_to_owner);                      

var swing_strength = (point_distance(owner.x, owner.y, owner.xprevious, owner.yprevious)-sqrt(2))*abs(cos(owner.direction-180-point_direction(owner.x, owner.y, x, y)));
        var swing_direction = direction_to_owner-180;

with(owner)
            {
            motion_add(swing_direction, swing_strength);
            }
        }
        else
            {
            instance_destroy();
            }
    }
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2014, 07:13:21 AM »

The distract ability feels a bit off, mainly with how the AI responds. I'm outside the building on the ledge next to the door. Use the distract ability towards the edge of the ledge so the enemy will come out and I can drop behind him. But enemies won't leave the building and go to the spot where I activated the distract ability; they stop at the door and look for a bit and then turn back

Also seems a bit limiting that you can only use distract at the spot directly below you

Personally I think that the player should only be able to get ammo from dead guards, not swap guns. 1) It's a stealth game and you die in one hit so standing there and firing doesn't seem like the best approach and 2) regular guns alert everyone, why would I use them?

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2014, 07:44:08 AM »

If he opened the door, peeked outside and went back I think its fine:D Why would you expect him to wander of into the outside if the sound he heard was just outside the door?

Its an action game as much as its a stealth game. Picking guns with different stats instead of just replenishing ammo is always fun and let's me balance things a little more - if you use all your ammo for the silenced pistol you will have to rely on using the loud pistols guards carry or if you feel like a murder then you can pick the smg and wreck havoc.

Different weapons will play more of a role when I introduce new enemies - cyber samurai, guards with armor augments and walking tanks (tachikoma style):D

How would you improve the distract ability?
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2014, 07:49:58 AM »

If he opened the door, peeked outside and went back I think its fine:D Why would you expect him to wander of into the outside if the sound he heard was just outside the door?

Its an action game as much as its a stealth game. Picking guns with different stats instead of just replenishing ammo is always fun and let's me balance things a little more - if you use all your ammo for the silenced pistol you will have to rely on using the loud pistols guards carry or if you feel like a murder then you can pick the smg and wreck havoc.

Different weapons will play more of a role when I introduce new enemies - cyber samurai, guards with armor augments and walking tanks (tachikoma style):D

How would you improve the distract ability?
It wasn't just outside the door though, I had activated it further away so I'd have space to get behind him. idk, I guess I'm used to other stealth games where guards go to the exact spot where you throw a bottle
---
Cool, wasn't sure if you were going for more of an action pace. Swapping should fit well with that then

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2014, 08:41:56 AM »

I really hate to say this, but I think some of the magic is lost.

My main complaint is only being able to knock guys over when I jump on them. I get a weird bug whenever I start a jump too close to someone where I will be put in the air for frame and then automatically "land" on the guy, magnetizing me to the ground so I can't escape whatever it was I was jumping away from. Anytime my jump crosses with a guy I am automatically pulled into that "pounce" state when I don't want to be. In my opinion, the flow of the game is utterly ruined by this behavior. It used to be about avoiding bullets and knocking over dudes to buy time to actually kill one, rolling and jumping and swinging all over the place. Now it seems I only have a real chance if I lure dudes out one by one or take pot shots with my gun. I've yet to clear the floor with 5 guys. That floor in previous iterations was my bread and butter, it's what I would always go into because it isn't satisfying to kill just one guy at a time in this game. If you're worried that knocking over dudes makes it too easy, I was only successful in clearing out that floor maybe 1 in every 10 or 15 tries. It was just a lot of fun.

Also, when I try to use my grapple hook mid jump to swing from a ceiling I instead fly up to and grab hold of the ceiling. This may be intentional, but I wish there was a way for me to control when I would swing from the hook and when I would zip up it, or at least a way to know when one or the other would happen.

I've yet to pick up that machine gun, and I want to so bad. I'm unable to last 5 turns on that floor though. Even when I swing through the window, I usually wind up landing on someone who kills my momentum.

I do like being able walk normally during the turn based mode. I also really like that enemies have a timer for when they will sound the alarm. And the distraction mechanic is a neat addition, a way to set up ambushes and the like. I'd still really like to have a way to move the camera around, as zooming out makes things too small for it to be effective.

I'm not quite sure what you changed about bullet deflection, but I haven't bee able to land any in this update, except for one which sent me rolling in the opposite direction, which I thought was a nice touch. It seems bullets either pass right through me or straight up blow me away. I guess there's just different timing to it now?

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure what direction you're trying to take this game in, but what was fun for me about it is no longer there.  Cry
teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2014, 08:54:35 AM »

Please don't cry! Nothing is set in stone and this thread is for feedback like yours so I can change things around:D

Please give me more of this kind of feedback - its super valuable to me.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 11:14:18 AM by teedoubleu » Logged
8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2014, 09:12:42 AM »

Haha, thanks for being a cool guy. I'll have my friends try the update later and see what they think (they were really into the original build)
teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2014, 07:44:30 AM »

I made a new tutorial level. Now you can actually get your hands on a SMG and its quite handy:D
teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2014, 04:25:17 AM »

Major update! Test it please:

http://teedoubleu.itch.io/ronin
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2014, 07:45:35 AM »

Major update! Test it please:

http://teedoubleu.itch.io/ronin
Nice, you added the ground hook and light switches and terminals! RMB to look around works great (was that in the game before, don't recall)

I like the visual style when the lights go out, silhouetted with the red blood contrasting.

Noticed something. I killed the guards before the lockdown occured, and was able to make my way down to the terminal. The lockdown countdown was still happening, and I used the terminal to see what would happen. Anyway, once the lockdown started, I couldn't use the terminal again.

One thing: could you add checkpoints or quick saves (for the tutorials at least)? I'm doing the 01 level and every time you get killed, you need to start from the beginning of the tutorial again

teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2014, 08:17:20 AM »

Adding a checkpoint system is a whole feature and it will be added, but just not now.

The basic idea is that at the beginning of every turn a save is made so you can go back to it if you die. At first, you go back one turn, but if you die again before reaching the next "checkpoint" (next turn) you go back two turns (or more) and after dying a bunch of times you lose all your progress and have to restart the mission.

This is just an idea and its flawed, but I would like to hear your take on the checkpoint system. 

Thanks for noticing the bug with the terminal - that is some quality QA there:D
TriStarch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2014, 01:08:15 PM »

This is really cool.

I finally beat both of the levels.  On the second one, are you supposed to send the elevator down and then grapple over to the other building?  That's how I ended up beating it, just avoiding the whole room of guards.  I never had to get to the security terminal.

The combat is pretty interesting, though it's pretty simple when it's just one guard.  All you have to do is jump so that you roll behind the guard when you land and then attack.  Multi guard combat on the other hand is pretty crazy, which is good for a stealth game.

Here's the bugs I ran into:

• You can climb down out of a window that still has glass.
  • I got into a combat situation where I was on the wall above the glass ceilinged guard room, unable to make any moves.
  • Grappling onto walls doesn't work well.  He usually bumps into the wall and falls off trying to get up.

Fun little game!  Smiley
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2014, 06:38:24 PM »

How is development going?

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2014, 08:09:42 PM »

I haven't played long, but this is a really cool game. I only had a few issues.

-I never managed to jump on someone. Every time, I just landed on the ground near them.
-The dotted-line trajectory doesn't always point where I'll go because it's too easy to get caught on walls.
-I found myself wishing I had optional keyboard controls for things like using stairs and attacking.

Bugs:

-I jumped over a hole onto a ledge and fell through it (At the beginning of the second level).
-Walking against a wall stops the animation as it should but doesn't stop the footstep sounds.
-I went to jump at an enemy after landing and my jump arc was too low. I couldn't jump upward, only aim toward the ground or fire the grappling hook at the ceiling. It seems to happen to me every time when I get near the blue suit guy on the second level.

I like it so far and will probably play it some more.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 08:39:23 PM by Quicksand-S » Logged

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
CoderGamesStrikesBack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2014, 01:13:21 PM »

I also think it's a cool game, for everyone who love gore, blood and violence. I don't, since I get overexcited on the smell of blood and get extreme epinephrine rush (ex. adrenaline) that feels like something between a panic attack and wanting to take a dump (pardon my French). But if I ignore that for a moment, the game is awesome and love the graphic style as it is. It's obviously a prototype, a work in progress gameplay-wise.
teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2014, 01:34:52 PM »

I just uploaded a new build with ton of features. Check out level 3 in which you have some new skills and are up againts new enemies. As always, please test and report any bugs:D
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2014, 04:44:04 PM »

Gunpoint is one of my favorite games of all time, so I can't wait to play this when I get home from work  Grin

teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2014, 07:28:48 AM »

Its time for great reveal! Here are some early concepts of how we imagine the game:

CoderGamesStrikesBack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2014, 07:33:06 AM »

That looks much better, but still, the original graphics are not bad either.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic