Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:44:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsReprisal Universe - Launched!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Reprisal Universe - Launched!!  (Read 24789 times)
electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2014, 06:50:10 AM »

Reprisal Universe Beta R1 now live!

For all Desura users - http://desura.com/games/reprisal, please log into your account and you will find the beta versions available to download. Things to note are that this is just the Campaign Islands, so 30 in total. Looking for feedback on balance / AI and if it works! If you come across a bug, please let me know stating what happened before, what version (Mac or PC) and also a little about your system spec. You can post feedback here on TIG or on the Desura Reprisal forum - http://www.desura.com/games/reprisal/forum, or here or stalk me on Twitter - https://twitter.com/16bitsperpx

Even though this has the 30 existing islands, the way it plays is different from the original with brand new AI (Which I’m keen to get feedback on)

All feedback welcomed and thank you for helping to support Reprisal’s development!
This marks a big milestone, wooot  Smiley

claudiovc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2014, 10:32:56 AM »

That looks great! I really liked the style and effects...Btw, in what language/framework is it being developed?
electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2014, 02:27:55 AM »

Thanks, it's all in Flash / AS3 then pushed into a captivate AIR  Smiley

Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2014, 03:27:49 AM »

Looks fantastic!

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2014, 12:04:15 PM »

Been following for awhile and voted for greenlight. Your stuff is so fantabulous I'l check out the Beta.

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2014, 01:14:31 PM »

Thanks for the kind words :D

Really got the buzz on to finishing this, got some more bits done over last few days based on feedback.

This will be in the next beta release (r2)

Added / Fixed
- Default tool switches to terraform totem to save clicks
- Updated UI on island selection to make it a bit clearer
- New mouse pan mode, hold down ‘space’ and move mouse around to scroll
- New ‘screen capture’, allows you to save a PNG screen without UI / Hud

Screen capture example:

- Bug fixed on merge with one populant left
- Tutorials added to islands 1 and 2 - with a skip button!

Still waiting to finished before releasing r2
- Sort out save slots … simplifying
- Some other stuff I can’t think of at the moment! …

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2014, 08:00:59 AM »

Big day today, a release of the public beta!
If you would like to try out Reprisal Universe Beta please use the following links:

PC users [46.82 MB]:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f301wx8uo8x3tr4/ReprisalUniverse_exe_r0.2.zip

Mac uses [48.38 MB]:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6f3x106b7ofqfe/ReprisaluniverseBeta_r2P.zip

This public beta contains the first 15 islands, the start of the story mode, balanced AI etc. You can help by letting me know if you found it difficult or easy, if there were any bugs you noticed or any kind of feedback welcomed.

Thank you all!  Smiley

« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 08:03:00 AM by electrolyte » Logged

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2014, 05:56:37 AM »

New beta update released! Based on the feedback from the balancing so far, it became apparent that the AI was just like a giant calculator, so I've built in a sort of Morale system. If a CPU is doing well they will get a boost - and likewise if they are not they will start slowly giving up. Also CPU teams will sometimes team up providing a good old battle!

Included in this update are Hero's, which now throw projectiles. This has added a new dynamic which I'm still exploring Smiley

Hopefully this has changed things a lot in terms of play style. You can get hold of the latest version for Mac and PC from here:

http://www.reprisaluniverse.com/beta/

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2014, 02:37:08 AM »

Some updates, been thrashing out a lot of bug fixes by making the game play it's self - which was a revelation. Setting it to playing at 100fps helped to find a bug in a footstep sfx which I would have never have considered.

The Universe part of the game continues to take shape. Originally I had thought of a space with some 500+ islands that could be explored, however I've drastically cut this down to some 170 islands simply because I want to concentrate on the quality rather than quantity. Tweaking the procedural code still takes it some 15 mins to generate and save the entire Universe.

XP points have been added as alters in the game to be collected. These XP points are then used to customise your totem classes and upgrade them.

Above: the universe with your history plotted.

Above: XP alters, with pixel 'anamorphic' light rays  Smiley

Above: Your alter-ego and other players, Thallos, Erebus, Ananke & Tartarus.

Green Gospod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2014, 03:11:51 AM »

This looks sweeeet. Smiley

You need to add more clicking like in Godus though. Make it more like a shitty facebook game. Pointless uninspired money grabbing clicking is good! Curse you Peter Molyneux.
electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2014, 12:42:47 PM »

Smiley

Head down and getting stuck into the server code. Explorer's can discover the planets and lay claim, they will also be able to set time limited beacons alerting other explores of planet finds.

Tying to think of the best way for players to add their name, free text field or random generation? Hmmm

Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2014, 10:45:18 PM »

I played around with your build and mechanically it seems to fit your aesthetic, so I've no comments there. However, I found the camera to be choppy. Personally I'd prefer if the camera could float unhindered. Right now it seems like I'm moving the camera according to the underlying grid, which irked me.

I like the art direction by the way. The mix of pixel graphics with soft gradients is beautiful.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 11:21:23 PM by Greipur » Logged

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2014, 05:20:38 AM »

Just as a heads up, build 00.34.01 (released 26May) does have some AI breaking code, so it may be a little flakey in later islands. You can normally tell if it's going wrong by the CPU waypoint markers wizzing all over the place!!

After that was released I made the game to play it's self, at 100fps, which helped no end to find deep down hidden bugs.

The Mac, for ever alone, playing with itself ...  Smiley

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2014, 08:15:50 AM »

A new progress overview screen of what you've been doing in Reprisal Universe. This is going to be the first screen you get too after the credits. It's all generated from player stats and quite abstract, but there is meaning in the circles :D The screen also use’s the new story mode camp fire effects, so its warm and fuzzy - home.

Spent rest of day tidying code and hunting down a bug that didn't turn out to be a bug at all ... darn it debug mode variables!

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2014, 08:30:40 AM »

I didn't know it was possible but the art just keeps getting better and better!

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2014, 08:31:52 AM »

Finally got all the features finished! WOOP!

Now it's a case of refining, pixelling a lot and test test testing. Been working on the wonder visuals, this is 'Hestia' causing some damage. She will be joined with various other Greek gods and will take shape as these statues.

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2014, 10:35:50 AM »

congrats electrolyte you are kicking so much trash!

ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2014, 01:16:00 PM »

Simply gorgeous graphics overall, again and again.

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2014, 06:41:13 AM »

Thanks for comments!

Worked some more of the wonder powers over the weekend but didn't have much time. I did manage to get this animated gif of Hestia rumbling across the landscape done, leaving a trail of destruction and lava.

I'm going to try and interweave these statues into all the wonder powers.

So what's left to dev? I'm at the stage of just finishing little bit's a bobs throughout the game. The Universe is plugged in and it's a matter of making sure the UX is ok and everything is talking nicely.

It's super close to the end now  Smiley

Caravaggi0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2014, 08:56:58 AM »

Sorry if it's been asked, but is it possible to get an option to have the map take up the whole screen?  Aside from making it more attractive it might just be easier on the usability.

I will say anything that throws back to populous is welcome.  And the color coordination is really nice, there isn't anything that looks like it doesn't belong.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic