Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 12:17:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOX - Mafia Voodoo
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: OX - Mafia Voodoo  (Read 3944 times)
Pol
Level 1

yee

View Profile WWW
« on: March 21, 2014, 02:41:53 AM »

OX is a 2D side scrolling beat’em all created by the Mafia Voodoo team (Romane Govin, Thomas Verdier, Lucas Maupin & myself), currently in developement. We are making this game for the 2013-2014 edition of the Imagine Cup contest.
In OX, the player embodies a young shaman willing to enter the etheral world to save it from an entity named OX, who tries to possess it. To make her way through the mysterious city and defeat OX, she will have to use her magical ability : teleportation.

The Imagine Cup contest is a rather corporate thing held by Microsoft, but this is actually more of a pretext and a motivation for us. Our first major deadline is three weeks from now, and we need to have a working prototype that features all our mechanics by then.
The character's moving and teleportation system is implemented as well as the base of our fighting system, but the enemy's AI is still very WIP. We also need to start iterating on the level design.

We are jamming on the game this very week-end, we'll keep this topic updated ! Our focus for the jam will be to set the shaman's movement and fighting systems for good, and start working on the level design. We will also try to have a working opponent and will probably show some music :>

In the meantime, you can see more on our devblog : mafiavoodoo.tumblr.com

« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 12:02:59 PM by Pol » Logged

}-=\\\',«º> Dev+artblog · Home on the web · @PolClarissou <º».\\\'=-{
dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 02:52:26 AM »

I love how the environment looks, very nice, vibrant colors Kiss

good luck, looks interesting!
claudiovc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 03:11:27 AM »

Looks really cool, nice the color palette =] Reminds me of "Flashback"...don't know why
Pol
Level 1

yee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 03:21:46 AM »

Haha yes claudiovc, you are not the first person to say that :D
I guess it's because of the rather detailed environment with mixed urban and jungle-ish elements.

Pol
Level 1

yee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 10:59:44 AM »

Interface update !
Fancier stuff to come :>

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 11:27:06 AM »

Very vibrant and stylized, I really like the look. Teleport mechanic looks fun

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Pol
Level 1

yee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 03:48:31 PM »

You can listen to a first bit of our soundtrack on the devblog!

http://mafiavoodoo.tumblr.com/post/80520786289/first-listen-of-our-soundtrack

« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 03:56:09 PM by Pol » Logged

mickmaus
Level 1

walkying waylking

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 06:20:29 PM »

I like the subtle lighting around the player, just highlighting the ground and edge a little.

Pol
Level 1

yee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 12:29:24 PM »

Heyyyyy there we haven't posted any update in a while, but we actually did quite a lot of stuff these last days (weeks). Everyhting is not visible yet and there's still stuff to do but we almost have everything we need for an actual working proof-of-concept-prototype

Recent updates include checkpoints, walls that don't let you teleport through, health pickups, fancier teleportation FXs, a chillier idle, and some other stuff that's less interesting to see.

The french finale of the contest is in 4 days, which means that WE ARE FREAKING OUT we are working hard and will have even more stuff to show by the end of the week... And a playable demo :D

Flex
Level 0

2D and 3D artist, Game dev when possible <3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 12:34:47 PM »

so smooth \( °3°)/

All the latest stuff is @FlexRoman
Pol
Level 1

yee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 01:06:26 PM »

Oh, and I forgot about the air hits !

They'd need some polish but this is not our prioriy right now, so here they are.

Pol
Level 1

yee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 11:46:18 PM »

The french finale of the contest is today, stay tuned! We'll also have some screns from our demo level to show in the near future, as soon as we find some time to take some caps :D

Pol
Level 1

yee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 12:01:24 PM »

So what's up ?

The finale took place yesterday and OX won the third place on the podium, leaving the second to Khöömii and the first place to Anarcute - and since the devs of both games are friends of ours we actually really are happy for them :D

So now what happens to OX ? Well we are gonna pause de development for a few week first because school work, but then we'll come back to it and polish a bit the proof-of-concept-1-level-demo we made for the finale and show it around. Sadly, I don't think we'll find the time nor the motivation to make it an actual game - we did a big part of the work but we'd still need a lot more content to turn it into something with a progression and, even if nothing is set yet, I don't think this is gonna happen. No full game and no amazing boss fight, but a great experience for us and beautiful stuff to show around!

In any case, we'll show stuff from the current prototype as soon as we find some time to take screenshots :>

Pol
Level 1

yee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 03:56:55 AM »

New screens on the devblog !

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic