Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:53:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMissing Translation [FREE][Best Original Idea - hoPLAY award][Greenlight]
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Missing Translation [FREE][Best Original Idea - hoPLAY award][Greenlight]  (Read 24106 times)
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2014, 10:40:55 AM »

Congrats on the nominations, dudes!

Ludipe
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2014, 12:10:32 PM »

Thanks @Rabbit ! We're still pretty shocked, not knowing how to react. This event is something huge for us.

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2014, 12:38:06 PM »

Tell me about it. I got some pretty excited texts from Tice this morning lol.

Ludipe
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2014, 03:59:52 PM »

"Missing Translation" has been featured on Gamejolt's Fireside, read the preview here.

Ludipe
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2014, 08:38:55 AM »

IMPORTANT NEWS!

"Missing Translation" won the "Best original idea" award at hoPLAY (international indie game festival), it was also nominated for "Best audio" and "Best art". It got the 3rd prize on a "The Big Indie Pitch" event and was featured on "Rock, Paper, Shotgun" and "Pocketgamer". Vote for us on Greenlight now! :D

Ludipe
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2015, 08:11:46 AM »

Hi everyone!

I'm Luis Diaz, one of the guys behind "Missing Translation". Over the last few months we haven't updated our devlog, the greenlight page or made any kind of statement about the game. I even said that it would be ready during Christmas, which clearly didn't happen at all; and that's all on me, as I (among other things) am in charge of production and PR.

So here I am today trying to be as transparent and communicative about the project as possible.

Why haven't you updated your devlog or the greenlight campaign?

I could say it's because personal reasons or the fact that I'm completely overwhelmed, truth is, even if I'm busy, I should get some time to update everything and keep in touch with you.

So... have you finished the game already?

I get asked that question at least twice a day, a huge part of the game is already finished, but we're not done yet.

That's not a date, when is it coming out?

We're just a bunch of people working on our free time, talking about dates is hard and the one time I said a launch day in public I was completely wrong about it. Instead of talking about when it's coming out I'll just explain what our current plans are.

We are going to do a "soft launch" in March, meaning that we'll publish the game on some minor online platform (I can't say which one yet but it won't be Steam or GameJolt); I'm not sure if the game will be 100% complete but it'll have menus, an initial intro, all the maps, the vast majority of puzzles and an ending.

After the soft launch we might need a week or two to finish everything, we still need to prepare our collector's edition(with soundtrack, concept art, etc) and finish our steam paperwork.

"Dead Synchronicity"[www.deadsynchronicity.com] (an awesome spanish game) is coming out on April 10th, and we want to leave, at least, a week between their launch date and ours.

So I'd really like to do the official launch in April, but there's no way to be sure.

Steam paperwork? You already got Greenlighted, what else do you need?

Turns out that before publishing the game (apart from implementing the SDK) there's some paperwork that needs to be done. It's not that much, but it get's worse if you're (a) from Spain and (b) an individual (not a company), and guess what, I'm an individual from Spain, jackpot!

Registering as a company is not an option since it's way too expensive here.

We might have found a solution to all this with the help of someone else, but we're still working on it.

So if you're still working on the game what have you done? I think you are trying to make it bigger, or maybe you no longer want to publish it for free.

The game isn't getting any bigger, this is what we've been doing lately:

1) Polishing the game and trying to finish it, and also throwing a lot of content away when we weren't happy with the result.

2) Paperwork.......

3) Answering e-mails and preparing events.

Regarding the price of the game, our plan has always been to release it for free digitally on Windows, Mac and Linux; right now we can't find a single reason to change that. I can't speak for other distribution methods as those haven't been discussed yet.

Events? I heard you guys went to hoPLAY, anything after that?

We've been in a couple of small national events, a few weeks ago we showcased the game in "Madrid Japan Weekend" where "Missing Translation" won the award of best game in the show(voted by the public).

We'll also be at "Comic Con Spain" showcasing the game soon.

Going to more international festivals to showcase the game would rock, but that depends a lot on calendars, expenses, etc; we'll keep trying in case we get lucky.

The guys from "Made in Spain Games" will be at GDC with a demo of "Missing Translation", so if you see them ask about the game :D

Closing thoughts...

I'm the kind of guy who loves making jams and lots of games to gain experience and get better, I'm excited about finishing "Missing Translation" and moving on to a new project, so yeah, I can't wait to finish it and share this with everyone, but I need to be comfortable with the final product.

So far we got great feedback from the players in every event, sure, the game might not be for everyone but people are enjoying it a lot and "Missing Translation" has quietly become something that, flaws included, makes us proud.

We'll try to publish the game soon but you know how it works, it'll be finished when it's finished.

Best Regards from the dev team (Luis, Gustavo, Albert and Tice)
You can find our portfolio and contact info at AlPixel Games[www.alpixelgames.com]

Ludipe
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2015, 10:04:29 AM »

Hi everyone!

I'm here today in a new "letter to the community" to talk about something that I consider important, I'll also make a quick but cool announcement. But before going into more details I'd like to say that "Missing Translation" has been chosen as a finalist for the 3 Headed Monkey Awards; we've been having a lot of work lately, but we can't tell you all about it yet.

Well, let's move on!

Perhaps you keep up with the gaming news or perhaps you don't really care about them at all. Lately everyone has been talking a lot about misoginy and feminism in games, which brought up some important issues. We even went through this thing thing called "Gamergate"(well, it's still kinda going on) which has probably been one of the worst things the gaming community has experienced in many years, it created too much hate between consumers, devs and journalists.

The important thing is that many developers, including myself, have realized that we need to work on a few things, break some stereotypes and improve the way we conceive most female characters in our games. Most of my games have a neutral protagonist, who isn't a male or a female; I've made some male characters, but so far I haven't created a single female character. That's completely on me, and I kept telling myself that I'd make a female character on my next "big" game and that she would be awesome.

I've been doing this for a while now, until a few weeks ago it hit me. I shouldn't wait for the next game, "Missing Translation" needs an alternative character, a female protagonist that the player may choose if that's what he/she wishes. How could I ask other devs to add a female character if I wasn't able to do the same on "Missing Translation"? Sure, we need to design a new character, re-draw every animation, implement them and search for bugs,etc; but including a new character is even harder in most projects(and takes more time). We knew we had to stop and work on this issue.

So we stopped for a second, talked about it and Gustavo came up with a design for the female character. We're not done with it yet, there's more work to be done before she is fully playable, but we're working on that. Some people might argue that the design has flaws that could be improved, that might be the case, as this kind of things tend to get criticized a lot; but I believe Gustavo did a wonderful job with the art and that we're doing something positive, perhaps most of you think we're just wasting our time or perhaps we're inspiring more people to think about this issue.

At least I know that, with this new character, the game will be more enjoyable for a lot of people, which has always been one of our goals. When it comes to "Missing Translation" all we wanted is to create a cool game that we could share with everyone and that could be enjoyed in any possible way.

And I guess that's all for now, feel free to drop us your thoughts on the comments

Ludipe
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2015, 03:26:27 PM »

Hi everyone!

We're here once again, in a new "open letter" to let you know what's going on with the development ^^
We have three great news that we can't wait to share with you!

We got a publisher

If anyone is wondering, a publisher is a company which will help us with the marketing and distribution of our game. They do PR, pay for events and help porting the game, in exchange they take a small amount of what we make.

We negotiated a special deal and our publisher will take care of the mobile versions while we remain fully in control of PC distribution. Some other publishers offered us good deals, but they wanted to keep the PC distribution rights, and we were totally against that, as we are 100% sure about publishing the game for free.

So our publisher(aka "Made in Spain Games - GamesBoosters") helps us with PR, pays events fees and manages mobile distribution (which is pretty neat)

More nominations, yay!

We just found out today that we have been nominated to four categories in the national game awards, which are the most important game awards in Spain, games like "Castlevania Lords of Shadow" have been finalists in the past.

We are nominated to "Best game of the year", "Best PC game", "Best debut game" and "Best design"; we're extremely proud about it and on 25th June we'll found out if we won any of those.

The award ceremony will take place during Gamelab (a developer conference in Barcelona), so if any of you is around come and say hi :D

Release date

*DRUM ROLL*

And... we've set a release date... and its on... 22th June! Just in a few days! O_O (pretty close,right? Makes me quite nervous)

I'm sorry to say we won't be releasing it on Steam yet, we're going for a "soft-launch". Why would we do that and what does "soft-launch" mean?

Well, we want/need to release the game soon, we'll have the game ready in a week, but it won't include all of the Steam features (plus he mobile port won't be ready). So we're going to publish the full game on a few websites(both the regular and the collector's edition) and once that's ready we'll move on and work on the Steam SDK and the mobile port.

We'll also gather more technical feedback, hoping that, once it's released on Steam, any bug that we might have missed will be already solved.

Closing thoughts!

And that's all for now, we should get back to work, there's still coffee to drink and a whole night ahead to keep working on our project Wink

I know we once said the game was going to be ready for Christmas, that was my mistake, but I want to be completely open to you. Thing is, we are ready to close our project and publish it, sure, it has many flaws, just like any other game on the market, but we've reached a point where I believe spending more time on it wouldn't be good for the project or for ourselves.

I don't really like going around and creating hype, though I understand that winning awards does create hype. We don't try to hide anything and many people have played the game at the many events where we showcased it, soon everyone will be able to play it for free and make up their own minds.

I guess that's all for now, stay tuned! Smiley

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic