Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411278 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:57:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingTurn-based action platformer with ninjas. Also grappling hook.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Turn-based action platformer with ninjas. Also grappling hook.  (Read 18435 times)
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2014, 07:27:45 AM »

Oh, I really like the concept. Definitely a cool unique style

And like the above poster, I like the current pixel art as well

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2014, 04:41:32 PM »

New update hnnnnnnggggggg

Will dl, play, and get back to you soon.

First of all, I fucking love this game.

You definitely fixed the pouncing thing, and I agree that rolling through dudes shouldn't knock em over.

I love that your ranged attack is a) throwing your fucking sword and b)means you can't melee until you pick it up again. I didn't pick up on that dynamic at first because the character sprite still shows you with a sword, bur I think it's a fantastic choice, really clever solution to the ammo thing.

The new enemies are awesome. Both the blue dudes and that other ninja really freaked me out the first time they attacked me. I did figure out that if I break the glass at the top of the level, making all the npcs move around, the ninja would always end up resting with his back to the stairs, letting me walk up behind him without a fight every time. :T

Also, the elevator on the left of the bottom floor (3rd level) - I tried a couple times riding the elevator down there and would get stuck, needing to quit out of the game entirely. By get stuck I mean that it would go into instant lockdown as soon as i got down there because the security camera, so I couldn't go back up the elevator or open the door to the right because its lock is on the other side.

I gotta say, I do miss picking up smgs. And deflecting bullets. But stringing up dudes is fucking hardcore. The way the sprite mirrors horizontally occasionally to simulate twisting.. really gross but I like it a lot. Reminds me of Mark of the Ninja.

I went on a spree of stringing dudes up after I first discovered my ability to do so. It ended with this bug:

I really like the structure of that third level. I like the structure of the other ones two, specifically the end of level 2 with turning the lights off and everything. It's just that they are still somewhat tutorial-y. Understandably. It's a good sign that level 3, presumably a regular level (meaning not a tutorial), is my favorite because that's probably what most of the full game will be like, right? I will say, moments like turning the lights off should either be a full part of the games systems, like that one game with a pointy gun, or just as a unique moment, rarely used if more than once. The way all the sprites turn to silhouettes is such a simple difference yet its very atmospheric. Well done.

I miss the blood sprays as well. It was nice feedback for killing a dude. Tongue

As for the new art you've shown - I didn't even know you were going to change the art. I really dug the long pixel style, but I guess people comparing it to that-one-game-I-can't-quite-remember-the-name-of was too much, I mean one of the hints makes specific reference! It's cute, which isn't what I was expecting for a game where you can string dudes up and watch them twist in the wind. Not that that is a bad thing - the contrast could make it funny, like a Happy Tree Friends cartoon. Even without blood and guts, the art style wouldn't hamper the fun of it. I mean, Mini Ninjas was actually a pretty good game you guys.

Anyway, sorry I wrote a whole fuckin essay, but I really like your game.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 07:21:45 PM by 8Points » Logged
teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2014, 06:45:33 AM »

Thanks for your feedback! I really appreciate it:D

I just uploaded a new version. We are now trying to finish a demo and the new version is the three levels that will get into the demo. Sadly, level 3 you liked so much didn't make it as many other features present in the OLD build... but I might just add to the feature list the rope strangling you liked so much.

I just implemented dynamic lights with shadows (you can sort of see them used for the cameras in the new build) so the light/shadow gameplay will resemble more Mark Of The Ninja than that other game we do not speak of:D

Deflecting will be in the game - if you get hit you will deflect the bullet automatically, but still lose health. Also, there is a combo and score system in the new build and if you do a 3 kill combo you restore one health... though in the build you only have one health so you die anyway:D
8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2014, 07:47:29 AM »

That elevator music is awesome.

I wish elevators would stop moving when everything else is paused.

I find throwing your sword to be fairly pointless. Since you have to spend an entire turn picking it up and do not move, it leaves you completely vulnerable. There is no point in throwing your sword unless there are no other threats, in which case it is pointless to throw because one single dude is never a threat - you can just jump and roll over to him without worrying. Any time I threw my sword during an encounter I would either die trying to pick it back up - even when I was trying to time it with the guards reloading, since there seems to always be at least one ready to shoot you and that's all it takes. I even tried using the decoy ability to distract them but it never lasted long enough to get to my sword and pick it up.

Maybe I'm not using it right - is it just supposed to be a last-line-of defense kind of thing? Am I supposed to use it for ending combos exclusively? I see the fun in throwing the sword to take out a guy when you have no movement options, and then trying to make your way to it without getting hit, but since I got guys on me there's no way to follow that up with something cool - the only option is to run and hope the guards will turn their backs long enough for you to sneak in and retrieve your sword.

Moments that mechanic felt nice include landing on one dude while throwing my sword at another, rolling, picking up the sword, and killing the other dude as he's getting back up. That feels nice, but it doesn't make a big difference to how I play the game - I could have, instead of throwing the sword and picking it up, just stabbed the guy with sword in hand in the same number of turns. I'm not sure what the solution is, but I feel like there should be situations where throwing your sword is the 'best' option, not just 'an' option.

Still, loving this game.
teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2014, 09:02:13 AM »

I will experiment some more. Maybe you should pick up the sword when you touch it without the need for separate action?
8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2014, 10:09:18 AM »

Hey if you implement it, I'll test it :D
teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2014, 06:07:00 PM »

And its done:D The third level wasn't very interesting so I changed it a lot. Samurai is a lot tougher now and I implemented a brand new mechanic: hacking doors and terminals now requires from you to spend money (on hacking tools).

I'm trying to make it so that if you want, you can finish the level just by killing everyone without any regards for stealth, but if you want to achieve maximum score/money - which later can be used to purchase upgrades - you have to be carefull not to raise an alarm.

Any ideas how can I reinforce this dynamic further?
8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2014, 10:07:16 AM »

I definitely prefer picking up the sword on contact than as an action, and the hologram thing too. It makes me want to be able to catch the sword in mid air as it falls to the ground. There's not many opportunities in these new levels for that to happen though...

Gotta say I'm not the biggest fan of the third level in this update. It's just not as exciting as previous iterations. That top room with the samurai is fun, and I really like how you updated him. I usually hit him in corners so his ability to leap away from you doesn't get used as much as it could. I actually didn't know that's what he was doing until I started recording videos of myself playing :p

Speaking of which, here are some videos I recorded:

This one starts off as just me dicking around, but around the 2 minute mark I hit a bug the freezes the entire game. I had to quit out and then use the task manager to end the processes of the game.

This one shows me executing a series of events that lead to not being able to exit the level without hitting the  escape key. Basically, if I take the elevator up and then get lockdown on the wrong side of one of two doors then I can't leave the building.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y5By4HP9rA&list=UUtc8hUbDtaTdSjhhS272nVQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIU23F9e5R0&list=UUtc8hUbDtaTdSjhhS272nVQ
The next two are just different styles of playthroughs. The first one is stealthy and the next one is me just killin dudes. I wish I had a microphone so you could hear me freaking out when the samurai jumped away from me in the second video. Like I said, that was the first time I had seen him do that. He had not died when I tried to hit him in a corner before, but I just assumed he was armored or something.

As for hacking tools and stuff, I noticed that I'd get negative scores very easily. It doesn't feel right to have a negative score, and I'd say that rather than taking away from your score for getting spotted or raising alarms should be replaced by bonuses for completing levels with minimal kills and/or not raising alarms and/or not using hacking tools and the like. It's just a matter of framing it, but I don't want to feel punished for using a mechanics that is handed to me, but rather rewarded for not relying on it.

Anyway please make more levels. Thank you.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 05:28:44 PM by 8Points » Logged
teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2014, 11:04:59 AM »

Thanks! I will change most of the stuff you are mentioning so again, thanks for your input:D

I wish I could watch those videos, but you forgot to post them:/   
8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2014, 05:29:02 PM »

lol I a dumb... posted the links
teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2014, 07:04:15 AM »

Seeing someone else play your game is priceless for a designer. Thanks for all the work you did. When the game comes out you can count on getting a Steam key:D
8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2014, 11:31:35 AM »

Wooo! Can't wait! Also I was already screwing around with video capture software and I was going to be playing your game anyway, so I figured why not.  :3
teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2014, 01:25:10 PM »

I fixed most of the stuff, at least I think so. I also added new lighting system and reintroduced particles. Level 03 is much different now and has a little suprise at the end Evil
Azocan
Level 0

If I am you but you are not me, who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2014, 03:13:13 PM »

Hello I hope you don't mind that I did a impression video about your game. Great game by the way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3TaG0dOGX4&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 06:19:09 PM by Azocan » Logged

I have no idea.
Hey come check me out on YouTube! I do indie games!
https://www.youtube.com/AzocanLP/
Submit a game here! http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=42718.0
Twitter https://twitter.com/AzocanLP
teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2014, 10:31:27 AM »

I'm slowly finishing up the demo. Please test the new version in fullscreen. Any feedback about the general flow will be appreciated:D
teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2014, 11:28:16 AM »

Added checkpoints - possibly the most buggy thing in gamedev:D
Azocan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2014, 08:40:30 AM »

There was a weird bug at 16:28 in the video I made. It was pretty strange and funny at the same time.

I have no idea.
teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2014, 08:51:35 AM »

Fixed! Thanks for making the video:D
Azocan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2014, 01:09:43 PM »

No problem! It was my pleasure playing the game! I really hope that the full game comes out!

I have no idea.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2014, 03:49:14 AM »

Dude, you must be loving all the exposure you're getting. Congrats!
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/08/13/freeware-garden-ronin/#more-226709
Tom Francis Let's Play - http://www.pentadact.com/2014-08-12-its-time-i-did-something-about-this-gunpoint-ripoff/

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic