Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:37:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Boy Who Stole The Sun
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: The Boy Who Stole The Sun  (Read 5290 times)
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 03:46:53 PM »

Really cool decision to go for a live soundtrack! Looking forward to hearing it  Beer!

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
smgorden
Level 0

Gentleman Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2017, 05:54:24 PM »

Really cool decision to go for a live soundtrack! Looking forward to hearing it  Beer!

I should probably make a page or website for this game at some point. I have the soundtrack recorded. Probably need to revisit the mixes, but it would probably be a good move to put some up some videos and at playlist. One of these days I will be an organized person...

Makin' games.
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2017, 09:31:06 PM »

Love the visuals in this game, great colors too!

smgorden
Level 0

Gentleman Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2017, 02:22:09 PM »

@SolS : Thanks! Sprite arts are tricky, but I'm learnin'.

Makin' games.
Beyond
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2017, 07:07:15 PM »

This looks really cute. And the end credits were really good!

- You're a short one, but there's a strong look to you
smgorden
Level 0

Gentleman Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2017, 02:54:02 PM »

@Calle, Thank you- Glad you like it!

Makin' games.
smgorden
Level 0

Gentleman Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2017, 10:09:56 AM »

After much tribulation... my actor objects are scriptable and I am building actual critters.
Here's a gif of me playing around with a Flurry, who has some wandering around patterns and just learned how to dash at the player when nearby.

There's no health system yet, so it maybe looks like he's trying to snuggle. But that's ok. All in good time.

CLICK HERE FOR GIF: https://imgur.com/jrTa9n1

CLICK HERE FOR YOUTUBES:

« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 10:32:59 AM by smgorden » Logged

Makin' games.
smgorden
Level 0

Gentleman Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2017, 10:19:10 AM »

Oh also, I made another gameplay video a while, showing the first round of interactivity for snow piles.
They function as walls unless you punch the snow away. But if the snow piles too high, they'll have a critter inside.

CLICK HERE FOR YOUTUBES:

« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 10:33:25 AM by smgorden » Logged

Makin' games.
qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2017, 01:41:25 PM »

I love seeing dev videos like that! Critters are lookin pretty interesting  Well, hello there!

Why do they hide in the snow? What is their purpose and goal in life? Do they understand or contemplate their own existence? Where do they come from? What do they eat? Will there be a snow pile critter uprising in the future if their kind is oppressed by "humans"? And most importantly, do they enjoy being uncovered from their piles and lifted into the air effortlessly?

Shocked Shocked Shocked
smgorden
Level 0

Gentleman Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2017, 08:32:58 AM »

Thanks! Great questions

I love seeing dev videos like that! Critters are lookin pretty interesting  Well, hello there!

Why do they hide in the snow? What is their purpose and goal in life? Do they understand or contemplate their own existence? Where do they come from? What do they eat? Will there be a snow pile critter uprising in the future if their kind is oppressed by "humans"? And most importantly, do they enjoy being uncovered from their piles and lifted into the air effortlessly?

Shocked Shocked Shocked

1) Dark Magic
2) No, they're essentially benign, but respond to warm-blooded creatures with aggression (and attempt to make it cold).
3) The snow itself is enchanted, they materialize when snow drifts reach critical density.
4) They don't eat
5) There is only one known human currently tromping through their world, but they are not above pointless revolution.
6) No, they hate that sort of invasive mistreatment.

P.S. I making all of this up. But I did enjoy the questions.

P.P.S. In truth, they're the merely the first of several cold, unfeeling creatures to live in this world. They're not a major part of the story, except in that they're a symptom of the imbalance and corruption of nature.

Makin' games.
smgorden
Level 0

Gentleman Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2017, 10:09:51 AM »

New features! Health system is in. (No implementation of death or freezing yet).
I've given the flurry the ability to damage health as well as freeze the player. That's not final, and it's confusing to watch in the video. The distinction in implementation at the moment is that if the flurry is dashing, it damages health. If it's a casual bump while walking around, it freezes.
Also, testing out screen flashes (there are lot more flashes than needed, but again- testing stuff). Currently flashing cyan for a freeze, and white when a status heart is totally frozen.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 04:55:11 PM by smgorden » Logged

Makin' games.
smgorden
Level 0

Gentleman Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2017, 05:59:21 PM »

A couple more interactions put together today. In shallow water, Flurries freeze the surface (and die). In deep or ocean water, Flurries drop in with a splash (and die).

Click to see a GIFV :
LINK
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 07:15:22 PM by smgorden » Logged

Makin' games.
smgorden
Level 0

Gentleman Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2017, 07:33:29 PM »

I went back through my code repository history looking for a file I had written at some point that wasn't around anymore. Realized I started writing my engine code in 2012. Solo dev goes slowly.

On the bright side... I found the file I was looking for, which builds navigation meshes from collision data. Pleased I won't have to code the from scratch again.

Makin' games.
bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2017, 01:45:42 AM »

It looks nice Smiley I love retro-looking games  Kiss

foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2017, 02:24:58 AM »

Interacting with that creature is cute, and I like the style. Smiley I thought it WAS trying to snuggle! You mean you can carry and set down enemy creatures?!

@_monstergarden (game) and @williamzwood (me)
See Monster Garden progress here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56012.0
M0ti
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2017, 03:33:41 AM »

I really like the name of the project. I hope that one day I will also find something as catchy and to the point as is yours. You mentioned how long you are working on it, was it the name from the beginning or does it also get here throuhg some iterations?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 08:25:28 AM by M0ti » Logged

- Twitter -
smgorden
Level 0

Gentleman Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2017, 08:20:21 AM »

You mean you can carry and set down enemy creatures?!

Yes, I'm going to eventually give the give a tool or weapon, but I'm trying not to rely on combat as the main thing. Or rather... that the world is dangerous enough that the boy won't want to engage in combat. He is not strong or capable. Just a kid.

Flurries are likely going to be the first enemies. When his hands are free, he's going to be able to poke or carry things. The Flurries will be useful as tools also... being able to freeze shallow water, and so on.

Makin' games.
smgorden
Level 0

Gentleman Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2017, 08:24:16 AM »

I really like the name of the project. I hope that one day I will also find something as catchy and to the point as is yours. You mentioned how long you are working on it, was it the name from the beginning or does it also get here throuhg some iterations?

The name came about halfway through engine development. I've had it for a while, but not from the beginning. Picking a title is really troubling business. This name came from engaging in LOTS of LOTS of folk tales which were my primary research materials for this game, are they all named by what happens in the story. Folk tales are from oral tradition, not books. So you don't pick titles that look good on a book, you just say what the story is... e.g. "did you ever hear the one about the boy who stole the sun?" That's how I arrived at this one.

Edit: Also... early title attempts were variations on how to refer to cold or arctic environments. I remember putting down "Nor" as in north or some such like that several times. My programmer pals refer to it as snow game in conversation. So most of the time I've been calling it snow game.

Makin' games.
smgorden
Level 0

Gentleman Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2017, 04:55:19 PM »

Hey all, I'm getting into making development videos. I made one about all the bugs I've unleashed recently.
Check it out at your leisure.

Makin' games.
smgorden
Level 0

Gentleman Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2018, 12:55:00 PM »

There are days when counting to four is full of human error.

A bug in the health system got fixed yesterday. Turned out that the code assumed four distinct states for each heart container, which is partially true, in that there are four graphical frames which can be displayed.

But since there are only three of those frames which indiciate some health is left, I realized that I had implemented a three-hits-per-heart system, not a four-hit-per-heart system.

I fixed the display to count properly and show the correct amount of health. But then I tested it in-game. It worked perfectly, but..

It triggered all kinds of OCD. When assigning damage amounts for various hazards, nothing came out evenly. Because I was working with hearts that took an odd number of hits. I don't know why I thought this was a good idea, or if I just can't count to four properly.

Either way, I'm re-designing both the graphics and the back-end code for the heart containers now. I'll just be over here, count properly and makin' games.

Makin' games.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic