Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:53:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRotrix
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Rotrix  (Read 20639 times)
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2007, 06:33:10 AM »

Perhaps something like a cubist vectorman.

YES.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2007, 04:25:26 PM »

I don't think you're trying to explore the basic 'concentric circles' design of your game as much as you could. Why think in terms of "what should the character be" or "what should be the enemies, hazards, etc"? Think of it in the sense of taking advantage of the design elements you have so far, which are really interesting. I love the idea of the circular levels. They're very trippy.

You could ask yourself "What can I add to this game to take full advantage of its style and design?" Sure, you can add enemies, collectables, stuff like that. But if they're exactly like those in Mario or similar games, then your game will be just like those, only with levels that look trippy (there are plenty of games out there that call themselves 'innovative', but once you get rid of all the presentation flair, you see the game is exactly like so many before it). You could come up with game mechanics that don't even deal with enemies or collectables in the traditional sense, if you brainstormed enough.

Add to your game elements thought up around your core design and you could come up with something very unique and enjoyable, and people wouldn't be thinking "Mario does the same thing, only better." Basically, try to make your game in a way that makes people not be able to imagine it if it didn't have those circular concentric levels, or whatever other crazy thing you come up with.

Of course, it's up to you. That's just what I'd do.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2007, 09:57:29 PM »

I don't think you're trying to explore the basic 'concentric circles' design of your game as much as you could. Why think in terms of "what should the character be" or "what should be the enemies, hazards, etc"? Think of it in the sense of taking advantage of the design elements you have so far, which are really interesting. I love the idea of the circular levels. They're very trippy.

You could ask yourself "What can I add to this game to take full advantage of its style and design?" Sure, you can add enemies, collectables, stuff like that. But if they're exactly like those in Mario or similar games, then your game will be just like those, only with levels that look trippy (there are plenty of games out there that call themselves 'innovative', but once you get rid of all the presentation flair, you see the game is exactly like so many before it). You could come up with game mechanics that don't even deal with enemies or collectables in the traditional sense, if you brainstormed enough.

Add to your game elements thought up around your core design and you could come up with something very unique and enjoyable, and people wouldn't be thinking "Mario does the same thing, only better." Basically, try to make your game in a way that makes people not be able to imagine it if it didn't have those circular concentric levels, or whatever other crazy thing you come up with.

Of course, it's up to you. That's just what I'd do.

Yeah I agree, you could take the insane-abstract art deco theme and maybe make a virtual representation of what was going on inside the Mad Hatter's head at the tea party in Alice in Wonderland.....I think you should definitely run with the abstract/cubist/puzzle angle.....that would rule!

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2007, 07:34:04 AM »

What about having each cylindrical level split up into sections, each of which can be rotated? You could have to solve mazes or puzzles by rotating the "drums" into different configurations.

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2007, 08:30:08 AM »

What about having each cylindrical level split up into sections, each of which can be rotated? You could have to solve mazes or puzzles by rotating the "drums" into different configurations.

thats a great idea.
you could close gaps, open others to have water flow to some place, get a crate closer to a pressure switch or something like that.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2007, 08:34:41 AM »

thats a great idea.
you could close gaps, open others to have water flow to some place, get a crate closer to a pressure switch or something like that.

That would be great! Or you could have it where you could have the different "drums" have corresponding "mini" traps within the rooms that have to be unlocked in order to unlock the ability to rotate more parts of the level...

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2007, 11:48:16 AM »

Maybe make the game in a way that prizes exploration of its large world of concentric circles and the puzzles they offer.

Also, does anybody else keep thinking of Samus' morph ball in the Metroid Prime games when thinking about this concept?

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2007, 10:49:48 PM »

I also really like this idea.  I'm thinking of exploring gameplay with platforms that you can push around to stop moving spike balls, arrange in patterns, and also platforms with jump switches like in super mario 3 that allow you to shift directions of moving platforms, so you can align them in formation to open doors, avoid obstacles, etc.

Here's a couple more screenshots showing off the new dynamic smoothed shadows:

http://doomlaser.com/images/factory2.png
http://doomlaser.com/images/smoothshadows3.png

« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 11:06:31 PM by Golds » Logged

@doomlaser, mark johns
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2007, 09:35:21 AM »

I also really like this idea.  I'm thinking of exploring gameplay with platforms that you can push around to stop moving spike balls, arrange in patterns, and also platforms with jump switches like in super mario 3 that allow you to shift directions of moving platforms, so you can align them in formation to open doors, avoid obstacles, etc.

Awesome Smiley I really think that this idea would work excellently with this game....it'll be interesting what you come up with...

ptoing
Pixelhead
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2007, 10:16:53 AM »

If i was you I would totally ditch the textures and go for something like in the first 3 screenshots with a bit nicer backgrounds. I am thinking REZ here.

I would make EVERYTHING really abstract even the player. This does not need any demons or rats imo. I like games that are as far removed from reality as possible and this premise lends itself rather well I have to say.

Of course it's up to you and I would play it anyway. Hope this comes out cool.

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2007, 10:58:54 AM »

just make it SPACE BARNACLE 3D: SPACE TUBES.

actually, this is something i want to make someday.

create this "IP" and start off with a c64 style game, then a NES game, then a PlayStation game, and end with whatever the current tech is like.
i wanna create this IP and fake, or "force" its evolution.
as if all these games were made back then, but never released, and suddenyl discovered.

see how the very basic mechanics of the earliest version survived the transition to 3d or not.

that'd be cool.

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2007, 03:10:46 AM »

Heh, so I was looking over some traffic logs, and I noticed some traffic sources hotlinking through myspace and youtube. 

It turns out, some greek guy is using one of the first rotrix prototype screenshots as a tiling background for his youtube channel. So is a teenaged girl from Bluefield, West Virginia... for her myspace profile.

Anyway, i thought it was pretty funny.  The screen must show up for some bizarre google images query.

fish, the thought has crossed my mind to use barnacle characters in Rotrix.  So has Barnacle Kart.  I doubt I'll really pursue either idea though Smiley.

@doomlaser, mark johns
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2007, 03:42:56 AM »

How about uploading a gameplay video of Rotrix on YouTube? Smiley

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2007, 11:07:54 AM »

They're using it as backgrounds simply because those are very interesting images in a design sense. Which is why it'd be awesome if you stuck to that aesthetic, if you'd like.

Grindie
Pixelhead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2007, 10:08:30 PM »

Looks friggin' excellent. This is the sort've thing I'd love to see on XBLA.

WWW.ZOMBIESAURUSGAMES.COM
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2008, 04:37:32 AM »

I hadn't noticed this. Looks really lovely! Like Tempest but with a platforming mechanic.

I definitely agree with hao that you have to do something with the unique topology of the game to make it more than just a "curved platformer". Off the top of my head, I'm not sure what that is right now, but it probably has to be something to do with rotating sections of level.

Quick question... if you were to add a gun of some kind to this, and you shot it left or right, would it rotate around the curved space and hit you in the back of the head? That sort of idea might be worth some thought for some interesting portal-esque puzzles.

I'm doing a lot of curved parametric geometry myself right now, so I feel like your brother or something :D

ZeppMan217
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2008, 06:39:47 AM »

Looks great! Hope to see it soon  Grin
Oh! And i have 1 question:
Who is main character of your game? Cyborg-rat? or you still not sure?  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 06:42:31 AM by ZeppMan217 » Logged

City 217 citizen.
"We do what we must because we can"
Corpus
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2008, 11:20:11 AM »

I agree with ptoing: I can't help but think that a Rez-esque aesthetic would be suited to this game.

The idea of rotating drums sounds cool, too.

You could have certain sections that rotate at a constant speed before the player starts rotating them, making map navigation (hopefully) more interesting, differentiated and challenging.

Enemies could act as negative modifiers to the game world. For example, one type of enemy could cause fake tiles to pop into existence, forcing the player to pay attention to where they appear, which ones are real etc. There could also be enemies that cause strange feedback effects, like distorting the world or turning it into a pulsing, electric-looking field over which the world tiles can basically be seen by some sort of distortion effect (think Space Giraffe, but not as extreme, because it's so dividing, or the cloaking visual technique in Halo 3, but more easy to discern).

You could also have levels that rhythmically/regularly explode (i.e. the cylinder size increases but the tile size does not, so they move outwards from the center and also away from each other) and re-contract.

Dunno if your game engine would allow for any of my suggestions other than the fake tiles thang, but... jah.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic