Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 07:19:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBulkhead - Arcade Action Roguelite
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Bulkhead - Arcade Action Roguelite  (Read 6709 times)
Flatgub
Level 0

My existence is questionable at best

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2015, 01:05:23 AM »

OOoh So this is what "Corridors of Uncertainty" became!
I'm so glad this is still being worked on! I had so much fun with CoU!

FrankForce
Level 2

This tepid water is tasteless.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2015, 07:29:13 PM »

I took a break from Bulkead to make a Ludum Dare 33 game over the weekend and just wrote up a postmortem.

The Monster I Am - Postmortem, download, video, etc.

The Monster I Am - Ludum Dare Entry Page

More bulkhead updates coming soon!

FrankForce
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2015, 09:01:56 PM »

Pretty big update today! I spent a while polishing up 2 player co-op and versus mode and many other things. I could really use some people to play test the multiplayer and send feedback my way. There is still more work to do but things are starting to come together. Here is a list of some of the biggest updates...

- improved 2 player co-op and versus and versus gameplay
- made vs level 2x3 instead of 3x3 so the camera can remain stationary
- in co-op if either player dies the remaining player can continue to playing and the other will be revived at the next level
- tweak and re-balance procedural map generation and difficulty
- 2nd player still can't buy skills but I start them out with assault rifle, med kit and fireball magic
- give invisibility skill to both players in versus mode
- tweak and re-balance many skills
- prevent using teleporter until nearby enemies are killed
- sprint now works more like COD, it does not draw from magic but instead just runs out after a few seconds and quickly recharges

Here's a few examples of the randomly generated 2x3 vs mode levels...

FrankForce
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2016, 05:46:08 PM »

Still making progress on Bulkhead! Been busy with other stuff but I try to make a few changes every week so here's a quick update.

I've had a time slowing mechanic since the very beginning because one of the cool things I wanted to show off with my engine was ability to interpolate time scale. I originally had it work a lot like Superhot, time moves when you do, but players were confused. This was long before Superhot existed actually. Things were much different in my game then, it was more roguelike, there was much more inventory management, and a crafting system for example.  So I decided to disable it and put slowmo a button you could push in (spacebar) that drained magic. This caused another problem because players would forget to use it. Also people would fumble changing weapons so also want to slow time then too. Recently I've been playing around with the time moves when you do thing and I think it feels really fun to play this way so I turned it on for now, let me know what you think!

Also there are many other improvements in the new build. I added grenades that you can hold the button to cook them as a melee weapon. I cleaned up the skills menu, removed some, and rebalanced to basically make most stuff cheaper. Also it's more new player friendly now because you start with some really useful skills.

New updates...
- Time moves when you do
- Grenades - hold to cook, they go boom in 3 seconds
- Re-balanced and improved skill system
- You now start with assault rifle, med kit and fireball as default skills

Plan for the the next few months...
- tutorial area
- unique weapons - some weapons have random bonuses and abilities
- spawn in more enemies over time - push the player forward
- more mission types
- more melee weapons
- more skills
- more magic abilities
- more variety
- better multiplayer
- hardcore mode
- more/better music
- many other improvements and bug fixes

Download Bulkead (latest build)

I could really use some feedback, just post it to this thread if you can, thanks!

Gif of grenade...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 05:55:04 PM by FrankForce » Logged
Flatgub
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2016, 05:42:06 AM »

I like the grenades, they feel impactful and the timing feels right.
The new skill system layout also feels good.
I thing that spawning with a medkit and the AR are good ideas, but the fireball feels too OP to spawn with.
As much as I like that I can use the Time moves only when you move power from the get go, I dont think it should be mandatory. Its fun but it'd be nice if it were able to be disabled.

Flatgub
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2016, 02:41:08 AM »

Alright, I've got some more time on my hands to write a proper response now, and I have more game play under my belt, so I should have more to say.

// Preamble
First off I'd just like to say that I enjoy this game incredibly, I'm constantly finding myself returning to try and reach a higher floor than my last attempt (my current high score is 8 ). And must I say the AI for the enemies is superb, They are quite often equal adversaries, besting me at matches of projectile tennis and causing quite a fluster as I desperately try to stealth my way out of near death situations. They're difficult but feel fair.

// Skills
I like the new skill GUI layout, it feels less clustered than the old interface and groups together relevant skills nicely.

After playing much more I'm beginning to agree on the "Time only moves when you move" skill being the default much more than I did originally, but I still believe that an option to disable it would be nice. It makes the hacking mini-game significantly more difficult in slow motion as the delay between me pressing the selection button, and the "seeker" actually stopping is increased, making it much easier to overshoot, thus I find myself holding reload during the hacking sections so that time proceeds normally.

My point about the fireball skill being too OP to start with still stands, I did end up disabling it because I found it removed a fair amount of difficulty for something I did not have to work towards.

I miss the vanity "skills" in the last build, such as the spawn room becoming an apartment and your energy sword being red instead of blue. Although practically useless, their high prices gave me something to strive for when I had bought all the other skills I wanted.

I'm fairly happy about the tweaked skills, like the pickup radius going from 2x to 3x and stuff like that, but the "Aim Assist" skill is something I think could use much improvement. It sounded exciting at first however once I had purchased it and used it for a while I found it counterproductive to use. I often encountered situations where I'd be aiming directly at an enemy and would open fire to find my bullets curving off to the side towards a drone across the room from me. It consistently disobeys my decision of who the largest threat is, choosing to target a weak enemy who is quite a distance away from my cursor, yet closer to me than targeting the orange RPG wielding grunt I'm actually aiming at. I feel that it could be replaced by a simple accuracy increase stat, or simply just adjusting it to aim-assist towards the enemy closest to the cursor.

I agree with the design decision to split unit detection apart into Moving, Biological and Robotic however as it currently stands there isn't a high enough occurrence and/or diversity of machine-type enemies. Its ability to detect drones and drone makers is matched by the "Moving" enemy scanner meaning that its only "unique" ability is to show the location of trip laser and cameras, both of which are infrequent and small issues. This makes purchasing the "Radio Scanner" skill essentially a waste of money.

Besides that the only other point about skills I have is a recommendation/request for a "Deep pockets" skill, in which the max ammo cap for your weapons is boosted by about 25% to 50%, as I find myself not being able to hold enough ammo and longing for such a skill.

// Grenades
Not really much to say here that I didn't say already. The timing is nice, they feel great to use, the three beeps are a good measurement, its pretty much all great. I do have one recommendation though. I was quite disappointed when I found out that they were held in the melee slot, requiring me to either ditch my crucial energy sword, or leave the grenades behind. This conundrum gave me very few chances to actually use them to their full advantage. I suggest that as grenades are an explosive-type weapon, that they should be held in the RPG slot instead, as unlike all other melee slot weapons, you cannot actually use grenades as a melee weapon. Changing grenades to use the explosive-type slot would create the decision of whether to take ranged but dangerous RPGs or more diverse and useful but shorter ranged grenades.

// Graphical Suggestion
Out of all of my points so far this is the point which is most fueled by personal preference as opposed to general game improvement, and feel free to entirely disregard this if it doesn't meet the intended mood of the game.

During a run I accidentally stumbled upon the console, and after a bit of tampering found that the ambient lighting colour was 1/10th black. Out of curiosity I adjusted this value to complete black and to my surprise the difference was immense. The atmosphere of the game changed entirely, changing what was once simply dimly lit hallways into pitch black corridors, giving my previously useless flashlight a purpose. Spaces which had previously been dimmed by sprawling battles where now unsettling. It gave the environment depth which I had felt it was previously lacking. Being in large dark rooms, the only lights coming from the muzzle flashes of my gun and the soft red glow of the tiles on the ground which until then I had not even realised had glowed. Pictures speak a 1000 words, so I will just give some examples of scenes which were much better experienced when ambientLightColour = (0,0,0,1).

I've tried my best to remove as much of the GUI from these screenshots as I could.

Basic Comparison

Glowing Acid Pools

Ominous Teleporter Glow

Battle-scarred Corridor

// Conclusion
This pretty much sums up all the points I had to say about the game in its current state. I really hope you do continue to develop this as I'd love to see it flourish. Even in its current state I believe if it were being sold for a reasonable price I'd purchase it. Thank you for the countless hours of fun, I hope my feedback is of use to you!  Coffee

FrankForce
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2016, 08:45:12 AM »

Awesome feedback, thank you so much! I will be addressing many of these concerns asap. I responded to some of your the feedback below.

After playing much more I'm beginning to agree on the "Time only moves when you move" skill being the default much more than I did originally, but I still believe that an option to disable it would be nice. It makes the hacking mini-game significantly more difficult in slow motion as the delay between me pressing the selection button, and the "seeker" actually stopping is increased, making it much easier to overshoot, thus I find myself holding reload during the hacking sections so that time proceeds normally.

Ok, I will be make it a skill that you have by default but can disable to open up more skill points. I will investigate the hacking interaction with time slowing, it should probably just not be effected by it.

My point about the fireball skill being too OP to start with still stands, I did end up disabling it because I found it removed a fair amount of difficulty for something I did not have to work towards.

I agree, will probably swap out initial magic with something else. But I also think maybe I can balance the fireball a bit more maybe by increasing it's magic cost.

I miss the vanity "skills" in the last build, such as the spawn room becoming an apartment and your energy sword being red instead of blue. Although practically useless, their high prices gave me something to strive for when I had bought all the other skills I wanted.

They are still there, just disabled for now. Trying to simplify the skill system. Hopefully I can add them back and many more soon after I re-work the skills menu some more

I'm fairly happy about the tweaked skills, like the pickup radius going from 2x to 3x and stuff like that, but the "Aim Assist" skill is something I think could use much improvement. It sounded exciting at first however once I had purchased it and used it for a while I found it counterproductive to use.

I really need to redo the aim assist code. I was just taking a look at it after seeing your feedback and it looks pretty wacky. Not sure what I was thinking when I first wrote it.

I agree with the design decision to split unit detection apart into Moving, Biological and Robotic however as it currently stands there isn't a high enough occurrence and/or diversity of machine-type enemies.

Actually I'm going to merge those 3 sensory skills into one skill just called ESP. The main reason they were split up is because last year when I first implemented skills I wanted to get as many in as possible in. Now I'm want to focus on having less skills that are each more useful and interesting.

Besides that the only other point about skills I have is a recommendation/request for a "Deep pockets" skill, in which the max ammo cap for your weapons is boosted by about 25% to 50%, as I find myself not being able to hold enough ammo and longing for such a skill.

Sounds good. I will probably replace or merge with the fast reload skill which isn't that interesting on it's own.

I suggest that as grenades are an explosive-type weapon, that they should be held in the RPG slot instead, as unlike all other melee slot weapons, you cannot actually use grenades as a melee weapon.

Good idea. I will give it a shot.

During a run I accidentally stumbled upon the console, and after a bit of tampering found that the ambient lighting colour was 1/10th black. Out of curiosity I adjusted this value to complete black and to my surprise the difference was immense. The atmosphere of the game changed entirely, changing what was once simply dimly lit hallways into pitch black corridors, giving my previously useless flashlight a purpose. Spaces which had previously been dimmed by sprawling battles where now unsettling. It gave the environment depth which I had felt it was previously lacking. Being in large dark rooms, the only lights coming from the muzzle flashes of my gun and the soft red glow of the tiles on the ground which until then I had not even realised had glowed. Pictures speak a 1000 words, so I will just give some examples of scenes which were much better experienced when ambientLightColour = (0,0,0,1).

Interesting that you would say that. Most people I've heard have said it was not bright enough, especially when lights get destroyed making areas dark. I will think about it. Maybe you start with a nightvision skill that gives ambient (slightly more then currently) but that can be disabled to open up more skill points.
Flatgub
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2016, 01:12:14 PM »

I'm glad my feedback could be useful!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley

The night vision skill sounds like a great idea too! 

Flatgub
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2016, 08:00:10 PM »

I don't know if you have anywhere specific you want bugs posted, so I'll just put these here.

A rocket will always collide with a door, regardless of how open it is, and if you're standing in an open doorway when you fire a rocket it'll explode instantly as if you had fired it while standing in a wall. I tested this around 10 times or so and its consistently repeatable.

This has only happened to me once but its possible to spawn in the same room as the teleporter.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 08:27:35 PM by Flatgub » Logged

FrankForce
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2016, 08:33:16 PM »

New build is up!

- Fixed the rocket launcher door bug
- Combined 3 sense skills into Clairvoyance
- Reworked Cartographer skill, now expands map range
- Added "Very Warm" as a skill that you have by default
- Rocket launcher has a red flashlight to help warn player
- Small random chance enemies will have a grenade
- You start with invisibility instead of fireball
- Improved hacking responsiveness

Download Bulkead (latest build)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 09:15:58 PM by FrankForce » Logged
Flatgub
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2016, 12:02:56 AM »

Here's some quick feedback:

- Nice to see Cartographer back in a more sensible form, useful and well priced.
 - Clairvoyance skill is effective and useful for its skill point cost.
 - "Very Warm" may be too expensive skill point wise, I haven't played enough with different skill sets with/without it to see if the cost is balanced yet.
 - Rocket launcher flashlight is a nice touch.
 - Invisibility instead of fireball for starting magic is good choice.
 - Hacking responsiveness is nicely improved, however the hacking interface disappears as if time was slow regardless of actual timescale or "Very Warm" being inactive.
 - This may be deliberate, I'm not sure, but holding space for Focus/Bullet time no longer works and this is also regardless of "Very Warm" being active or inactive.

FrankForce
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2016, 03:55:07 PM »

I will be putting the normal time slow back in, but in place of a magic. It will cost 1 skill point. This way if you can use it if you want a less expensive magic, or if you don't like very warm. Also, it is one less button for the player to be confused by. Hopefully this will work ok.
Flatgub
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2016, 05:15:51 PM »

Ahh I see, Like a budget "Very Warm", cheaper to equip but less effective in the long run. I'd say if you do it that way then it'd work well with the current skill point cost of "Very Warm" and it'd be balanced nicely that way. Sounds like a good idea to me! Coffee

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic