Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:10:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingTurn-based action platformer with ninjas. Also grappling hook.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: Turn-based action platformer with ninjas. Also grappling hook.  (Read 18437 times)
teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2014, 01:06:25 PM »

Yeah, this is very nice indeed, but I got only few thousand downloads from that little marketing blitz:/

Anyway, I'm still doing the "programmers art" thing and I was wondering what would you say about this promotional poster I'm preparing for a gamedev conference where I'll be showcasing Ronin:

8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2014, 03:08:45 PM »

Reminds me of an Akira poster. Pretty sweet.

I've been meaning to make a poster ever since I got into it. Pure black, silhouette of Ronin in mid jump, a dozen red lines criss-crossing all around him, with "make your move" in that pause font at the top. I guess swapping "make your move" with "RONIN" would work as well, or rather putting it at the bottom and leaving the reference line at the top. I could try making it in MS Paint, and I think I will lol...
teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2014, 03:12:31 PM »

That is actually a very good idea for a Ronin poster. Do it! I want to see it:D
teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2014, 02:44:56 PM »

A bunch of new stuff from the incoming graphical overhaul:

teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2014, 04:09:09 PM »

I probably won't be updating this thread anymore. To follow development of Ronin and to find out who will be publishing:D my game follow this account on twitter: https://twitter.com/RoninGame
teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2015, 06:38:19 AM »

Here are some keys for ALPHA TESTERS.

You have to opt for "test" branch to play the full game.

Any feedback and bug reports welcome.

1.TVEWM-IQLCJ-HC9MJ
2.682B6-0BGIK-AM2YY
3.55A5M-2YGA8-CHVN6
4.QD404-N85N4-3ZCJ5
5.ZA5GV-8AV0H-G7XD0
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2015, 11:18:14 AM »

Here are some keys for ALPHA TESTERS.

You have to opt for "test" branch to play the full game.

Any feedback and bug reports welcome.

I'll check out the current version. Do you still want bug reports here, or emailed to you somewhere, or what?

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2015, 11:19:31 AM »

You can post here or send me a PM if its something... personal:D Thanks
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2015, 11:25:51 AM »

Well, I can't get it to run, which seems a bit strange. I get an "APPCRASH" error popup every time. Validated the files with Steam and made sure I was using the "test" version.  

There very old version worked perfectly and my computer exceeds the listed requirements on Steam. Any ideas?

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2015, 12:01:55 PM »

Ok. I sent you an email about how I got it working. For anyone who's curious, "Run as an Administrator" is what worked. Not a huge fan of that, but I guess it's ok for now.

-I really like the art.

-I really like the music.

-The game feels a lot smoother to play than I remember. Moving around the levels feels really good.

-The image on the title screen shows up just fine (contrary to what I thought when I wrote the email). Only after it appears does it get covered by a strange, white rectangle.

-I climbed up the building just after the "Don't set off any alarms" message, killed the rooftop guard after jumping down to him, and then seemed to lose my ability to jump. I couldn't drop through the glass, so I went down the elevator and found that I still couldn't jump at the enemy, or even jump forward at all.

-If I start a jump and then decide I don't want to, I can make the visible arc disappear by aiming at my character's feet...but that makes my character get stuck. Can't move until I actually jump.

-When I died and reloaded the checkpoint, all I could see was the HUD on a black screen, but I could hear the background sounds and could still move my character even though I couldn't see anything. Going back to the menu and starting a new game didn't solve this issue.

-Switching to windowed mode, wondering if that would cause it to maybe reload things, crashed my game instantly.

-This is just personal preference, but it feels strange that my mouse is for aiming the beginning of my jumping arc rather than a "cursor further away makes me jump farther" sort of setup.

teedoubleu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 12, 2015, 12:12:17 PM »

After hearing about all those bugs I'm like sdikfgsiaehdfsadgbfiusgadf right now.

Is it just me being really naive or expecting for a game made in something like GM to behave the same way on different PCs is too much?

Anyway, aiming jump works the way it does because it has too be consistent with gamepad controls. You can cancel the jump projection by pressing RMB - you don't have to jump.

Thanks a lot!
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: April 12, 2015, 01:13:43 PM »

After hearing about all those bugs I'm like sdikfgsiaehdfsadgbfiusgadf right now.

Is it just me being really naive or expecting for a game made in something like GM to behave the same way on different PCs is too much?

I was the same way when I showed my brother my current project, which had seemed to work perfectly for me, and he found all sorts of pretty major bugs. Just gotta try to stay motivated despite the issues and push on. Anyway, I didn't find THAT many bugs in Ronin, so it's not too bad.

Wish I could help, but I have no idea what could be causing the title-screen bug, and I'd probably have to see the code for the other stuff.

Anyway, aiming jump works the way it does because it has too be consistent with gamepad controls.

Is there maybe a slight chance you'll add an option for the mouse to act the opposite way?

...Sorry to say this, but the game isn't starting anymore. Nothing I did before is having any effect. Maybe something weird is going on with my PC. I'll work on it some more and see if I can sort it out. It seems I have some Windows updates to download, so maybe that'll help.

I'm also curious: How long does it take for the game to load on your computer? For me, it's about 15 seconds before anything at all pops up, which seems like a pretty long time to go without seeing any evidence that the game has even started.

Update:

I installed all my Windows updates and still no luck. Not sure why it worked once but not any other time. I was reading earlier that there used to be a problem with exporting on Windows 8. Games exported from Win 8 didn't work properly on earlier versions of Windows. No idea if they've fixed that or not, but I thought I'd mention it just in case it applies here.

Another thought: Any idea how much data it's trying to put into VRAM? Are you prepping tons of surfaces at the start or something?

Also, where are settings saved? It crashed when I switched to windowed mode, so I'm wondering if maybe it keeps trying to boot in windowed mode and that's why it worked before and doesn't anymore.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 08:23:28 PM by Quicksand-S » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic