Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 01:28:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Boy Who Stole The Sun
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: The Boy Who Stole The Sun  (Read 5365 times)
smgorden
Level 0

Gentleman Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2018, 10:35:19 AM »

Got sprite flashing in with palette animation.
Now just gotta add some knockback to add some physicality to the hits.

(pardon the GIFV compression, I screencap'd)

GIFV on Imgur: https://imgur.com/K8pBnlw

Makin' games.
Sundrop
Level 1

Grandma cooks best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2018, 11:05:37 AM »

White ranger!!!  Screamy This looks great so far!

smgorden
Level 0

Gentleman Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2018, 01:19:38 PM »

White ranger!!!  Screamy This looks great so far!

Haha, oh yeah. I keep forgetting I left my test guy out there.
I call him Bob. He's not really in the game. I just use him to test scripting and such.

Makin' games.
smgorden
Level 0

Gentleman Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2018, 02:56:35 PM »

Set out to fix broken scripts today, and ended up doing optimization instead.

A friend convinced me to run the Analyzer built into VisualStudio. First instrumentation analysis ran the game at 6fps, and gave me a number of things to look into.

Biggest hit on the first pass was image lookups when activating an image for rendering. Added an extra array of reference data so that image lookups would be instant (using image ID, essentially, as an index into this reference array). No more search, no more delay!

Too much snow caused intermittent slowdowns.
Particle system updates had three loops. Cut it down to one loop!

Too many glowing slugs in a room cause intermittent slowdown. Dynamic lighting system for maps was calculating light level for every light in the room for every tile. Cut it down to only do calcs for lights whose radius touched the tile, and then cut it down again to only ever calc 4 lights at most, per tile.

The other major slowdown is from a vsync behavior inherent in using GDI for rendering on modern windows. I could get rid of that vsync, but then I'd get some unacceptable, nauseating jitter in the rendering. So I'll keep the sync until this project switches to SDL for cross-platform goodness.

All that being done... the instrumentation analyzer now runs the game at a solid 60fps, even in debug, which is a pretty huge improvement over the state of things this morning!

#FlexesDebuggingMuscles

Makin' games.
smgorden
Level 0

Gentleman Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2018, 09:45:18 AM »

Catching up on posting my updates videos here. Taking a look at environment interactions, triggering death and watching the animations, and a little discussion of upcoming features.

Makin' games.
smgorden
Level 0

Gentleman Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2018, 09:46:24 AM »

Taking a quick look at DebugBob and his new powers.
Also palette animation on the player character to show damage and freezing.

Makin' games.
smgorden
Level 0

Gentleman Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2018, 09:47:54 AM »

Taking a look at signs, in game text, and all sorts of bugs.

Makin' games.
smgorden
Level 0

Gentleman Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2018, 09:48:49 AM »

Cave Slugs and Crash Bugs.

Makin' games.
smgorden
Level 0

Gentleman Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2018, 09:49:40 AM »

First glimpses of gameplay rhythm. Many icy dangers, and now finally... a heat source! Also showing off some new environment art, and maps that have been inaccessible until now.

Makin' games.
smgorden
Level 0

Gentleman Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2018, 09:50:56 AM »

This one is all about how a loading function eventually busted by whole scripting system. Also some new critter previews at the end.

Makin' games.
smgorden
Level 0

Gentleman Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2018, 07:30:18 AM »

Did some pre-alpha testing with a few people who haven't seen the game yet. My testers were aged 9, 11, and 22, and I learned a ton of things about my game.

One of the basic premises of my game is that many things are cold, and getting too cold leads to death.
Several of my terrain graphics were ambigious as to whether they'd be surfaces that freeze you. Especially cave ice, which has the the further complication that it's usually being viewed in dim light or near-complete-darkness. So lots of the graphics got updated after the first round of testing.

Another issue that came up was the action button not doing what the player expected it to do, even after learning the basic interactions currently implemented. The major place players got frustrated was when trying to pick up a Flurry that has just been punch'd out of a snow pile. The reason for the confusion is that the snow piles would start accumulating again immediately after the flurry was released, which means that there were two objects in front of the player when the action button was pressed. Sometimes, the game would select the snow pile instead of the flurry, and the player wouldn't be able to pick up the flurry, and often take damage from it while they were mashing buttons. I fixed that by making sure that the snow piles don't turn their physics or start accumulating until there are no flurries or the player around it (within two tiles). It seems to work perfectly (thus far).

Some of the other trouble spots were level design issues... places where the leading lines of the terrain don't clearly indicate where the player is supposed to go. So lots of updates were made there.

I also reduced a lot of the terrain damage and added in some forgiveness around the edges of those tiles so that slight overlaps aren't as harsh as they were before. This, in turn, means that I have re-design several areas that were supposed to be dangerous and aren't anymore, but that's alright. I think it'll lead to better level design in the end.

I also learned that children are more likely to explore first and pick up rules as they go, and that 20-something players are eager to establish all the rules and limit their exploration until they know what's expected. Even if that's not a universal truth, I'm going to try and think about both of these approaches (regardless of age) and try to provide enough points of interest and learning to accommodate them.

New terrain graphics:

Shallow Water, now with blending so the boy looks extra-short while wading through.

Ocean, now with deeper, more subtle details.

Cave Ice: now with chunkier-looking danger.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 07:47:07 AM by smgorden » Logged

Makin' games.
smgorden
Level 0

Gentleman Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2018, 07:34:09 AM »

Added a long-overdue debug menu for selecting maps (and spawnpoint) from within the game.
Previously, the only way to launch into a specific map was from the map editor or by typing arguments on the command line.

Map Selection Menu:

Makin' games.
smgorden
Level 0

Gentleman Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2018, 07:38:07 AM »

I decided a little while ago to change the aspect ratio to be close to square.

I think it has to do with taking a vacation and playing lots of Final Fantasy 1 while I was away, and that mostly-square ratio just started to feel very balanced to me.

I had originally intended to make the game higher-res and widescreen, but I've zoomed everything in and don't really need to see as many things on screen at once as I had anticipated. I'm not a purist when it comes to the NES aesthetic, but I feel like the general look and feel is shaping up nicely.

Makin' games.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic