Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:15:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessDigital distribution/download partners
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Digital distribution/download partners  (Read 2033 times)
Rudolf Kremers
Level 1

Grow!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 14, 2008, 02:45:53 AM »

I have been trying to find information on digital download sites that are useful for indies to partner up with. There are so many now: Steam, Impulse, Direct2drive, Manifesto games, and many others. I was hoping we can pool informatyion in this thread on all aspects of these sties and their usefulness/potential/appeal etc.
Which ones are good or bad? And why? What factors determine their usefulness depending on the game?

We can all use info for example on

• The royalty split
  • Min/max downloads gained form the site
  • Technical requirements
  • IP restrictions
  • Advertising appeal
  • Turnoffs
  • Typical market they address
  • Platform issues

Or whatever else we can find out. We could pool the info in this thread and update whenever we get more accurate info. What say ye?

« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 01:45:38 PM by Borsato » Logged

Jeff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 01:31:22 PM »

Basically, my theory is that you want to get on every site possible.  There is no reason not to have a reputable company distribute your game.

The only company I can really talk about is Steam.  They are the only one who has returned our email and accepted Overgrowth so far. Most of the other sites flat out don't respond to email or return calls.  Embarrassed.  Anyone who works with Steam has to sign an NDA, so you will probably not hear too much juicy details about royalties and stuff.

Anyone have tips for contacting Direct2drive, Impulse, etc.?

Rudolf Kremers
Level 1

Grow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 01:02:22 AM »

Oh congrats on the steam deal! Well done :-D

Sim9
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 01:16:47 PM »

Anyone who works with Steam has to sign an NDA, so you will probably not hear too much juicy details about royalties and stuff.  Anyone have tips for contacting Direct2drive, Impulse, etc.?

This is true for almost all distribution sites, not just Steam -- you almost always have to sign an NDA before those questions are answered.  But it pays to contact them as the more you're on, the more exposure you have (and therefore sales).  There's some crossover between the sites, but a lot of consumers go to just one outlet.  Plus, though it's the hard way to learn it, working with multiple distributors will give you these answers and make you more savvy in this field.  In my experience most are very easy to work with Smiley

Anyone have tips for contacting Direct2drive, Impulse, etc.?

Direct2Drive - http://www.direct2drive.com/staticpage.aspx?topic=publisher_contact
Impulse - http://www.stardock.com/about/contactus.asp
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 10:44:16 PM »

There's this thread here on a similar topic: http://forums.indiegamer.com/showthread.php?t=2720

Although those are geared more toward casual games, still might be useful.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic