Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:29:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFeedback forum
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Feedback forum  (Read 5566 times)
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2007, 11:43:54 AM »

I feel like people post their games illegally in "Indie Games" and where ever else because the Feedback forum is a little bit of an ambiguous section. It's not clear whether it's a WIP game section or one for final announcements. It also seems like people check it a lot less than the sections in "Player", so naturally people want to post it somewhere where more people will see it.
I don't know where I'm going with this, really. Maybe there should be like an official announcement section or something, though then again it might be prone to spam.

What you think.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 12:03:53 PM »

I am guilty of making one of those posts, BMcC was kind enough to relocate it for me.  But then, I didn't read the forum rules!  Maybe if feedback was just not the very, very last category?

cup full of magic charisma
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 12:08:07 PM »

i agree.
i think the high number of "illegal posts" is due in part to how confusing the forum's structures and rules are.

indie games! dont post your indie games in indies games!

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 12:14:22 PM »

I think on the whole a good job is done weeding out posters who fly in and register just to pimp their game for sale. The current policy of two days' shrift allowance prior to BANTSTICK seems fine to me. If they come back it means they weren't just here for the linkdrop.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 12:15:45 PM »

Hm... I think an Official Announcement section (or whatever it'd be called) would indeed be prone to spam and would likely get even less views than Feedback as a result.

Maybe we could make things clearer for new users, yeah, but the issue isn't as much posts going in the wrong place as these guys comin' along and droppin' their announcements (like so much poo) and leaving, never to be seen again.  It's easy enough to move worthwhile posts.

EDIT:  Like I did with Adam's, tee hee!

ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 12:24:29 PM »

The two-day allowance, I feel, is good.

It keeps spammers from dropping their game in and never coming back (which most of them do). I think if you're going to use us to get traffic you might as well stay and make a few posts over a few days at the very least.

What's more disturbing is the people who just drop their stuff in the Feedback forum and then never actually expect feedback, just clicks. Then some overachiever like Guert wastes an hour and a half beating the game to death and posting feedback the OP will never read.

BMcC is right. I'd almost argue that we should lock the Feedback forum from being posted in until you're not a Manbaby.

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 12:50:00 PM »

That's actually a good idea.

jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 02:44:47 PM »

That's actually a good idea.
What is? Smiley

Yeah, the forum categories are a tad confusing for me (who is a relative new user here). For example, this is the "general" section in "the independent games source" forums, how does it differ from the "indie games" section? I've assumed that "general" means "offtopic", and "indie games" is about indie games that you haven't made yourself (because then you'll get banned), but I may be wrong Smiley

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 02:54:13 PM »

You get that there's a difference between talking about your own game versus spamming forums with your game info, just making one post that pimps your game, and then taking off, right?

I think the rules for the "indie games" forum are pretty clear for anyone who bothers to look at the topic list for more than one second. (i.e. people who are actually considering hanging out here rather than just trying to spam a couple extra hits)

jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 03:00:34 PM »

Heh yes, I have read the rules. My post was written with a bit of sarcasm and only related to the names of the categories, not the rules themselves.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 06:26:21 PM »

I like the way it works now... I don't like taking a couple of hours to write up a post that some guy will never read about... If the guy can't read the rules and can't say he's sorry if he mis-posted, I say he deserves to be banned...

Bebop
Level 0

Space Monkey Rocks

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 06:34:16 PM »

I second What Guert Just said
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 06:49:29 PM »

It just doesn't seem like that difficult a concept to grasp to me.  If you took more than a cursory look around the forums, it would all make sense.  There are little notices everywhere, from the stickied announcements to the forum descriptions to the actual threads to the "heads on sticks" (banned/locked threads)...

The Indie Games section is for discussing independent games.  The Feedback forum is for obtaining feedback.  And I can't think of a reason why a developer would bring up his/her own game to be discussed unless they wanted feedback.  Otherwise, you're either a spammer, an egomaniac, or an egomaniacal spammer. Tongue

I can't really think of better titles for the forums that don't sound dumb:

"Offtopic Including Commercial Games"
"Indie Games That Aren't Your Own"
"Feedback for Finished and WIP Games?"

In the end, I like a bit of ambiguity.  It means you have to look around and use your common sense.  And that's kind of the vibe we're trying to go for here, right? Wink
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 06:52:30 PM »

i know, it does makes sense.
i don't know what i was trying to say.

hail derek!

mjau
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 04:40:15 AM »

As a relatively new user around here (I've been lurking for a bit, but this is my first post actually), I think the current system works fine.  That sticky all-caps thread in the Indie Games forum that announce that you're not to spam your own games there is easy to see.
PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007, 03:20:09 PM »

My "feedback".  Smiley

Perhaps call it "Game Feedback", rather than "Feedback".  Feedback, as it's been pointed out, might be too ambiguous.

Unless everybody's happy moderating and weeding out spammers via "Indie Games".  Tongue.  The thing is though, if they're spammers, it's not like they'll be back.

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 01:27:20 AM »

"Feedback
Developers, post your games here for critical feedback from players."

The more you dumb things down, the dumber the bar is set for new members. Tongue

Not to mention it ruins the minimalist aesthetic I got going on!
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2007, 01:50:37 PM »

I guess what i was trying to say is that it seems more of a forum for completed projects. ("Developers, post your games here for critical feedback from players.")

If i have a screenshot or two of something ive been mucking around with, Im not sure whether it's the appropriate place for it.

Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2007, 02:14:11 PM »

How about condensing it?

• Indie Games (of Others) -(discussion)
  • Indie Games (of Yours) -(discussion in feedback form)
PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2007, 03:00:16 PM »

Is "Game Feedback" that unclear and anti-minimalistic?

*shrug*

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic