Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411480 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58425 Members - Latest Member: solpreston

April 23, 2024, 09:22:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCopy Girl - Megaman inspired platformer
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Copy Girl - Megaman inspired platformer  (Read 57247 times)
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2015, 06:29:05 AM »

Looks pretty good.

Loving the music!

7Soul
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2015, 01:17:40 PM »

Stain, our first boss character:

7Soul
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2015, 12:07:00 PM »

Fuze, our music themed boss:

Rilem
Level 1

Pirate King

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2015, 02:02:30 PM »

I love her.  Kiss

GIRakaCHEEZER
Level 0

Shining Love

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2015, 02:46:28 PM »

This project is looking pretty good so far, from watching the gameplay demo vid.  You might want to play around with the level design a bit more though, since that first level looks quite literally a bit flat.  There also seems to be a lot of space on the screen in that level, nothing's going on in the top half except for the background sprites.  I'd try to liven that area up a bit, even if it's just with some extra background pieces.

7Soul
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2015, 03:31:26 PM »

This project is looking pretty good so far, from watching the gameplay demo vid.  You might want to play around with the level design a bit more though, since that first level looks quite literally a bit flat.  There also seems to be a lot of space on the screen in that level, nothing's going on in the top half except for the background sprites.  I'd try to liven that area up a bit, even if it's just with some extra background pieces.

Thanks! That's just 1/3 of the level, the other 2/3 is indoors and it uses more of the space:

Recently I also added some springs to the first area, which lets you pick up some collectibles in the upper half of the level

Tokinsom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2015, 06:52:15 PM »

Playing around with a new ability :D

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2015, 09:40:32 PM »

So sweet  Kiss
karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2015, 10:31:50 PM »

Wow, looks very good, halcyon days!
thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2015, 10:22:47 AM »

Wow, no lie, when I was in 6th grade I made these bootleg Mega Man Comics, and I drew a Mega Girl and she looked just like this, holy nostalgia, I must automatically play this now. Plus, I have an undying thirst to play NES style platformers like I'm dying tomorrow ^_^

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2015, 01:41:12 PM »

^ Haha I'm excited to play a NES style platformer too.. But this looks like it controls sooo much nicer   Hand Thumbs Up Right
The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2015, 05:14:35 PM »

Will this have a level editor of any kind?

I'm not sure that a finite number will be enough.

Tokinsom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2015, 05:51:18 PM »

Hah! C2's built-in layout editor is actually pretty good so we're sticking with it this time around. As fun as it would be to have a public level editor, it would take an enourmous amount of time and isn't entirely possible in C2 given our options :T

Derity
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2015, 01:54:51 AM »

Colour me interested!  Grin

One of my earliest memories of gaming was when I was like 5 years old playing Megaman 3, I sucked at it but I played it every day! So Megaman type games really have a special place in my heart, haha.

Loving the look of this so far, the music sounded great too! I would love to see you come up with some or at-least a unique mechanic to give this game it's own legs to stand on though, yeah it's like Megaman but it doesn't HAVE to be a clone unless that's really what you want.

blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2015, 07:56:30 AM »

Hah! C2's built-in layout editor is actually pretty good so we're sticking with it this time around. As fun as it would be to have a public level editor, it would take an enourmous amount of time and isn't entirely possible in C2 given our options :T

Possible? - Yes
Worth it? - I HIGHLY doubt it.

C2 is a pretty strong platform, but it is also very straight forward. Getting into custom levels would be a very complicated process (there is a game on the scirra forum that's going for that, but the events that go into it are friggin nuts)

Anyways, this project looks pretty fantastic. While I didn't play mega man much as a kid, my adult self loves the series. I am rather curious what you do to make the game a bit more unique (whether it's through weapons or mechanics)

OH OH! Can we have a boss rush mode as well? Pleeeeease.

Tokinsom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2015, 09:48:20 AM »

Well for starters, it seems I favor the X series whereas 7soul favors the Classic MM series, so we're trying to work in a little bit of both. We want the fast-paced action, story/character elements, and general badassery of the X series, but with the stylings, puzzles, and strategic elements of the classics. The first gameplay preview isn't very indicative of that, but it's early days still! That bit of the level was literally the first thing we built outside of the test rooms, and has already gone through a few revisions.

Anyway, we have a long way to go but Copy Girl is certainly beginning to take a shape of its own. There are already 20+ Megaman games out there, we don't just want to throw another one on the pile!

@Blekdar It's really not that difficult to make level editors in C2. The problem is there's no way to use tiles (runtime tilemap object doesn't have half the features we'd need, and we'd be fools to use sprite objects), and object management would be a joke. The runtime tilemap object isn't even good enough to use with Tiled, sadly...so again, the layout editor takes the cake. As for boss rush mode...I'll talk to 7soul about it :D
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 10:53:06 AM by Tokinsom » Logged

Tokinsom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2015, 04:00:38 PM »

Finished the Sound Barrier ability a little while ago. It'll bounce off enemies, walls, or Copy, and doubles in strength each time. It also grants you a bit of invincibility when bouncing off of you. It's particularly useful against enemies in a line formation or larger stationary enemies - the inktopus at the end takes 16 shots with the default pistol! Uses up a fair amount of energy though.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2015, 06:13:54 AM »

I wanted to say, this looks great. The art's really solid, and has me thinking about the finer points of constructing a platforming game scene; seems like I fail in composition, and this is a really good example of it. Great work!

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2015, 06:56:14 AM »

First time seeing this on TIG, and after combing through the log I just wanna say, holy cow the crisp/vibrant/so-well-crafted pixel art is outstanding. Just, one of the best I've seen lately. Keep it up! Beer!

SousaVilla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2015, 02:44:23 PM »

wow, this is awesome. The world cannot have enough megaman style of games,  Beer!

I really liked that sound barrier. It feels you could be really strategic about it and I don't remember seeing anything similar in other games. Cool!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic